1T drive upgrade time.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by dieselnutjob, Apr 16, 2009.

1. dieselnutjob

dieselnutjob New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Ruislip, UK
    It's quite a few years since I last upgraded by Tivo
    current spec (from memory):-
    UK spec
    single 80Gb drive
    cachecard with 512M ram
    tivoweb

it only records off a freeview box using scart

lately we've noticed that we're not so happy with using the low quality setting

so... I bought a Western Digital WD10EACS 1T drive, and part number A05HL SATA to ATA converter from Maplin, picture here http://images.maplin.co.uk/300/a05hl.jpg

the drive arrived today and hopefully the converter tomorrow.

I'm not sure if this converter feeds power to the SATA drive as well, I hope so.

We have an old Sony 22 inch Trinitron telly which I suppose one day I'll replace with a flat one. I don't suppose I'll buy a huge telly though as we only sit 10ft from the screen.

Some questions.

1. Yes I know I need LBA48 kernel, but I'm a little worried that if Tivo inc ever then tried to do a software upgrade and change the kernel wouldn't that be a problem?

2. Am I really going to notice the difference between highest quality and Mode 0 with my setup? should I bother with that mod too?

3. currently I do sometimes copy programs off the tivo over ethernet onto my PC. Is this viable in higher quality modes? presumably the files get huge

4. I use tytool to do the copying onto my PC (haven't done it for a while). Is there a better tool available now? is there one I could run on a Linux desktop?

Any other problems I'm likely to have?

thanks

2. Chips N Guac

Chips N Guac New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I dont know about your questions.. I just wanted to respond to the comment I have quoted. Your TV size should roughly equal half the viewing distance. If you sit 10ft from the screen, 10ft x 12 inches per foot = 120 total inches of viewing distance. Half of 120 is 60... therefore your optimal size TV for that viewing distance is a 60" TV. :up:

3. dieselnutjob

dieselnutjob New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Ruislip, UK
    the sata to pata converter arrived this morning
    it says in the instructions that only support SATA Generation 1, 1.5GB/s mode

the 1T drive on the other hand is 3GB/s.

However it says that if I jumper pins 5 and 6 together that this engages OPT1 mode which will also limit the drive to 1.5GB/s.

it sounds like I should set this jumper

any reason not to?

4. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Still learning

Oct 5, 2002
    Reading,...
    Firstly the adapter is as far as I am aware as yet untested in a TiVo. So good luck. Regarding speed the TiVo ATA interface is only ATA 33 I think (stand to be corrected) so the SATA speed has no real relevance. I would try it both way if it works at all.

5. B33K34

B33K34 ENABLED!

Feb 9, 2003
    London
    Can anyone recommend an IDE/SATA converter than will work with Tivo?

6. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    The normal measurement is 3x or 6x height depending on whether you're dealing with HD or SD.

So for a 60" screen that would be 30" high, for SD viewing would be about 15 feet viewing distance (7.5 feet for HD), or going the other way around, you'd want no bigger than 42" at 10 feet for SD.

Because most people don't rearrange their furniture when switching between SD and HD they normally end up somewhere in the middle.. I tend to optimise for HD as I watch a fair amount of that.

(heights from ScreenMath, which is worth the read all on its own).

7. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    A 22 inch TV from 10 feet away - I don't think you're going to see much (any?) difference.

8. dieselnutjob

dieselnutjob New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Ruislip, UK
    more like 8ft

anyway......

the drive is copying old to new at this very moment
    I'm copying the entire contents, programs n all

the bios in my old PC didn't like the 1T drive much (said it was invalid), but the kernel in the MFStools CD seems just fine with it

used this command
    mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda

I'll leave it overnight
    tomorrow morning we'll see if the Tivo likes the drive or not

MUST REMEMBER TO COPY LBA48 KERNEL in the morning (shouting at myself)

9. dieselnutjob

dieselnutjob New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Ruislip, UK
    bad news
    tivo gets stuck at "Welcome. Powering up"
    I guess it doesn't like the SATA to ATA converter.
    Anyone know a UK supplier where I can get a converter that is known to work?

10. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I don't know for sure, but i doubt it would get that far if it was a problem with the disk. After all that screen is loaded from the disk!

Double check you've done all teh LBA48 stuff.

11. dieselnutjob

dieselnutjob New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Ruislip, UK
    Found out that tivoheaven have a converter which they seem to "guarantee" will work with WD green drives, and cheaper than Maplin too.
    I'm sure I can get a refund off Maplin if I stick it back in the original packaging.

12. B33K34

B33K34 ENABLED!

Feb 9, 2003
    London
  13. dieselnutjob

dieselnutjob New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Ruislip, UK
    it's working :)
    so don't buy a sata to ide converter from maplin
    the only change I made was to set the swap partition to 500
    from my understanding there is a bug in mfstools setting a swap bigger that 127, but, when you run copykern it then overwrites / fixes the bad swap partition so now you can go bigger than 127
    the only other gotcha is that you can't just boot the CD and run copykern
    you have to boot the CD and type something like "mount /dev/hdb /cdrom" assuming that hdb is your CDROM drive
    the copykern command assumes that the CD is mounted in /cdrom, but that doesn't happen by default
    also it won't let you select hda so your new 1T tivo drive can't be connected as primary master
    I copied everything off the old drive including 60G of programs in about 3 hours. That's on an old pentium 3 but it does have a UDMA100 drive controller

14. mutant_matt2

mutant_matt2 New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    That tripped me up last time also. If I had seen your post earlier, I could have mentioned it (that and the fact you'll want a bigger swap than 127! ;) ).

Glad it worked out, and the contents of this thread will be useful for others in the future, I'm sure :)

Matt.

15. B33K34

B33K34 ENABLED!

Feb 9, 2003
    London
    Worked flawlessly with the Seagate Pipeline i took out of my Humax Foxsat HDR both in my PC and tivo.

16. dieselnutjob

dieselnutjob New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Ruislip, UK
    in the end my TV blew up anyway.... I now have a 37" samsung LCD telly which seems huge.
    Although it's a 1080P telly I've got no HD sources yet, but as I'm on virgin media I suppose a V+ box will be the way to go
    currently the best picture on the samsung is built in freeview
    DVD (scart) comes second
    Tivo a close third
    standard virgin media box gives a pretty poor picture on a 37"

anyway that's all off topic

I'm also finding that the menus on my tivo are quite slow with this 1T drive.
    I have a cache card with 512Mb ram in it

is there anything I should check (I can telnet in) to see why menus are so slow?

17. jeremy Parsons

jeremy Parsons Very Advanced Member

Jan 6, 2002
    Surrey
    I upgraded to the WD Green 750Gb Drive is worked flawlessly , the biggest issue was the drive in tivo we so knackered I had to backup the season pass and the hack directory restore the previous image I had from a previous upgrade.

I used the reccomended SATA adapters specified on this site and after the messing around to recover the season passes it all went like a dream.

The picture quality is greatly improved , that makes tivo 1 on the 4th set of disks, 40gb fireball , 2 x 120Gb maxstore and then 2 x 200GB Segate Barricuda and now 750GB WD Green Hard disk

18. dieselnutjob

dieselnutjob New Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Ruislip, UK
    is your menu navigation slow?