2 bad disks? or bad PS?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by snotblower, Jan 7, 2012.

1. snotblower

snotblower New Member

Jan 5, 2004
    I have a Tivo HD w/ lifetime subscription.

I bought it used a couple of years ago... but I know the person that had it and they really never even set the darn thing up. It was for all practical purposes new.

I immediately updated it to a 1GB drive and stored the original away in a safe place.

Yesterday the drive seemed to start acting up. I got 2-3 reboots... then this morning it was a cyclic reboot. I forced a green screen on it... and it went cyclic before the green screen should have finished.

I RMA'ed the drive (still under warranty) and fetched the original. I put the original in and it worked fine. I forced a few connections to tivo and forced a reboot (it said it had updates pending a reboot) to get it going and all seemed right with the world.

6 hours later, it's cyclic. Sometimes it gives "welcome, powering up" and sometimes it falls back to a fast blinking green LED -- no video out. Reseting the power seems to get it back to Welcome.

Ideas?

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Hard to believe that an S3HD would require SW updates. They haven't rolled any out for quite awhile. I suppose that the original drive might have never gotten an update from the factory loaded version. Anyway, it's sounding like it might be the power supply. There are known issues with the electrolytic capacitors (the barrel shaped ones) going bad. Unplug the box and take a look to see if any of them has kind of a dome shape on top (they should be flat). You can also Google "capacitor disease" for added info. If you feel comfortable using a soldering iron, you can buy new caps and replace them fairly inexpensively.

3. snotblower

snotblower New Member

Jan 5, 2004
    I don't see anything rounded or bulging on the PS board. I don't have a clue how to debug a bad PS... anybody have a pinout of the connector? I can at least check the outputs if they're known.

4. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Send Unitron a PM. He seems to know pinouts for many of the power supplies.

5. snotblower

snotblower New Member

Jan 5, 2004
    I think I found it online in another thread. Right now the box is back up and running (for about 12 hours). When it crashes again (and I expect it to) I'll try to run through the PS pins. As it is working now, I don't expect to get bad readings.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you found a power supply pinout around here somewhere that I posted, it's probably for a single tuner Series 2 that used a ribbon cable between PS and motherboard, I have a vague memory of finding and copying one online somewhere.

Clip the voltmeter ground lead to the metal chassis well away from where the AC plugs in, and then use the positive lead (set the meter for 20 or 25 Volts) to carefully probe into the individual holes in the plug on the motherboard.

Black wire ground, should read 0

Yellow should read +12

Red should read +5

Orange, if there is one, should read +3.3

If one of them's low, try again with the drive unplugged and see if there's a change.

Report back.

7. lillevig

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I hate to mention the possibility that it is a heat related intermittant problem. The fact that it works for awhile after you shut it down to check something out does play into that possibility. Given that it has been back up for 12 hours is encouraging. Have you blown out the accumulated dust recently? Doesn't take much of that in the wrong place to cause an intermittant failure. Then again, I've opened up a couple of used, working boxes and found enough dust kitties to knit a sweater. ;)

8. snotblower

snotblower New Member

Jan 5, 2004
    It was surprisingly clean... though if/when it fails again, I can give it a good once over with compressed air. I'll also check the voltages if/when it fails... but I ain't touching it until then. :)