16:9 Tivo mode on a 16:9 tv

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by steak, Dec 31, 2005.

1. steak

steak New Member

Jul 1, 2005
    All,

I have the DTV w/Tivo on a 4:3 screen now. I am shopping for a 16:9 set and saw that there is a screen type selection inside the setup options. How well does this selection work with the Tivo. Does is stretch things out to be fat that are 4:3? Does it take widescreen material and fill up the screen like a anamorphic DVD?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    The 16:9 selection on a Standard DirecTV Receiver doesn't do anything. I think that DirecTV thought they might someday provide anamorphic programs, but they haven't. You'll only get 4:3 video from a regular DirecTV Receiver.

The HDTV DirecTV Receivers and DVR do support both 4:3 and 16:9 display choices, though.

3. holowac

holowac K3SDH

Dec 31, 2005
    South...
    The only difference that I've found so far is that programming sent from the TiVo to your computer will be imported using the 9:16 format. Unless you have a wide screen PC monitor, it seems quite useless.

4. flmgrip

flmgrip New Member

Nov 26, 2003
    los angeles, CA
    the stretch mode from the tivo makes people fatter than the wide zoom i was able to use on my tv. but since i am using HDMI i do not have that choice anymore. it's a tad annoying that the tivo does hae not more options for stretching the 4:3 content, but it's not horrible either.
    the only way to get around that and have your tv do the stretching is by not using HDMI

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    This is true for the HR10-250 HiDef DVR. Standard Definition DVRs, like the R10, have a setting for 16:9 that works as I described above. They don't have HiDef component or HDMI video outputs.

6. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Giddy Up!

May 28, 2003
    Chandler, AZ
    Does the "Window" button on the HR10-250 remote switch between "Panel" and "Full" with HMDI as it does with the Component signal?