11.22.63 Finale 4/4/2016 **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Chuck_IV, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Apr 5, 2016 #1 of 43
    Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut

Advertisements

So did anyone else watch this? I didn't read the book so I had no knowledge of how things would play out.

I loved that he did stop the assassination and we got to see how that changed the future. I would have liked to see more about the changes tho.

I figured he would be blamed for the attempted assassination when it was done but where they lost me is when he was being grilled by the FBI guy, suddenly the Prez calls and thanks him. Kinda wierd the way they played that out.

The odd part was that Sadie was in the back of the car when he first goes back in Maine but he first meets her Dallas. It's explained at the end when he's dancing with her that she has relatives there but I still thought it was a bit far fetched.

Overall, the ending was satisfying since he finally heeded the warning from that guy who was in the past continually failing to save his kid. During thr dance, I was expecting her to recognize him from the last meeting he had with her, when he reset things.

Pretty good tho.

2. Apr 5, 2016 #2 of 43
    lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I really liked the series and thought the finale was great.

Apparently, people who have read the book are generally less pleased.

3. Apr 5, 2016 #3 of 43
    3D

3D Active Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Plantation, FL.
    I'm pretty sure she had mentioned to him in one of the earlier episodes that she had cousins in that part of Maine. Too lazy to check, but I'm guessing she was always in that car and we just didn't notice because she hadn't been introduced into the show when we previously saw the scene of him arriving.

4. Apr 5, 2016 #4 of 43
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yep.

Really, though, she should have been a little more creeped out by Jake. ;)

Here's an interesting interview with the showrunner about why she made the changes from the book that she did. I think they did a good job of streamlining the story. Sure, the book is a lot deeper and more involved, but you just can't do that in nine hours.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  5. Apr 5, 2016 #5 of 43
    warrenn

warrenn Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse

Advertisements

Yeah, I was wondering what I missed. Anyone who read the book know what happened? Why did Kennedy call the guy who everyone though was the assassin to thank him?

Also, does the book explain why other people couldn't fall in the rabbit hole? At the end when Jake resets everything, why didn't the thugs chasing him fall through too?

6. Apr 6, 2016 #6 of 43
    rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    JFK told him on the phone that his secret service detail told him what happened. They may have more details than any FBI agent that's trying to cover things up. The FBI is probably trying to destroy any evidence that tells the truth of the situation.

7. Apr 6, 2016 #7 of 43
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I was expecting Jake to get shot by Jack Ruby when the Dallas police was moving him through that media scrum from interrogation.

Overall, I'd say this is one of the only Stephen King television mini-series adaptations which started out great and ended well. Usually I find that they really fall apart in the last two or three episodes.

8. Apr 6, 2016 #8 of 43
    teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    Where?

9. Apr 6, 2016 #9 of 43
    dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
  10. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
  11. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    No problem.

This was such a good mini-series. The last episode was nearly perfect in my opinion. There was a resolution that wasn't a fairy tale ending but realistic ( as far as a fantastic story can be realistic).

I was sad to see it end and hope there is a follow up/continuation of the story a la The Strain.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, The Strain was conceived and written as a trilogy, which they're not even halfway through yet, just as 11/22/63 (the book, not 11.22.63 the TV show) was conceived and written as a complete story. So there's been no continuation of The Strain, and probably never will be once it finishes the book material.

13. teknikel

teknikel Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Baltimore
    Maybe it the Leftovers I'm thinking of?

14. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I thought overall this series was a pretty good adaptation of the book. Although I haven't read the book recently so I'm fuzzy on some of the stuff in it.

And though I like the idea of things getting worse in the future after stopping the assassination, I can't believe they would get THAT bad.

Now I'm done with the the book and the series... I don't feel like I ever need to read or watch either of them again.

15. warrenn

warrenn Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2004
    Tivoverse
    The article mentioned how they wanted to include more of the mundane stuff like his life teaching high school, his relationship with Sadie, etc. I'm glad they didn't add that. I felt like things moved along just at the edge of being too slow. I personally would have liked to see more of the time travel aspect of him trying different things in the past and then jumping to the future to see the outcome. It's frigging time travel!!! Don't waste it teaching high school. But I still enjoyed it, and agree that's it's one of the few King adaptations where the ending didn't disappoint.

16. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    In the book the rabbit hole puts you into an alley adjacent to a working mill, and there's a chain at the entrance of the alley telling people to stay out until repairs are made to the sewer pipe so no one ever goes in and stumbles into the rabbit hole.

17. TeddS

TeddS Obfuscator

Sep 21, 2000
    NYC
    Great show. I can't wait for 11.23.63. (j/k)

I think Stephen King said he had originally written a different ending, but that his son, Joe Hill (also a writer) helped him do a rewrite and improvement on the ending.

The ending in the book and movie were, IIRC, essentially the same if not in every detail. I thought the ending worked very well.

So, I say thank you to Joe Hill for probably saving a good book/show from potentially having a not-so-great ending.

18. MikeekiM

MikeekiM Palindromer

Jun 25, 2002
    SF Bay Area
  19. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
  20. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA