1983 (Netflix) **spoilers**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cheesesteak, Jan 11, 2019.

1. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...

Advertisements

1983 | Netflix Official Site

I binged this eight episode, alternate history suspense thriller, set mostly in 2003 Poland, over the last couple of days. It's tone is similar to Counterpart and The Man In The High Castle, at least to me. It's a Polish series that's been dubbed into English. I also kept the closed captions on for the proper names and like in a number of these English dubbed shows, the dubbing and captioning are similar but different.

I liked it. If others watch, maybe they can clear up the final 15 minutes or so for me.

2. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm not sure what the conclusion meant either. Apparently, the 'doctors' smuggled into the country were part of the 12 March attacks, but who they were working for is still unclear.

In the alt-history, Poland is still in the Soviet orbit but with some degree of autonomy because they have their own nukes?

I couldn't follow the Israeli connection at all. They kept talking to the American intelligence officer as if she were Mossad.

One thing that seemed really off to me was when the American general said they had plans to roll our tanks through Poland to get to Moscow. I think the only plans we had on Poland was the tactical nuke strikes to cut the Soviet invasion force's supply lines.

3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I kept waiting for the coup to happen in the last episode but it didn't or at least I don't think it happened.

I got the impression that Poland's nukes were a secret that nobody but a few people knew about.

I guess that the Irish "priest" was an American agent?

The Mossad angle was confusing.

But I liked it and will watch a season 2 if there is one.