1TB eSATA $329 for Series3 - Limited Time

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by richsadams, Nov 29, 2007.

1. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003

Advertisements

EDIT 12/04/07: I just noticed that Apricorn is no longer offering a rebate on their 1TB DVR Xpander. Now the drive costs $379...which is no longer a real bargain. :(

Just a "heads up" for anyone wanting to easily add some fairly economical real estate to their Series3 for the holidays. Apricorn is selling their 1TB DVR Xpander for $329 after rebate. It should be an ideal plug and play solution for TiVo Series3's. (NOTE: It will not work with TiVo HD's via P&P - see the Official eSATA Drive Expansion in 9.2: FAQ + Discussion thread for more info on that.)

Apricorn DVR Xpander line

The price is noteworthy as it just about meets or beats the DIY alternative:

$259.99 - WD 1TB GP HDD
    $ 69.99 - Antec MX-1 Enclosure
    $ 19.99 - SIIG eSATA cable

Total = $349.97 (Current pricing at newegg.com)​

All of the listed parts can be found individually for a little less elsewhere. However for those not wanting to build their own solution and would like to just plug it in and go, the Apricorn drive is fairly competitive with the $50 rebate. (Not sure when the rebate will end.) There are a number of TCF folks using Apricorn eSATA drives already without any problems.

Again, please refer to the Official eSATA Drive Expansion in 9.2: FAQ + Discussion thread for more info about eSATA drives and answers to any questions.

FWIW I built my own expansion drive using the MX-1 and a Seagate DB35 drive back in May and have really enjoyed the extra space...YMMV. ;)

2. hoyty

hoyty Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Sammamish, WA
    Why do you need an eSATA cable since the MX-1 includes one? Also does Apricorn tell you what drive is in their box?

3. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    The eSATA cable we received w/our MX-1 back in May has been working flawlessly however there were numerous reports of problems with them for a few months and it was recommended that the SIIG cables be used instead. (I have one in a drawer JIC.) More on that here.

Apricorn had been using WD drives and my guess is that the 1TB is a WD drive. If you contact them they'll probably be happy to let you know.

Again, the Apricorn DVR Xpander is a good (and right now the only AFAIK) P&P 1TB solution for those not wanting to build their own expansion drive for an S3.

4. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I know it isn't directly comparable, but at work I've dealt with a dozen Apricorn 20 GB USB drives. They're small, quiet, cool, but in my limited experience VERY unreliable. I've had problems with most of them after just over a year of light use. They just suddenly either (A) die completely without warning or (B) suddenly lose data due to NTFS corruption. I really can't explain it. I've also been using external Maxtor, WD, and Seagate drives and I've had no problems with any of them.

FWIW, the Apricorns were ordered in at least 2 groups, so I can't say that it's a single bad batch. I just hope my experience isn't a common one. Caveat emptor.

5. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003

Advertisements

Good to know. So far the Apricorn drives continue to be recommended based on the feedback from the TCF folks using them as eSATA drives (links above). There was one post of a drive failing, but that was replaced by Apricorn and all seems to be good now.

The Apricorn Xpanders come w/one year warranties where as a bare drive usually has a three to five year warranty.

I've used several Apricorn enclosures over the years and they were quite good...guess it all depends though. As with anything these days, buyer beware.

6. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    EDIT 12/04/07: After several several people tried the drive mentioned below, none have had success using it as an expansion drive for the TiVo Series3. The reason it won't work hasn't been discovered. I can no longer recommend it.

This WD My Book Home Edition external drive is now being stocked at our local Costco.

See the first post on this thread for more eSATA info.

7. stretch35

stretch35 New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    HI I bought this drive at costco more than a month ago along with SIIg esata cable but haven't tried it out yet on S3..seems to bu so much warning about going off of list..but reall except for the fact that it seems to have a soft power switch looks like same overal design as official tivo expander..power save function seems to not apply to esata connected drive..

8. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    They must be slow putting things on the shelves out here. :mad: Costco did have the WD 1TB My Book Essential for sale here but that only had a USB connection.

There are other (smaller) WD eSATA My Books being used currently on S3's without any reported problems. Let us know how it goes once it's connected! :up:

9. Dec 3, 2007 #9 of 51
    radavi98

radavi98 New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Depending on Fed Ex, I should have my Apricorn 1TB delivered today. Will post more comments post install. I talked with the tech prior to purchase and he said that they use WD drives but could not/would not confirm the model number. Also did not know if they substitute drives.

10. Kenji

Kenji New Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Oakland,...
    For whatever it's worth, my S3 reports that the attached Apricorn 500 GB DVR Xpander has a WD hard drive of some sort.

11. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Thanks for that. If you go to the second screen under System Information you should see a number in the "External Storage" line.

System Info External Storage Screen example

Can you post the number? It may/should be the drive model. (Our Seagate drive model shows up.) If it is, it would be great if radavi98 can post the number he's seeing with his new Apricorn 1TB eSATA HDD to see which WD model it is (or what kind of a HDD it is in any case).

Thanks again! :up:

12. radavi98

radavi98 New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Received the Apricorn 1 TB drive and installed it yesterday. Instructions were only for a Scientific Atlanta 8300, but still followed the directions until the point of finding the right spot in the TiVo menu to format. It is a WD drive but did not verify the specific model number, but will post after I get home to check. Everything fired up and the unit is quiet enough not to be a bother. Only issue is that the front LED is very bright even behind the black speaker cover thats on the entertainment center. Now shows 165 hours of HD available vs the 30 standard. As long as its reliable, its well worth the price

13. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
  14. Kenji

Kenji New Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Oakland,...
    Sure thing. My S3 recognizes the 500 GB Apricorn DVR Xpander as drive "WDC WD5000AAKS-OOTMAO 12.01C01". I may have transposed some oh's and zero's since they appear identical in the S3's on-screen font.

15. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Thanks very much for that. :up:

Based on the model number (WDC WD5000AAKS-00TMA00) the drive you have inside of your Apricorn eSATA case is this one:

WD Caviar SE16

It received 4.5 out of 5.0 stars in a PC World Magazine review with high marks for running silent and cool. Summary:

Your new drive will live long and prosper. Enjoy the new real estate! :)

Thanks again for posting that. Hopefully we can get the same info for the Apricorn 1TB model soon.

16. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Excellent news and congrats! :up:

When you have a moment, as Kenji did above, can you go to the second screen under System Information and tell us what number is listed in the "External Storage" line?

System Info External Storage Screen example

It would be interesting to know which drive Apricorn is using in their 1TB DVR Xpanders.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, if you want to get rid of the light on the drive’s front panel, a little electrical tape should do the trick. ;)

17. Kenji

Kenji New Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Oakland,...
    You're welcome. And thank you for all of your informative posts regarding this subject. :up:

18. radavi98

radavi98 New Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Apricorn HD Model number is WD10EACS-00ZJB0 Will do on the tape. It was the same fix I used on my old Saab that had a pesky "Shift Up" light ;-)

19. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Thanks much for the drive info. :up:

That means that Apricorn's 1TB DVR Xpander is using the OEM version of WD's 1TB GP HDD which is what I/we suspected. Apricorn has been using WD drives for a while now.

WD Caviar GP

It's one of the coolest running (temp-wise), lowest power consuming, quietest drives available. The drive itself has received positive reviews. Here's one if you ever want to read up on it:

WD 1TB GP Drive review - Tom's Hardware

20. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    I just noticed that Apricorn is no longer offering a rebate on their 1TB DVR Xpander. Now the drive costs $379...which is no longer a real bargain. :(