14.4 Sluggish, nothing new noticed.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jaywtivo, May 31, 2010.

1. May 31, 2010 #1 of 131
    jaywtivo

jaywtivo New Member

Aug 29, 2004

Advertisements

It could be that I am not digging deep enough to notice anything new, but the 14.4 release didn't seem to do anything noticeable to my system other than to slow it down.

Accessing my shows has become painfully slow. I didn't have this problem with the 14.1 release. In one instance, the "circle search clock" (for lack of a better name) just hung there while I tried to access "TiVo Suggestions". After 2 minutes, I hit back, then tried again. It popped up, but slowly.

I was only test driving the HD stuff. To me, after using the SD menus for a few weeks, the HD stuff is way too slow. Too bad.

(I would probably give the HD menus more of a chance if Parental Controls were enabled in them.)

2. May 31, 2010 #2 of 131
    johnner1999

johnner1999 Guest

Oct 26, 2002
    maybe its just my two units -- but after X.4 they are both MUCH faster even with HD menus (note still using the SD menus as I still like them better...)

heck even transferring shows seems faster...

So I still feel tivo released the S4 a tad early - but if they keep up this pace they have won me back.

3. May 31, 2010 #3 of 131
    yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Since I got 14.4, I've switched to HDUI. SDUI is clearly still faster, but HDUI is now fast enough (not painfully slow) to use. I do like the eye candy you get with it, and hope Tivo converts all the menus to HD soon.

4. May 31, 2010 #4 of 131
    Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I have yet to have any real problems with my TPXL, so I didn't really notice any difference in the 14.4 update either, but I actually did notice a new ad. When a recorded show ends and it pops up Keep this recording or Delete Now, right below it was an ad for Best Buy. But I only saw that one time, and I almost always let my shows run all the way out and see that menu. odd.

5. Jun 1, 2010 #5 of 131
    lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010

Advertisements

What do you mean by "eye candy"? I don't understand why we pay for the box, then we pay for the service and after all that, we still need to see advertisements? I keep seeing an advertisement for Best Buy we I get back from viewing a recorded show. Why are we putting up with these advertisements? If we got the box or service for free, then I could understand having to see these commercials. That's another good reason for using the SD menus rather than the HD menus.

6. Jun 1, 2010 #6 of 131
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL

Seeing ONE ad bothers you?! Better not open a magazine, newspaper, watch TV, drive down the road, web surf... The only ad I ever see is the one in the Discovery Bar if I happen to look at the DB.

7. Jun 1, 2010 #7 of 131
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The Sd menus supposedly have ads too. I rarely notice them in the HD menus, just like I rarely noticed them with SD menus when I was using nine S3 units.

8. Jun 1, 2010 #8 of 131
    lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I'm comparing the TiVo to the Dish box I used to have. There was never a single ad on it. TiVo is new to me and if we don't complain about the ads, they are just going to add more and more. I suppose you like the ads?

9. Jun 1, 2010 #9 of 131
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Time is what is important with any ad, have you every gone to a web sight and had an ad covered what you wanted to read ? That is annoying, if the TiVo ads cost me time to get to what i wanted to watch then i would have a problem, but if the ads take non of my time up (unless i want to explore the ad itself) and it helps TiVo stay financially healthy I have no problem. I pay for the print WSJ and that sure has ads but I never though it to be a problem.

10. Jun 1, 2010 #10 of 131
    Rebate_King

Rebate_King New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    My PXL is running great with 14.4. The HDUI is awesome. Looking forward to the 2nd core being enabled and also the rest of the menu's going HD.

11. Jun 1, 2010 #11 of 131
    Videodrome

Videodrome tivo - please wait..

Jun 20, 2008
    I am surprised at how variable peoples experiences are with the premiere. Its like so mepeople are slow, some are fast. But isnt it the same software ?

12. Jun 1, 2010 #12 of 131
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    My guess is that a lot of it is network dependent. Yes, we all have the same machines running the same software, but everybody has a unique combination of switches, routers, available bandwidth, latency, etc ...

