14.9.2.2 Causes reboots.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DBLClick, Dec 17, 2011.

1. DBLClick

DBLClick Member

Aug 20, 2007
    My TPXL updated to 14.9.2.2 and for the past 24 hours reboots. The longest it has been up is one hour. Has anyone experienced this after the upgrades.

2. davmoo

davmoo New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    You are not alone. Until the update my Premiere was rock solid. Now it reboots at random times, and about half the time it keeps rebooting in a loop until I unplug it and then plug it back in. I am extremely annoyed.

3. DBLClick

DBLClick Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I would agree it was rock solid until the update. Now at least a boot every hour even when you are not watching. :mad:

4. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004
    I had similar weird issues last night. The "video engine" crashed as well, leaving me with a grey-screen behind every menu. I rebooted, then tried to see if I could get a kickstart... missed it, and ended up in the system, and it crashed out on its own. I was busy trying to get the kickstart again, missed it again, but it's been fine since that reboot... so far. I'll know more through the rest of the day today...

5. MrMac1958

MrMac1958 TiVo-ed since Dec'01

Dec 27, 2001
    Collegeville...
    Me too, before yesterday's upgrade my Premiere was solid. Called TiVo support and was told they have not heard of this problem before. It seems to reboot every 20 minutes or so. They told me to ship it back since it was under warranty. ugh...

6. DBLClick

DBLClick Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Well after two days rebooting, it appears to now be stable again. I had a simular issue with my TP Elite. When It updated to 14.9.2 it went into a reboot cycle for a day or two and then stop.

I can't believe that TIVO has not heard of this problem before.

7. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    There is not a 'reboot problem' with the new software. There is a reboot problem with your tivo. Likely a hard drive problem. Tivo reboots when it gets bad or corrupt data from the disk that it cannot deal with.

If its under warranty, have tivo deal with it. If not, get a new drive.

14.9.2.2 may be a bit quicker to resort to reboot than previous versions but the problem is not going away until you fix the root cause.

8. trembd

trembd New Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Yesterday everything was fine. This morning, iy rebooted 5 times in under an hour. And all I was doing was watching normal TV. The unit is less than a year old. I do believe it isn't the upgrade and probably the hard drive. I've had other glitches throughout the year that make me think this. I sent an e-mail to TIVO so we'll see what happens.

9. MrMac1958

Dec 27, 2001
    Collegeville...
    The drive that failed was my 2TB upgraded drive. I put the original 1 TB drive in last night (software 14.7) and overnight it upgraded to 14.9.2.2, all seems well so far. DVR Dude is returning my 2TB drive as it was still under warranty. Great service by him...

10. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    To add another data point, within 24 hours of my Premiere upgrading to 14.9.2.2, the 2TB upgraded drive failed.

The box was frozen up and displaying a message "HDMI connection not permitted. Press SELECT for more information." There was no response to pressing SELECT, so I unplugged the power, waited a few moments and then plugged the power back in. It then repeatedly rebooted during the "Almost there" screen. No USB plugged in, but I disconnected the Ethernet cable and pulled the cable card. Then I plugged in a different HDMI cable and power cycled again. No change.

I reinstalled the original drive and it booted up fine (with the cable card, original HDMI cable, and network connected as well). Connected to the TiVo service and went through a lengthy update since the last update on that disk was months ago. It upgraded to 14.9.2.2 again and is continuing to perform normally.

I think it's noteworthy that hard drives are failing after the upgrade. I hope that's just a coincidence, but it feels like it might be something.

When I find some time, I'll see if the Kickstarts on the 2TB drive do any good.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Two of us reported fans starting to fail after the upgrade. The two most common devices to fail on a computer are first the hard drives and fans, a distant second are power supplies. On computer devices that are up/on all the time, the time that failures show up most of the time are when they are power cycled or reset. It might be that.

12. MrMac1958

Dec 27, 2001
    Collegeville...
    Just an FYI that the Kickstarts were of no help in the case of my failed 2tb drive.

13. schwinn

schwinn Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Had another "video engine crash" when I got home today. Tuners were both trying to tune channel 0, and the menu screens had no backgrounds. Ran a kickstart 54 test, didn't see any problems. Ran a kickstart 57 just in case, and saw nothing weird there either...

Up until this update, the Tivo has been fine, with zero issues... since getting the update, I see problems. If I see another, I will call in to Tivo... but for now, I'm just going to see what more happens.

14. pbadss

pbadss New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Los Angeles
    to add another data point. My 2 premiere's were rock-solid before the update. Now both are rebooting every 30min / hour or so whether or not I'm watching TV. They're both about 6 months old, stock hard drives and using VZ cable cards

15. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    Turns out, I couldn't even run a kickstart. Went through the process outlined by richsadams here (taking note of the Premiere specific steps), and only continued the rebooting cycle without initiating any kickstart.

When I ran WD Diagnostics on the disk drive, it tested good for both a quick test and the extended test. I'm going to try to rebuild the drive from the original again (bye-bye Wishlists and recorded programs :) ) and see what happens from there.

16. davmoo

davmoo New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    For what its worth, I replaced my 2TB upgrade drive with the original 320GB drive that came in my Premiere, let it upgrade to 14.9.2.2, and my problem (first reply to OP in this thread) vanished. Extensive testing has shown the 2TB drive has no (observable) hardware problem, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have corrupt data somewhere.

17. DavidTigerFan

DavidTigerFan No, not Detroit. TCF Club

Aug 18, 2001
    Charleston, SC
    I have had similar problems, lets start collecting info on the ones that reboot.

Mine was an original premiere that I upgraded to 2GB with JMFS's CD, expanded and supersized. I used a WDEARS drive as well. What did all of you use?

18. MrMac1958

Dec 27, 2001
    Collegeville...
    Mine was a Premiere XL upgraded to a 2TB via DVR Dude, right after 14.9.2.2 upgrade the reboots started. Original 1TB drive was put back and upgraded overnight to 14.9.2.2 and has remained rock solid for the past week. DVR Dude is handling the warranty on the upgraded 2TB drive.

19. PRentz15

PRentz15 New Member

Dec 5, 2010
    My Premiere with a 2TB upgrade had similar problems after the update. It would get stuck on the start-up screen, and/or reboot constantly for about the first 24 hours after the update. Not sure what I did, but it's rock solid now. I tried several of the kickstart commands, was able to get it running after disconnecting the network cable and bluetooth, switched to SD mode, and deleted several programs to get the HD from 80% full down to 70%. Ran the SMART test, and everything checked out OK.

I think the key was disconnecting the network cable, that's when things started to work again. Once things seemed stable, I reconnected the network and went back to HD menus. Five days later and so far no reboots! (Knock on wood)

20. minimeh

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    I have a Premiere that I upgraded to 2TB with a WD20EARS drive using comer's outstanding JMFS boot disk (see here).

As stated above, I pulled the drive and ran both quick and extended WD Diagnostics on it. The disk passed without any errors. So I rebuilt the disk again from the original, extended and supersized as before. No errors were generated during that process either.

Pleased to say, the 2TB drive is back in the Premier and working fine. That seems to add some credence to the thought that while the drive "failed", it was not a hardware failure but rather a software failure that scrambled some data on the disk, at least in my case.

Fingers crossed, but I won't be surprised if it happens again.