160 hrs on 300 GByte?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by jboy, Jul 4, 2006.

1. jboy

jboy New Member

Sep 25, 2003

Advertisements

Hi,

I just used InstantCake to install a new 300 GByte A drive. The unit shows that I have approximately 160 hours of recording time. Does this sound low to anyone? Was there a step I should have done after "baking" the disk?

Jerry

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    It does sound low. My 320GB drive gives 351.xx hours and my 400GB drive shows 444 hours.

Sounds like the TiVo is only seing 137GB of your 300GB?

3. jboy

jboy New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    How do I determine how much space the Tivo box is seeing. And what do I do about it if it is seeing only 137 GB?

4. wscannell

wscannell Member

Dec 6, 2003
    What model TiVo do you have?

What software version does it have?

The 137GB limit is due to the OS not being LBA48 aware (to support large disks). When you booted Instantcake, check the size of the hard drive that was recognized by Linux. Use Shift-Page Up to go back through the messages. Look for where it find the drives (hda, hdb, etc.) It will tell you the size of the hard drive.

5. jboy

jboy New Member

Sep 25, 2003

Advertisements

I have a Tivo TCD24004A. I suspect you are correct and that the OS image distrbuted with the version of instantcake for this system does not have large disk support, even though it says it does. The PTVUpgrade site contridicts itself within 2 paragraphs on this point.

But, I think I got it working. I had to buy MFStools 2.0 CD from PTVUpgrade, boot the system with this CD, and then apply the InstantCake. The unit is currently being cleaned, but was showing 356 hours before the clean process.

herry

6. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    The free download from PTVupgrade would have done the same thing.

7. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    The release notes clarify this issue with no contradictions; there are two versions of InstantCake for this model; one is based upon 4.0.1, which does not provide LBA48 support, and another version uses version 7.1, which does provide LBA48 support.

The official InstantCake support thread (page 9) also discusses and provides links to a simple method of using the free boot CD in combination with the 4.0.1-based version of InstantCake to utilize the full capacity of drives larger than 137GB.

Note that InstantCake for both of these versions doesn't make any modifications to the core operating system; they are simply distributed on two different types of CD's - one that is LBA48-based for later TiVo OS versions and one that is not LBA48-based for earlier TiVo OS versions; that is why using the documented technique of booting with the free LBA48 CD and using the free PTVbake-special script will work with any version of InstantCake.

8. jboy

jboy New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Thanks for the reply.

I reread through the Release notes and here is what I find confusing.

The first reference to the TCD24004A reads :

"To see largest kits available you can go here and select your TiVo make/model to view drive sized used when building kits. [Note: kits with a -X in the model name indicate LBA48 support; LBA48 support is NOT included in the current release of InstantCake for this platform, therefore we do not recommend using drives larger than 160GB which will only yield usable space of 137GB per drive]"

Later another reference to the TCD34004A reads:

"You may use any drive or drives larger than 30GB. This version of InstantCake supports LBA48 (drives larger than 137GB) and has been tested to run on a drive set as large as 2x400GB."

Also, when ordering InstantCake from the website the only item that lists the TCD24004A is this one:

TCD24004A (4.0.1b-02) (+9.99 - large download)

which is the version which does not support large disks. However, after reading the your reply I assume the correct option would have been to select the one that read:

ALL TCD240 Models(7.1b-01)

Perhaps these items should be reworded to explicitly say small disk and large disk support. Or a second entry added for each particular model for the version with large disk support.

jerry