Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by JTalbert, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1 of 25
    JTalbert

JTalbert New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    McLean, VA
    I spoke to someone today on the Executive customer service at Tivo, was complaining about many things, including the Premiere being out for a year and a half, and the lack of development for it, and how its still buggy and unreliable for me. I get the black screens and even though I told them I a having the problem, they won't see that I get the update now so my Tivo is actually usable. I usually reboot it 2-3 times a week.

I was told this. I am not a beta tester and not under any NDA. I was told that within a month (which means 2-3 months probably) a major upgrade to Tivo will be released, its in beta now and scheduled to be released soon. This new update will bring all the screens and menu's to HD as well as other enhancements.

Since Tivo is on 14.9 and this is a major upgrade, I would assume it will be 15.0.

I hope they also finally figure out how to use the second core on the processor. He did say that it fixes a lot of the lag that many people have been experiencing.

2. Dec 2, 2011 #2 of 25
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Highly doubtful. It will be almost two weeks before 14.9 is rolled out to everyone. TiVo has already stated an update will come out next year (most presume it will be considered 16.x). No way they would bother with 14.9 if the major release were that close to ready.

3. Dec 2, 2011 #3 of 25
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Think he's confusing the current software rollout with the all-HD one next year.

It looks like it will happen (as either version 16 or 20 because 15 is for Virgin Media). Though I doubt it'll be so quickly on the heels of 14.9, which is still in the middle of being deployed. More likely in the first half of next year sometime.

14.9 enables the second core and helps with the black screen issues though, so those of us that dealt with that finally have some relief.

4. Dec 2, 2011 #4 of 25
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Maybe they will release it on the two year anniversary of the launch of the Premiere? It would just be nice to have all the menus in HD. Even if it will be two years after launch.

5. Dec 2, 2011 #5 of 25
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Keep in mind that the OS release and UI release are different now. It's not impossible that 14.9 paves the way for a new UI version release. For example, 14.9 could have everything to support streaming and the new UI could simply surface the feature.

6. Dec 2, 2011 #6 of 25
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Yeah according to TiVodesign we are due for a significant update in early 2012.

As previously said this could be 15.0 but more likely 16.0. I also see this to be a merging of the branches. Currently TiVo appears to have three branches. Virgin, RCN, and retail. I would guess most of the overseas MSOs are running customized versions of the Virgin branch. RCN seems to running a slight to moderate modified retail branch.

Once all three are merged things should be smoother and I would imagine quicker since they will now be able to just disable apps and features as needed.

I could possibly see TiVo unveiling this at CES also since up until now no one that can say has seen the full HDUI. They tend to not announce new products there, but I could see that and possibly Previews on hand.

7. Dec 3, 2011 #7 of 25
    JTalbert

JTalbert New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    McLean, VA
    The person did not say version number. That was just my guess thinking 15 will come after 14.

He told me about a month but as sw goes don't hold him to it. But a major update is in the works and will be soon.

Just wanted to share what I was told. I will believe it when I see it.

8. Dec 3, 2011 #8 of 25
    sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Looks like TiVo has four meeting rooms reserved at CES2012. It looks like they will offer closed door previews to invited guests similar to they way they've handled previous CEC events. I could see them demo the new 16.x software along with the TiVo extender to a select few who sign their NDA.

When I think Early 2012 I think we'll see a release sometime before March 31, 2012.

9. Dec 4, 2011 #9 of 25
    plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I want them to unveil "transparent TiVo." I have two TiVos. I want the TiVo software to just automagically uses whatever Tuner is available on whatever TiVo is in the house. And I want the Now Playing list to simply show me ALL recorded shows on ALL TiVos and just stream on demand if its on another TiVo. If I want the ability to record 6 shows at once, I simply buy another TiVo and add it to the network.

That may sell some TiVos and leapfrog it above the competition.

10. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I agree one hundred thousand percent. :) This is the one and only feature that I want Tivo to implement but assume that they never will.

11. timstack8969

timstack8969 Member

May 14, 2004
    I would like to see a better guide where I can still see "Live TV" in a Small window in the right hand corner of the screen.

12. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    If we get the same one that VirginTV uses, it will be just like you describe along with indications about what is recording. If you google Virgin TiVo guide, there should be some videos or images out there that show it.

YT embed doesn't seem to like the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fKVajRIzw3c#t=24s

13. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I want TiVo software where I, the user, am in control. Don't force me to have a small window of live TV. And don't prevent me from having it, either. Allow me the freedom to turn off the discovery bar, or turn it on. Allow me to decide if I want sound effects in menus or not. Let me choose font sizes. Let me set the size of information boxes. The more control the better.

And when it is all done, PLEASE allow us to back up all our settings, preferences, channel lists, season passes, etc, to something OTHER than the venerable hard drive that will one day fail and take everything with it. (SD card, USB memory stick, local network, cloud/Internet, SOMETHING).

14. tomm1079

tomm1079 Member

May 10, 2005
    agree! i been hoping for that for a long time. I think Direct TV now has this (or dish dont remember which one)

15. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I have all my Season Passes backed up on my server by using KMTTG with my Premieres.

I don't remember if you can back up channels or not, but he might be able to add it if people asked. The issue would be reloading it since TiVo doesn't offer remote channel management. Worst case you might be able to keep the list just as a guide to remove and add channels on a replacement.

16. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    That would be the TiVo Collective (for you Borg fans).

17. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    YES! I want my Tivos to act like the Borg.

Uh, wait...maybe not.:eek::D

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's bad enough looking at the list of shows just on my Elite. Double the amount a normal two tuner unit has. I would not want to have the shows from my other three boxes to show up in the same list. That is to many shows.

And personally the collective recording might be ok in some situations but in others it would not work well. I have a friend with a family of five. Every person in the household records different things on the DVRs throughout the household. With collective scheduling in their household, they would run into a situation where someone sits down in their room to watch something that was not scheduled to record, yet both tuners could be in use. And that would cause issues. I guess if collective scheduling would always leave one tuner free on each box then that would avoid issues. But without leaving a tuner free, it could cause problems.

19. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Hopefully if they do this they will add the profiles as they had in a slide at the launch of the premiere. With profiles this would open a lot of customization options to a universal My Shows list.

20. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Direct TV did it good and it will group the shows across the DVR's which shrinks the list.