16:9 tv aspect gone on movie channels?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by g0go15, Sep 10, 2006.

1. g0go15

g0go15 New Member

Apr 23, 2005
    OK – is it Directv or my equipment? I own the HD Directv Tivo and Hitachi 42HDS52A tv, and subscribe to the premium package. Usually I have the tv aspect set for 16:9 widescreen, and all the premium channels (501 and down) come in widescreen, but yesterday and today all of the movies are coming in with bars on a side… I know I can change it manually with 16:9 zoom to fill the whole screen, but I’m just wondering what happened? Dunno if someone changed my tv settings (doubt it, I think it’s directv), but it kinda annoys me that the aspect isn’t 16:9. I hope someone can sheds some light on this weird situation! Thank you! go

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I don't believe that DirecTV has any control over the aspect ratio. They just send what it delivered to them. Double check the HR10 and TV settings.

3. Bugkillah

Bugkillah New Member

Nov 18, 2005
    If you were getting 501 in widescreen, it was a function of the Tivo or your TV, because it's not normally widescreen, it's 4:3, and your tv or tivo was set to stretch or crop. Sounds like you need to double check your settings. Maybe it rebooted and lost settings?

4. thebarge

thebarge New Member

May 2, 2005
    Something very similar happened to me on Friday. I came home from work and all the SD channels we're showing bars on the side instead of stretching. My wife said it had been doing that since that morning and she thought I changed something the night before.

I reset the HR10, tried HD content (which worked fine) and was worried it was an issue with my TV. I then went into the Settings of the HR10 and some settings had been changed. I'm sure my wife didn't do it. She wouldn't dare poke around with HD settings she knows nothing about.

It turns out there was a setting for stretching, or displaying bars or something similar. It was set to display the bars for SD 4:3 content. I set it back to showing in 16:9 (stretching) and it went back to working the way it did before.

Not sure why it did that.

5. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    You like watching short fat people on your TV? How sad.

They should remove the option to distort video like that. It's just stupid.

6. thebarge

thebarge New Member

May 2, 2005
    I bought a 56" television for a reason. I find it a waste of money to watch TV where I only get a partial bit of the screen. I'd rather the people be a little shorter and wider and still get my full 56" goodness. I do watch OTA HD channels (showing SD content) which will show the sidebars though. The increase in video quality over the standard SD feed is worth wasting some screen real estate. But I don't find that stupid at all, thanks for your opinion.

BTW, I need some Stargate in HD goodness :)

7. rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon

Agreed Arcady, I hate it at bars, restaurants, airports where they don't have HD programming on and have the screen stretched to "fill real estate". It looks silly.

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    They have it in HD in Canada and the UK. No love for the USA.

Both shows are filmed in HD.