15.2 Software update for Virgin TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by The Wishlist, Nov 23, 2011.

1. The Wishlist

The Wishlist VM TiVo Blog

Dec 7, 2010
    Its around twice as fast as 15.1! Hope for Premiere users?

Dunno if the 2nd core has been switched on (or if its just code and network optimizations), but I've yet to see the spinning red doughnut.

My Shows previously took around 6 to 7 seconds to display, now with 15.2, it takes just under 3 seconds (on a 1TB box with 77% recording capacity used).

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    What do you mean by 6 to 7 seconds to display?

3. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Supposedly the 2nd core was turned on in 14.9 (on the non-Virgins). I don't know how that maps to the Virgin model. We all suspect it has more to do with many tweaks to the UI, kernel, flash, etc, since the performance of 14.9 (by my estimates of comments on the board) is nowhere near twice as fast. Maybe 10%, maybe 15%. But none of this is scientific- everything so far is very subjective. My point is, it is not due to turning on the second core, although that probably plays a role, and the pre-15.2 Virgin probably already had the second core enabled.

Plus "speed" means very different things to different people. Boot time, display time, response to remote time, listing time, transfer time, queue time, recovery time, etc, etc. There is no one "speed" measurement that would encompass an overall "experience", and people use the interfaces in many different ways.

All that said, from what I hear/see, the version 15 Virgin speed is *significantly* faster in most ways that matter. Since it is my understanding that the hardware is mostly identical to all the other Premieres, there is no reason to expect that SOME DAY such changes wouldn't be pushed to and realized on the non-Virgin Premieres.

4. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    Why do think I do not use the damn HDUI, it is slow.

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    The last time I used the HDUI, it was typical for it to take 4 seconds just to draw the list of programs when I try to page down (scroll). And that doesn't include the delay when some graphic finally pops up on whatever program my cursor landed on. It takes 5 seconds just to select a program in my now playing before all the drawing is done. It that kind of stuff that makes me not terribly excited when people say things like "it is twice as fast!!!". Big whoop- so it would take 2 seconds to page down instead? I am used to 0.3 seconds to 0.5 seconds on the SDUI. On my home computer, my Xoom, my phone, my car's UI, even my microwave oven, nearly everything is instant. I suppose if I were used to some old, slow cable DVR, and didn't use other devices, and had really low expectations, things might be different for me.

I am not exaggerating. I just NOW put it in HDUI and went into the now playing, selected a program. It took 3 seconds to display anything and allow me ANY control, another 3 seconds before the stupid graphic and channel on the right appeared, and another 3 seconds for the "discovery bar" to suddenly change from grey to having all the useless crap it contains. That is *9 seconds* before it was completely "done" drawing the screen. And all the unsynchronized "drawing", even though I had control after an unreasonably long 3 seconds, just makes it feel slower, in addition to being disjunct and distracting. Sure, if every part of that process were TWICE as fast, it would be more usable, but still unacceptably slow to me.

6. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I don't know anything in the HDUI that takes that long to display.

I just did the same test as crxssi on two of my boxes.

when I select a program everything is displayed in 3 to 5 seconds. This includes the discovery bar and info on the right. Is my 43/35 FiOS internet connection part of this? Maybe. It does take slightly longer when I take a Premiere to my girlfriends house and her 1.25 Mb/s DSL connection. But the difference might only be around a second or so.(although I've never timed it).

None of my boxes take 7 to 9 seconds for everything to appear on screen.

EDIT: I guess I was mistaken when I said none of my boxes. I just timed my Elite and it does take two seconds longer than my two tuner Premieres to show all the info on screen when selecting a show.

7. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Well, I was waiting for you (or someone) to respond, pointing the finger at the network.

1) It should NOT rely on the Internet and TiVo's servers so much as to cause such problems. The HDUI is already slow (CPU speed, Flash speed, etc). But it is designed poorly on top of that. It should only rely on "live" Internet info if the user requests it. Everything else should be static (pre-retrieved at time of recording on in the guide data) or at least cached.

