161-* Error Codes

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bobharp, Dec 20, 2006.

1. bobharp

bobharp Member

Jan 17, 2003

Advertisements

Is there any guide (or list) for diagnosing these error code issues?
    I have Comcast coming for try #2 on getting cable cards to work this Friday.
    I had a 161-1 on one card the other just plain did not work.

2. bifsiff94

bifsiff94 Cliff Hanger

Dec 11, 2006
    Port...
    was on Monday. Two guys, one on his first day, and one who had done 1 cablecard install before. I told them that it was tricky, but that if they take it slow and do one card at a time, they'll be OK. They were complaining the whole time about how they hate cablecard installs. They look at me like I'm the devil himself.

Right away, they pop both cards in. I'm biting my tongue because they obviously aren't going to listen to me, or the tivo instructions. Luckily, the tech on the phone had done a few of these and convinced them to do the cards one at a time.

They got one card to work, could get the other one to work. Moved cards back and forth, unplugged the tivo numerous times. Finally in exasperation trying to figure out what to do next, they ended up waiting about 5 minutes and voila, the second card finally started to work. All they had to do was be patient. If they follow the instructions and wait 5 minutes after popping in card 2, they would have been done in about 15 minutes flat.

And when the 161-4 error pops up, they didn't know what to do. I had to tell them that it was a good thing. My uneducated theory on the 161-4 based on observation during my install is that if you aren't subscribed to every possible channel, you get this error. It seemed to be popping up after doing a channel scan. Well, nobody will be subscribed to all channels, so everyone should get the error. The bad thing is that the error sounds like a VERY serious problem when you see it on screen.

I don't know about a 161-1 error.

3. mishafp

mishafp Member

Nov 7, 2006
    161-1 error means you have a bad card- I had that error and when they brought a new one, it went away. Just ask them to bring a batch of cards next time.

4. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    Actually, I doubt it's a bad card. You can always try a new card, and if it works, it doesn't mean the old card was bad.

Their answer to everything is that the card is bad, but I'm betting that's wrong about 99% of the time.

5. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA

Advertisements

Mostly, I agree with you here. My guess is that most "bad" cards are just misconfigured at the Cable company, and that's why they can never get them to work correctly.

However, with the 161-* errors, something pretty low-level is going wrong with the communication between the card and the host. For example, 161-1 means

So, either the host isn't correctly detecting the signal from the card, or the card isn't asserting it. Either case - something bad is going on.

For the 161-4 error,
    There's still something "bad" going on from the host perspective (the card stopped talking to the host). But, for some reason, when a Motorola card's being initialized, it's causing that particular error condition.

BTW, the 161-* errors are defined in Appendix E of ANSI/SCTE 28 2004 Host Pod Interface

http://www.scte.org/documents/pdf/ANSISCTE282004.pdf