14.8.U2.01, Premiere is freezing up

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Joe01880, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1 of 11
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    My Premeiere has been working great, until today. Its freezing during recorded shows or video is studdering. It has locked up once altogether and i had to unplug it to reboot it.
    I looked in system settings and see 14.8.U2.01 is the software version. Is this new? Anyone else having these problems, any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Aug 4, 2011 #2 of 11
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Me thinks you may have a Hard Drive problem.

3. Aug 4, 2011 #3 of 11
    Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    I rebooted the Premiere and it frozed again. I managed to get it to the settings screen this time and switched to the SD menu's. Its blazing fast in the SD menu's and after watching 2 hours of programing no freezes or stuttering video at all.
    For giggles i went to the deleted items folder while everything is running so fast and cleared out all 88 or so programs in it. I have switched back to the HD menu's and although running much slower than the SD menu's no freeze ups, yet.
    These are my first real problems with my Premiere, if it is indeed a HDD i'll replace it but i would think if it is the HDD it would have problems using either HDUI or the SDUI.
    In looking at the forum and seeing talk of an even newer TiVo the Premiere having problems and running so much slower in the HD menu's is not much of a selling point to put faith in a new TiVo.

4. Aug 4, 2011 #4 of 11
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you can, I would make a copy of your hard drive (using the JFMS software) as it is now working and a 2Tb hard drive is about $70, it will be good insurance and if needed you will not even have to get the cable cards re-set. What you had could be a sign of coming Hard Drives problems, or not. I have 4 TPs and none every did what yours were doing.

5. Aug 6, 2011 #5 of 11
    theidiot

theidiot New Member

Sep 4, 2009
    I have the exact same issues, I just switched to SD menus and it works fine. I've only had my Tivo Premiere for about 3 months, if it is a potential HD issue, I'd be pissed.

I read on the forums that the HD menus run based on your internet speed, and thought that was my issue. I have 256k DSL, low-end of the spectrum.

I enjoyed using the HD menu in the beginning, but it's not worth seeing that green 'wait' sign.

6. Aug 6, 2011 #6 of 11
    torshire

torshire New Member

May 3, 2006
    USA
    I have the same problem and my best friend's Premiere is also freezing up. Neither one of us ever had the HD menus, so it's not that.

I'm pretty sure it's a software problem -- I've read as much in other threads -- but TiVo hasn't been forthcoming about what the solution is or when it's coming. Sadly, this will be my last TiVo.

7. Aug 9, 2011 #7 of 11
    Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    Mine does this if I try an use the HD menu option, once back in the SD setting it still locks up until after doing several reboots

8. Aug 9, 2011 #8 of 11
    torshire

torshire New Member

May 3, 2006
    USA
    I went to TiVo's online Chat Support this morning, and the CSR told me that the problem is Signal Strength. I asked why this signal strength problem had not been as issue on any of the half dozen TiVo boxes I've owned over 11 years, and his answer was "Signal can fluctuate and change over time, also cables degrade over time and use."

There was no explanation why poor signal strength would cause the Tivo unit to spontaneously freeze up and restart during playback -- not live TV.

The recommendation was to get a signal booster, though the CSR refused say what kind or brand or model. In fact, he didn't even specify whether he meant a signal booster for my wireless router or a signal boost for my cable.

Does any of this sound believable to you guys?

9. Aug 9, 2011 #9 of 11
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I actually haven't checked signal strength on my Tivo which is behaving strangely (lots of reboots -- replaced drive, that wasn't it).

But your old Tivos likely had the cable plugged directly into the Tivo, thus getting the ANALOG channels. analog channels do not really have signal strength issues, since you just get snow when the signal gets bad. Or even if you had digital cable boxes, they could deal with the digital signal differently (e.g. people say there are differences between the OTA tuner quality in S3, HD, Premiere).

So it sounds like it *could* be believable.

I have a splitter/amplifier simply so I can actually GET most of the stations upstairs in my bedroom.

10. yoheidiho

yoheidiho Member

Mar 31, 2011
    It is a software issue. It effects some Premieres and not others. Rebooting becomes less frequent as time goes by but when you least expect it or when you think the issue is gone it reappears.

11. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    I had issues with my HD where the dirty digital signal on a few channels would cause it to reboot. So it is clear to me that signal issues can cause problems. Having said that my Premiere's have never had an issue with the same channels (I ran side by side for a while to see)

I can't explain why peoples experience varies so widely. It seems more like hardware QC issues as I would expect the software to be somewhat consistent. I am just glad I am not having any issues with my Premieres.

I went through the other side of this with the HD with tons of people telling me how stable the HD was while mine rebooted regularly.

Now I am on the other side. So... I tend to think hardware quality must be involved, but I have no idea how.