11n and "modified" TiVo HD's

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Richierod, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Richierod

Richierod New Member

May 13, 2012
    Hillsboro, OR
    My HD had not yet received the 11n update, so I called Tivo support and was told my unit was too old and will not get the update. I sat on that for a while, but since it didn't seem right to me, I decided to email support for verification. To my surprise, I got this response...

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I would be glad to help you with a modified device.

This unit (edit tsn) will not be getting the update since it has been modified. This unit was opened and has had the hard drive replaced. Once the unit is tampered with they rarely are able to get updates. You can use the unit as is on the current software, but this device will not be getting any update and can not be exchanged through us.

Sincerely,
    Megan

I took this as a little harsh, but wondered how many "tampered with" HD's have gotten the 11n update. Yes, like many others, I did replace the puny original hard drive with a 1Tb drive. If it matters, I still have the original which I assume still works.

Rich

2. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Did you mention the modification issue in your email or the phone call?

I have never had an original hard drive in a Tivo for more than a few hours and all my modified Tivos have received updates over the years just fine.

3. Richierod

Richierod New Member

May 13, 2012
    Hillsboro, OR
    No, didn't even think of that being an issue. No problems getting updates either, on 11.0m now.

4. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    If you didn't mention it then maybe they ARE actually be checking now. I never did get n and finally loaded an image instead.

5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Interesting. My TivoHD, which I upgraded to a 1TB drive, has not received the 11.0n upgrade either. It has received updates in the past, as it is on 11.0m. Maybe there is something to this for 11.0n?

This makes me hesitant to upgrade my Roamio Plus to a 3TB drive like I had planned.

6. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    At least initially 11n was only given to Comcast customers. It was then given to non Comcast customers who contacted tivo, said they're not getting some channels which are mp4 and request the software. Any non Comcast customer, who needs the update should make a request.

Some of the tools and guides people use when replacing a stock drive inhibit software upgrades.

7. Richierod

Richierod New Member

May 13, 2012
    Hillsboro, OR
    Well, so far I haven't seen anybody have issues with upgrades/updates after replacing a hard drive. Definitely a line in the sand with 11.0n though!

8. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    From the other thread:
    Worked for me with a 2TB EURS drive in my HD.

9. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I would think that only a small percentage of Tivo HDs are still running with the original hard drive.

10. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    True. But not a tiny one; I'd say about 20-25% are original drives (at least of the ones being given away or sold very cheaply). I handle a lot of them.

11. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Is Tivo really going to exclude 75% of the Tivo HDs from the 11n update? The Roamio and Bolt automatically install an image on a new hard drive, so that seems like an acknowledgement from Tivo that hard drives will be replaced. My premiere continues to get updates with a new hard drive.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  12. buccobruce

buccobruce Member

Aug 25, 2007
    My TiVo HD with an upgraded hard drive received the update.

bb

13. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    Our two TiVo HDs both have have upgraded hard drives and both received the 11m upgrade.

14. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Do you mean 11.0n?

Scott

15. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    Sorry about that. I was thinking 11.0m was the update.

Mine are still on 11.0m.

They are both OTA now and not using cableCARDs and are not our main TiVos.

I guess I'd better get an image in case I ever want to use them with Comcast again.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  16. Richierod

Richierod New Member

May 13, 2012
    Hillsboro, OR
    Update:
    Got 11.0n this morning. Did use the most suggested/common method posted. :D
    It kinda felt like pitting Tivo against Tivo, but I'll get over it!

17. jetcobra

jetcobra Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    What is the "most suggested/common method posted"?

Are you on some other provider than Comcast?

I am on FIOS and called today to request 11n for my TIVO HD and they told me it was only for Comcast and would not work for FIOS TIVO HD's. If it works for others on FIOS or any other provider please let me know. I also sent them an email after my call.

Thanks

18. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I can confirm first hand 11.0n works with both FIOS and Comcast meg4 channels.

19. Richierod

Richierod New Member

May 13, 2012
    Hillsboro, OR
    Tivo Margret is your friend

I have FiOS, but using my HD over the air only. I wanted 11.0n because I want to give the HD to my daughter and she does have Comcast.

20. jetcobra

jetcobra Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks - I sent her an email with the TDN of my Tivo HD.