13. Jun 1, 2010 #13 of 131
    TrueTurbo

TrueTurbo New Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    The software may be the same but the environments are different. Some have slow networks, some have fast. Some use WiFi, some Ethernet. Some have lots of appliances on their network, some have very few. Some have reliable broadband connections, some don't. Some use cable, some use DSL. Some may use dial-up. Some use HDMI for video, some use component cables. etc.

From all the threads on this site, it would appear that the new TiVo Premiere is sensitive to the environment it's in.

14. Jun 1, 2010 #14 of 131
    andydumi

andydumi Fish. Butt.

Jun 26, 2006
    Nashville, TN

Right.

But I also think Tivo has some of the priorities wrong. For example, when I hit the Tivo button and the menu comes up the panels get loaded in the incorrect order for me. First the main panel, then it waits for the ads/images above (which come from the network), then it loads the right panel last. So instead of loading the bottom panels first which are local, it waits unneccesarily I think for the top bar to load from the internet.

Another issue is of course the lack of local caching. Why can't they take 5-10MB and cache all those little cover shots from the top for a few days or so. The Tivo pops up essentially the same recommendations all the time, and it cycles through a few dozen of them it seems so caching frequent ones locally should be a no brainer.

I also use the HD menus on 14.1 and they work well enough. But I think they need to HD at least the guide and the channel bars ASAP. I cant believe they have not gone to HD on the main guide, which is probably the most used screen of all for the majority of people. And when they go to HD for the top channel banners, I hope they take overscan into account as presently the stretched SD bar leaves a gap on the left.

Come on Tivo, get it together, and faster.

15. Jun 1, 2010 #15 of 131
    caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    I mention this before tivo should have 2 pricing levels. A $12.95 a month with ad's or $25.00 a month ad free. If people don't like the ads then they should be the one to replace the money lost for the ad free tivo.
    The ad's is what help's to keep the subscription costs lower.

16. Jun 1, 2010 #16 of 131
    lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    You mean it would be even higher?:(

17. Jun 1, 2010 #17 of 131
    orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Sure. What do you think the ads are there for? The companies advertising PAY TiVo to place their advertising there. No ads, no vendor money. No vendor money, higher subscription rates to make up for the loss. Are you sure that ONE Best Buy ad is so bad?! ;)

18. Jun 1, 2010 #18 of 131
    rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    ITYM the one ad that no one puts a gun to your head and forces you to watch

19. Jun 1, 2010 #19 of 131
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It is not time or coverage, it is DISTRACTION that matters. And I visit web sites all the time with animated crap that prevent me from being able to concentrate on reading the content. Even with Adblock, and Flashblock active, they are getting worse because now they use Javascript. And I don't care if it is an ad or just something "cute", if it moves or changes or makes noise, it annoys the crap out of me.

I, for one, cannot stand that type of stuff, and don't want it on my TiVo, ESPECIALLY since I had to PAY for the cable service, PAY for the cable card, PAY for the TiVo unit, and PAY for the TiVo service!

Now, the "on pause" ads on TiVo that I have seen are tolerable, since they don't animate or prevent functionality. And the "menu option" text ad on TiVo central and such doesn't bother me either. But that is where I draw the line. The moment they start putting animation or video ads on a menu when I am trying to read or navigate, that is where I will start complaining LOUDLY (I don't have a Premiere yet, so I don't know if that is happening, but it isn't on the HD).

20. Jun 1, 2010 #20 of 131
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Are you crazy? Do you really think the service TiVo offers is worth $25 a month??? They are just some listings and occasional updates. That is more than a third of my total cable bill! It is twice what I pay now for TiVo service without annoying ads. It is FOUR TIMES what I used to pay for TiVo service years ago. It is more than half of my total Internet bill. It is as much as my land line phone service.

Sorry, I don't see $25 as reasonable, at all, under any circumstance.