140-hour TIVO Series 2 issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Yogafrau, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Yogafrau

Yogafrau New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Hello...

I have been searching for an answer for the last 2 hours and I can't find anything...

I got my first 140-hr series 2 TIVO 3.5 years ago...just a little over a year later, I got the green screen of death...after talking to support for a few days...they exchanged it for a small fee and they sent me a refurbished unit...well, it has been hanging on the 'welcome, powering up' screen...for days...It does at times switch to 'just a few more minutes', yet ends up at 'welcome', etc...I unplugged, no change...rebooted, no change...I just let it be for a few days (hoping it would come back)...nothing...
    Does my TIVO even have a chance? Is it broken? Can I exchange it?? Any pointers are greatly appreciated...

Thank you....

2. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    Do you still have your TCD140 unit? The green screen is almost certainly an indication of a defective hard drive, and that is easily repaired.

The replacement unit you have could also have a defective hard drive, but it could also be something else; the only way to know for sure is to run diags on the drive, and/or put a known good drive in the unit, swap the drive cable and if it still doesn't work then its either the power supply or the motherboard.

Since you got the exchanged unit from TiVo, you should contact them and tell them that what they sent you doesn't work; they should send you another one...

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    It does sound like a hard drive - but you never know. You could purchase a replacement drive from someplace like Weaknees or DVRupgrade, or you could call TiVo and see how much they would charge to replace your unit. Unless the unit has a lifetime subscription on it I would most likely just buy a new TiVo - as long as your video source isn't satellite I would get a TiVo HD even if you don't have an HD TV. If you video source is satellite then you will need to get a Series 2.

Good Luck,

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    you need to re-read the OP.

It was 140hr Tivo acquired 3.5 years ago (2004), not a 140 model Tivo which only came in a 60hr model.
    That unit was replaced about 2.5 years ago (2005) by tivo.com with a refurb.
    Now (2007) the refurb has problems.

5. tivoupgrade

tivoupgrade Sponsor

Sep 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL...
    Got it. I was never very good with word problems. :)

So scratch that recommendation about calling TiVo... what I would recommend is considering pulling the hard drive, connecting to a PC and running the manufacturer's diagnostics on it if you are up for it. You can download "seatools" for free at the seagate web site and you should know within a few hours whether or not its the drive that is the problem...

6. Yogafrau

Yogafrau New Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Thanks for your replies.

Though, I have done computer stuff, built one, etc...I never ever dreamed of taking anything out of the Tivo...

I am very disappointed in the 140 hr model...The first one breaks after a year and the second one after two years...I mean, what is up with that...I paid $400 for the first one, and $50 for the replacement...(refurb.).

I am leaning towards buying a new one...since I have no time to take it apart...I will see. There is no green screen, I had that on the other Tivo and when I called, they told me, it's dead.

Thanks for the HD tip...I wondered about that...