1TB My Book DVR extender won't move from HD to Premiere Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Jish, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Jish

Jish New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I called TiVo and they can't figure it out yet either.

I have an officially sanctioned WD 1TB My Book AV DVR Expander that was working for months on my TiVo HD (RCN leased).

I have purchased a TiVo premiere elite and want to move this drive to the new box (I realize I will lose the recordings). I have tried every combination of steps including making sure the old TiVo boots up, recognizes the drive missing, and "unpairs"...

But no matter what - the new TiVo recognizes the drive but then says it is unsupported. I read the model number to the TiVo support guys on the phone and they confirmed it should be supported and they don't know what is wrong. They also confirmed I have the latest software.

This is really bumming me out and making me very worried about my Premiere Elite purchase - can somebody make a suggestion?

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Since you're going to lose the recordings anyway, can you hook the drive to a computer and boot with the MFS Live cd and run

dd /dev/zero /dev/whereverthedriveishookedup

to erase everything on it so that the new Premiere sees a "virgin" drive and doesn't think you're trying to defeat DRM or something? (TiVos don't have error messages for every last contingency and sometimes use whatever comes closest to the situation)