2 Locations - 2 Cable Cards - One TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by michael1248, Aug 2, 2011.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Of course, if money was no object, I'd just buy a second TiVo.....

But, I plan on splitting my time between 2 locations for the foreseeable future. Currently, I have a Time Warner cable card (without a tuning adapter) in my present location. The card is only about $2.50 per month.

When I change locations in about 2 months, I plan on taking my TiVo with me and hooking it up to whatever cable system is locally available. (For all I know it may be Time-Warner.)

Can I remove my first (still active) cable card, re-install a different one on the second cable system and then switch back and forth by re-doing the setup procedure?

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    That should work, although it will be a pain to have to call the cable company each time you move back and forth to get the proper CableCARD re-paired with the TiVo.

Also, since your channel lineup will keep changing, you might have to re-setup your Season Passes each time, I'm not sure.

3. Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Depending on the cable company, you may have to call them each and every time you swap cards. Some companies tie the card to the box, some only tie it to an account.

4. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    You could buy a second hard drive, clone your existing drive, and then use each drive in only one location. Each drive will store the cable card authorization and channel list for one location, just like having 2 Tivos.

5. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Technically a second hard drive would be the easiest solution. The only problem is you will not cary your recorded shows with you.