1TB Bolt Continuous Reboot Cycle

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by Killer69, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Feb 8, 2016 #1 of 10
    Killer69

Killer69 Free Your Inner TiVo

Jun 16, 2004
    Saint Paul, MN

Advertisements

I have a 1TB Bolt that is in a constant reboot cycle. The Bolt shows the TiVo screen then moves to the "a few minutes more" screen then reboots and continues in this reboot cycle.

One by one, I removed the cablecard (comcast), network cable, coax, HDMI to see if those items could have caused the reboots. This did not resolve the reboots. I have also tried to unplug the Bolt for a few minutes and plugged it back in. This didn't correct the issue either.

This Bolt is unmodified, not running hot or had other issues (in fact, I'm very happy with the bolt!).

Any ideas on how to correct this issue?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  2. Feb 8, 2016 #2 of 10
    heifer624

heifer624 Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Florida's...
    got another hard drive you could try?

3. Feb 8, 2016 #3 of 10
    Killer69

Jun 16, 2004
    Saint Paul, MN
    I could pick one up. I'd rather not go that route unless the recordings, OnePasses and other stuff will be maintained going forward.

4. Feb 8, 2016 #4 of 10
    cjgadd3

cjgadd3 Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Did you try a hard reboot? In other words, pulling the plug for a minute or so.

5. Feb 8, 2016 #5 of 10
    Killer69

Jun 16, 2004
    Saint Paul, MN

Advertisements

I failed to mention that in the original post. I've update the post.

Yes, I have tied to unplug, let it sit for a few mins (~10) and plugged it in. The reboot cycle continues.

I unplugged it before bed last night. I will plug it in when I get home tonight. I'm not confident that this "long sleep" will correct it.

6. Feb 9, 2016 #6 of 10
    elas123

elas123 New Member

Dec 31, 2003
    mine 500g bolt did this after i upgraded the hd to a 4tb. i would be good for a day or so then do exactly what u describe. mine eventually went off and never came back on. im thinking now maybe a bad power supply?

7. Feb 9, 2016 #7 of 10
    TiVoSupport_Sarah

TiVoSupport_Sarah TiVo Representative

Mar 30, 2015
    Killer,
    Is this box plugged into a power strip? If it is can you plug it directly into the wall outlet and check to see if the issue remains?

8. Killer69

Jun 16, 2004
    Saint Paul, MN
    Thanks for the suggestion. I plugged the TiVo directly into the wall but the issue remains.

I called TiVo technical support and went though the same procedures again.
    1. Unplug all cables (network, external HDD, optical, etc) except HDMI cable.
    2. Plug TiVo directly into the wall.
    3. Try to boot again.

The rep that spoke with indicated this a likely an issue with the HDD. My TiVo was ~3 months old. I'm concerned/surprised that the HDD would die so quickly. I'm disappointed my saved shows and one passes are gone/have to be recreated.

Overall, I'm pleased with how TiVo has handled this case.

9. jimbo88

jimbo88 New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Santa Maria, CA
    Yesterday I experienced the same reboot loop with my new Bolt 1tb straight out of the box. Contacted TiVo tech support and they had me plug straight into the wall outlet and use the hdmi cable supplied with the unit. No luck. The TiVo still went into reboot mode. Tech support diagnosed it as a hard drive failure. It went back to Amazon today & I'll receive a replacement unit on Tuesday. Fingers are crossed!

10. Covert Rain

Covert Rain New Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Mine starting doing this yesterday as well. It has randomly rebooted (twice while watching Hulu and once while watching something from the DVR). On two of the instances it went to a snow screen before rebooting. The last time it simply froze then rebooted.

This sucks.