12 Monkeys - 3/27/15 "Shonin"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by morac, Mar 29, 2015.

1. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

Talk about information overload. There was a lot of backstory info in this episode. It pretty much explained everything, except why the 12 Monkeys want to release the virus and who that woman and her father are and how the woman knew about Ramses. I'm assuming that will be explained by the end of the season.

I liked it, though it kept bugging me how no one aged in 28 years. Everyone looks the same in every time (except Goines).

2. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Seriously, they were able to get a Japanese descent actor to play the prison mole, but picked one with a really bad US accent in his Japanese? Acevedo (Ramse) did a better job than he did.

--Carlos V.

3. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Prison mole?

4. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    The guy with the van-dyke who kept beating up on Ramse, and who Ramse took down "without lifting a finger" by announcing out loud that he worked for the guards.

The current theory about the agelessness is that the serum that they give to facilitate the splintering makes them ageless. And yes, that makes pallid man and that woman time travelers like Cole and Ramse.

--Carlos V.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Ah. But he wasn't actually a rat; Ramse just said he was so the other prisoners would kill him (why they just took his word for it is another matter)...

6. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm confused. So much in this week's episode...

* The person contacting Ramse in jail, which I assume is the female he later meets. How does she know he's there, and who is she? Have we met her before?

* When the two amulets meet, green turns red. Huh?

* How does the female controlling Ramse (see my note #1 above) know all she knows? She seems to be very aware of various future time paths.

* Did Ramse not age from 199x thru 201x? Prison and more, he looked the same.

* Do we know who the Witness is yet? Is it supposed to be Ramse, that woman, tall pale man? And the Traveler? Is that Ramse?

* Do we know WHY the 12 Monkeys want to let loose the virus? Is there some reason they want to wipe out the world that I missed?

And for the love of all that counts, please don't let Goines wear that hairpiece again.

7. cstelter

cstelter Active Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    Pallid man is not Ramse, is he? Ramse and Pallid guy had the same necklace-- the one that Jennifer gave Ramse. But I don't think that would mean they're the same guy. Somehow Pallid man gave the neclace to Jennifer after 2015 who gave it to Ramse in 2043 who finally brought it back to Pallid man (much like the watch from the first ep).

So what was accomplished by touching the two? Just proving it was the same item temporally displaced?

Also still unanswered is the flash Cole keeps having about spilled milk-- some competing alternate timeline (same thing happened to him when he returned to future and all was different). And the whole drug/red forest bit.

Ramse/Pallid trying to maintain original timeline and Cole/Jones trying to change it.

8. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Also lots of questions. What possible benefit is gained by destroying the world with a plague? And is Ramsey trying to keep the "current" timeline just so his son will live? Really? Destroy the whole world for your kid, and you're stuck (he is stuck, isn't he?) twenty some years behind him and can't even protect him in the lawless place he lives? Or am I wrong about all of that?

9. cstelter

cstelter Active Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Mankato, MN
    What benefit in unleashing the plague?

Kind of a hysteresis loop where forward events come back and effect past events only to end up at the future.

Event 1-- plague accidentally unleashed by 1000 year old corpse
    Event 2-- Jones successfullly tries to undo plague through time travel
    --> whoever was sent back is stranded in past, but lives on
    --> serum that makes them immune to paradoxes allows this
    Event 3-- in 2025 another accident triggers an even worse plague. The guy
    immune to paradoxes (still living) realizes that it is worse than
    before and finds the guys doing time travel and someone else
    is sent back to give them a shot of at least living to 2043.
    Event 3-- This person succeeds in unleashing plague, but has to form army of
    12 monkeys to get it done.
    Event 4-- Cole goes back

etc..

Eventually we have 5-6 time travelers-- some from a future with a plague and some in a future without a plague each trying to undo the other catastrophe.

Probably will end with someone from the plague going back in time around 1000 AD and dying and becoming the corpse that starts it all.

I have no reason to think this is where they are going, but it could answer the question of why anyone would unleash a plague where folks are still living in 2043 vs a plague that kills *everyone* even faster in 2025.

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I was thinking the corpse was a time traveler.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Since they introduced it, I've wondered which character in the show ends up being it...

12. leswar

leswar leswar

Apr 14, 2005
    Vero Beach
    I think it is Cole by the way he reacted to the corpse when in close proximity.

13. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    There's obviously another time traveler that is/was the "Striking Woman"s father. (That's her character name right now according to IMDB). Maybe there isn't, and Cole is her father, if he starts splintering again (maybe an alternate future pull him forward, to send him back again.)

14. Sixto

Sixto Member TCF Club

Sep 16, 2005
    i thought the same. He reacts to that corpse.

15. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    This episode was much better.

16. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I thought it was made clear at the very end that the witness was Ramse...

17. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    No, I think you're correct about all of that; at least I agree with it :D

18. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

It was clear, but they also called him the traveler, so I could see why there was some confusion.

19. Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    Sorry I'm getting lost. Who and what is the witness?

20. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    At least with this show I'm confused but intrigued unlike Helix where I'm confused and close to disgusted.