2) Even your 5 seconds is WAY too slow! And on the Elite, you said 2 seconds more, that is 7 seconds. I will point back to the comparison of 0.3 to 0.5 seconds on the SDUI as an example of acceptable speeds.

3) Now let's check out my network just to make sure:

I am on Cox cable, using a very new modem, bonded on FOUR channels. When I test my speed through and off Cox's network, I get 40Mb/s down, 6 Mb/s up, and 11ms response times. I am in the top 6% of the country as far as quality and speed of my connection. The TiVo is 4 feet from my router and plugged in, using a high-quality ethernet cable, to a dedicated port on the switch, connected at 100 Mb/s. During the test, my network was 100% idle from any other device.

I am an I.T. professional for 24 years. It is not *my* network. It is not Cox's network. Perhaps it is TiVo's servers. But think about this: if I am in the top 6% of the country and get 9 second draw times, where does that leave the 94% of the rest of the country when it comes to THEIR Premieres?

8. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    i dont have any of these delays with my premiere still running 14.8 when i click the my Tivo button 2-3 seconds later the entire screen is loaded, i have never had anything take 5 seconds to load or even close to that

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The internet connection speed might only be small part of it(Tested speeds here on FiOS is 43Mb/s down and 35 Mb/s up with 5ms response times). The main part would be the DNS servers you use. That can make a big difference in speed. It certainly does with something as quick as page loading from a web broswer.

I periodically check my DNS servers and change them to ones that give me the quickest speeds. Although I have not tested this with the Premiere load times, but I have with services like VUDU, Netflix(from Premiere and other devices) and of course web browsing. Changing the DNS server IP address made a huge difference in how quick those VOD services launched their videos as well as how quick a web page loaded.

I also changed the DNS servers at my girlfriends with her DSL , but there I just use the Google DNS servers. That could also be why the Premiere is still quicker than you with her slow 1.25Mb/s DSL connection. It certainly made a big difference there too with web browsing and Netflix and Hulu+ streaming start times.

10. The Wishlist

The Wishlist VM TiVo Blog

Dec 7, 2010
    From pressing the My Shows button, to TiVo completing rendering of all screen elements (including Discovery Bar images).

11. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I just checked my 14.8c Premiere, and I got 4 seconds to fully render the "My Shows" screen and 2 seconds to render each page-down.

I'm only about 42% full on my non-XL Premiere, in case it has anything to do with quantity of programs. I also have excellent network connectivity, and I'm an I.T. professional of 25 years! (yes that's right, exactly one more year!!!)

On the other hand, last night the living room Premiere did end up with spinning green circles of doom while trying to navigate the program list, requiring a reboot (well 3 reboots because I was too stubborn to remove the BT dongle, yet again). Makes me wonder if there isn't still a resource or memory leak.

12. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Cox's nameservers are not known for being very peppy (in my area, anyway). However, I don't think this would make that much difference. This isn't general web browsing, the HDUI most likely only contacts one or very few sites. After the first lookup, it should certainly be cached for a significant amount of time (it is Linux, and that is what Linux does). On my above example, I repeated the test several times before posting, so it was not an isolated or one-time result. It if were DNS related, one would see the first test be significantly slower than the ones right after. That was not the case.

13. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    What is a Virgin tiv o

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
  15. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005

a tivo that has not had its top off :)

or what the previous guy said

16. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    I get no problems with speed. I hit tivo and boom i get every thing no wait:cool::up:. Its HDUI

17. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    :rolleyes: We aren't talking randomly surfing the web here - we are talking hitting Tivo servers for Tivo served content!

Even if they want to use DNS they should hard code the Tivo's to their own DNS servers!

DNS should be irrelevant. It's poor design otherwise. And why they wouldn't just use anycast instead of fooling around with another layer like DNS makes no sense either.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    No idea. I just know the DNS change made dozens of devices I use that accesses the internet quicker at accessing the content it needs. I was very surprised at the difference. Now I periodically change my DNS IP addresses to get ones that are quickest for my location.

I use Google NameBench to find the best ones to use. http://code.google.com/p/namebench/