13 Reasons Why- Netflix original

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tivoknucklehead, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Apr 1, 2017 #1 of 133
    tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    just watched episode 1. intriguing show. about high school girl that kills herself that sent out tapes before she did it to anyone that may have caused her to do it. lead actress Hannah is a gorgeous 20 y/o newcomer Katherine Langford from Australia, you would never guess she is not American

I'll certainly continue to watch this, all 13 episodes are out

2. Apr 1, 2017 #2 of 133
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    Near the end of ep 1 and enjoying it.
    I like Dylan Minnette as Clay-I know him best from "Scandal" as the Grant's doomed son...

3. Apr 2, 2017 #3 of 133
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Watching this as much as I can. I have completed episode 5. Lot I could talk about, but I don't want to spoil anyone yet.

4. Apr 3, 2017 #4 of 133
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I am enjoying it but slightly annoyed at the slow pace that he is going through the tapes - seems like everyone else knows what is going on but him. Dude - sit down and binge listen will you? LOL

uncdrew likes this.
  5. Apr 3, 2017 #5 of 133
    tivoknucklehead

tivoknucklehead Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2002
    Orlando Florida
    I'm 5 episodes in. It is a quality show. agree that it is nuts that Clay would not have listened to the whole collection by now, but the "current day" stuff is only a couple of days in real time so we have to remember that

6. Apr 3, 2017 #6 of 133
    Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I'm only on Episode 3 - she's been dead a week? - at least 7 other people have listened to the tapes and it seems like he's taking longer than a day a tape.

7. Apr 4, 2017 #7 of 133
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm 9 episodes deep and this show is both compelling and really, really, sad. The way they've portrayed Hannah so far it seems like there is no one reason for her to have taken her own life, just a bunch of little things that built up and that preventing any one of them may have resulted in a different outcome. It's profoundly disturbing to me that a young woman like that would choose such a drastic course based on what I've seen so far. Maybe in the next 4 episodes there will be a big reveal that makes it more clear, but so far it just seems so unnecessary and makes me worry about my nieces and nephew who are at a similar age and having similar problems. The thought of one of them doing something like this and us not being able to see the signs and do something to prevent it makes my heart physically ache. :(

8. Apr 7, 2017 #8 of 133
    TriBruin

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I will say that I think the last 4 episodes definitely make the viewer (and Clay) understand why Hannah took her life. (I really don't want to spoiler anything ). So sad about what happened.

I think it was also pretty clear that Hannah had some "fault" as well. There were plenty of times that all she had to say was "I need help" or just say what really happened (Bryce's rapes, Cheri's accident) and someone could intervene. She was passively looking for help (the poem), but never said "I need help."

I look back and realize that what happened to Hannah is happening to kids all over our country. We need to be more vigilant in watching our youth. It certainly made me think about my kids, both who are teenagers.

9. Apr 7, 2017 #9 of 133
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The last episode is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. It was really, really, hard to watch that bathtub scene.

10. Apr 10, 2017 #10 of 133
    Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I watched and came away thinking they could have done this story in 10 episodes. It dragged for me around the 2/3 mark and both Hannah and Clay start to be annoying - mostly because they take too long on some of the reveals.

The first few episodes are wonderful as are the last few.

Speaking of the bathtub scene. Kate Walsh - her reaction was pretty incredible.

Sucks to be Jeff - everyone is so consumed by Hannah - what happened to him kindof gets lost in the dust.

teknikel and uncdrew like this.
  11. Apr 10, 2017 #11 of 133
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I finished this weekend as well.

I too felt it coulda been done in less episodes. But in Netflix's defense, it is called 13 Reasons Why. Iron Fist on the other hand did not need to be 13 episodes.

There were clues about Jeff's fate. He was never seen with in the present time.

As far as Kate Walsh goes, she deserves an Emmy as does the girl who played Hannah. That rape scene was pretty difficult to watch, not to mention the suicide scene. Was pretty surprised it was so graphic.

12. Apr 10, 2017 #12 of 133
    mtnagel

mtnagel Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm enjoying the series but now I'm a bit scared to continue on based on what was said :(. I think we're up to episode 5 or 6.

Also think it's funny that Clay isn't listening faster. But I guess I can understand.

I do think Tony looks about 30 and all his tatoos don't help. Can't say anyone in my high school had tatoos that I knew of any way. It's odd I can't find how old he is online. Wikipedia says he was married in 2003, so even if he was only 18 then, that makes his 32. They couldn't find anyone younger?

13. Apr 10, 2017 #13 of 133
    TriBruin

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I would continue. Understand it does get bogged down in little in the middle, but I thought it was definitely worth it to finish.

It does seem like he is moving slower, but the show is only set over a few days (maybe a week?) We are so used to episodic television covering longer time frames, it is hard to reconcile the time frame. FYI the book..
    only cover 2 days

This was the biggest thing about the show that bugged me. Some of the actors were just too much older than they should have been. Justin (with all his tattoos) and Bryce were too of the most obvious examples. I was OK with Clay and Hannah. They maybe didn't look like Sophomores, but they weren't that far off. (Plus I think the actress who played Hannah was great, so I can overlook any age issues.)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  14. Apr 10, 2017 #14 of 133
    mtnagel

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Didn't know about the time frame from the book (never even heard of the book). Seems like we've had more day and nights than that, but I guess I'm not positive on that.

15. Apr 10, 2017 #15 of 133
    BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    The tattoos really bug me. A lot. High school kids do not have tattoos.
    Also the honor code students just seems out of place.

But overall, really enjoying this one. I'm on episode 9.
    Very well done so far.

16. Apr 11, 2017 #16 of 133
    Cainebj

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    I deliberately didn't come back to this thread until I was finished. I also think it is worth finishing.

Everyone keeps saying it's only a couple of days but watching it felt like months. Maybe because of all the flashbacks - but it feels like he's listening to the tapes for an eternity.

17. Apr 11, 2017 #17 of 133
    NCDolphinFan

NCDolphinFan New Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Wesley...

uncdrew likes this.
  18. Apr 11, 2017 #18 of 133
    mtnagel

Nov 15, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Your message got mixed in with Brad's quote.

How do high school juniors get tattoos? Don't you have to be 18?

19. Apr 11, 2017 #19 of 133
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Just finished this myself. Glad I didn't read this thread after I started, I just binged them all in 2 days. The only thing I read was the comment about the bathtub scene being hard to watch, which really didn't spoil me since we know going into the show that she killed herself. This way I was prepared for it which I think helped it not be as bad.

It seemed like he was taking forever because he was taking forever. The other characters kept telling him he was taking forever so I think that feeling was deliberate.

I feel bad for a few of them like Alex. What he did to Hannah was really so minor IMO compared to everyone else. It was more what he did to Jessica than Hannah with that because slut reputation or not, putting someone on a list for best ass really doesn't equate to the things the others did although I do get how his action caused a snowball effect. I wish we saw how his story ended.

I think Justin was a punk but he's the type of punk that a lot of boys that age are. Not a great kid but not a bad one at his core either and can grow out of it. Too bad he made all the wrong decisions because his home life was terrible and now he's truly fooked in life after all that.

Also Tony totally looked 30 but I didn't mind because he's pretty.

I take it this was a 1 season series or will they continue with another person's story?

20. Apr 11, 2017 #20 of 133
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    The only person I, and I'm sure most, would've liked to see Bryce get his comeuppance.