2 minis, both are shutting down ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by SugarBowl, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Mar 6, 2017 #1 of 15
    SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    I have 2 minis.. Recently, when i turn on the TV to watch, the TV says no signal. The mini does not appear to be turned on. I unplug the mini's power supply from the wall, and plug it back in. This brings the mini back to life.

This seems to happen a couple of times a month.

If it was 1 mini, i would suspect that the mini is bad. But it's happening on both mini's in 2 different rooms.

2. Mar 6, 2017 #2 of 15
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    And how are your mini's networked, Ethernet or MoCA?

3. Mar 6, 2017 #3 of 15
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    And how do you leave the Minis when you are done? TiVo button or Standby or just let them time out?

4. Mar 6, 2017 #4 of 15
    SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    They are both Moca. And i usually push the Tivo button before turning off the TV. It's also possible the kids leave it paused on a netflix show.

5. Mar 7, 2017 #5 of 15
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Do you have a MoCA filter on the input of the first splitter to enter your home?
    Are your splitters actually MoCA optimized like the Verizon and Holland brands or standard splitters?
    Have you set fixed/static/reserved IP's for all your Tivos on your router?

6. Mar 7, 2017 #6 of 15
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Are these v1 or v2 Mini units? The TSN will start with A92 or A93. I have both and while I never just hit the TiVo button when finished, I can do that and see if I can duplicate your problem. To the best of my knowledge the only way to have "no signal" is by putting the Mini into Standby.

7. Mar 8, 2017 #7 of 15
    SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    When the mini is in standby, you can push the Tivo button to wake it up, can't you? My mini's are not responsive at all.. it's like the cord has been pulled. But unplugging from the wall, and plugging back in, fixes it.

8. Mar 8, 2017 #8 of 15
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You are correct. I've no idea what's wrong. If it was just one I would say a bad unit. But two? That's weird. Sorry.

9. Mar 9, 2017 #9 of 15
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Are they both plugged-in to the same brand or model of TV?

Do you have to power cycle the Mini? Have you tried only unplugging the HDMI cable from the TV and plugging it back in, either to the same or different HDMI port? This doesn't sound entirely different from HDMI display issues that I have with my laptop connected to my Sony HDTV.)

Alternatively, is either Mini powered through a UPS? If not, it might be something to test, if you have a spare UPS lying around. (Completely speculative, lacking any clue beyond a potential HDMI handshake issue.)

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You might also check your TV manufacturer for any software/firmware updates for your TVs.

Have you logged a call to TiVo Support?

11. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    both tv's are vizios. I will try some of these suggestions.

12. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Another suggestion. Hit the TiVo button before you apply power to the TV.

13. swong_88

swong_88 Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Hello all,

I just started having the same issue.. About a month ago, one of my Tivo Minis seemed to shut down on it's own. When I turned on my TV, it would say "No Signal".. I have tried to unplug the HDMI cable, plug it into another port, etc.. I have also unplugged it from the Mini itself thinking that it could be an HDMI handshaking issue.. No luck.. The only way to fix it is to un-plug the power cable. It is hooked up to an LG TV.. The same setup has been working fine for the last 3 years... Then it started to happen on another Tivo Mini also hooked up to a similar LG TV.. Again, this same setup has been working fine for the last 3 years.. It feels like it somehow magically it went into StandBy mode but nothing wakes it up. Tivo Button, or any of the buttons on the remote. I can't say if I remember the state when I turn off the TV. Sometimes I press the Tivo Button before shutting off the TV, other times I just shut off the TV with it on Live TV... Anybody else see this issue???

I have the Minis all connected through MoCA and both are connected directly to the wall socket for power..

14. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    If you can log into your router the next time your mini(s) go out and find where all the connected devices are listed and see that the minis are still there, it is almost certain that it is an HDMI issue, which ironically the latest software was supposed to fix.
    Although it probably won't do any good, I always recommend to assign fixed/static/reserved IP's for all Tivos on the router.

15. adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I wonder if you had the AV cables connected to some sort of AV receiver or amp, if you would be able get sound when this happened.
    That would tell you if the mini was truly locked up, or if it was an HDMI issue.
    Maybe if you have a composite input on the TV, hook it up via composite cable also, and try switching to that input when this happens to see what happens.