11.22.63 2/15/2016 (S01E01) "The Rabbit Hole"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Feb 16, 2016.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...

Advertisements

Funny thing is while watching it so much seemed sorta familiar, so I checked and apparently I did buy the Stephen King book for my Kindle back in 2013. I really hadn't thought I did when I'd first heard about the series being made for Hulu.

But it was quite enjoyable to see on the screen. I can't say what may or may not follow the book, but at least so far nothing is standing out as a big glaring what-the-hell-were-they-thinking moment like "Under the Dome". :)

One thing I did find myself getting annoyed with was how Jake was reacting to some of the things in the past, as if they are totally unexpected to him, which they're really not. I hope it's just a bit of an artistic exaggeration/getting into the role, and it'll become less of a thing as the series goes on.

2. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    Hiya Doug! Read the book a while back - didn't know there was a TV series from this!
    Please, which network?

3. rharmelink

rharmelink Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Hulu.com.

It's a Hulu Original 8-episode mini-series.

4. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Penalty points for the mispronunciation of "Bangor."

The series also cut some corners by making the rabbit hole drop Jake into 1960 vs. 1958 in the book. It cut a lot of the Maine content out of the early plot but I guess the objective of the series will still be met.

Last summer during a trip to Maine we detoured to Lisbon Falls which is the location of the diner and rabbit hole on the book. The book is very faithful to the actual location but obviously the series couldn't be, having been shot in Canada. Some dissonance for me due to that but cutting quickly to Dallas helped alleviate that.

Not sure how closely the series will align to the book going forward. Some casting spoilers from looking at IMDB, namely
    the yellow card man only appears in one episode. Chekhov's gun?

5. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN

Advertisements

I was surprised he went right off to Dallas when he went back. From the end of this first episode, it seems like he's going to go do some of the things I thought he'd do first.

I also remember the rabbit hole in the past being like in an alley or something. In the TV show, it's like in the middle of a parking lot of something. Don't people notice this person just appearing out of no where? Is the crazy guy the only one that notices?

I liked the first episode and will keep watching. One new episode every week for 8 weeks then?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  6. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    The book has the rabbit hole exit to a much less visible spot close to the factory building. Lots of people would see Jake enter and exit the location the show uses.

7. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I guess since it's the same moment in time every time, coincidentally nobody happens to be looking at that spot during that moment.

8. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    In the book, the rabbit hole in 1958 was like roped off. They theorized that someone knew the rabbit hole was there and didn't want people wandering into it. I don't remember if they ever verified that for sure.

In the TV show, anybody could just walk into that spot. So, it must only be a person that traveled to 1960 can go into the rabbit hole.

9. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    Ah, I just found this thread. I watched the first ep on Hulu and thought it was very good, even though it did have gaping holes with the book. Looking forward to the next 7. What, are they going to do 1 a week? That will put me into the next month's 11.99 payment. OMG! How will I make my mortgage?

10. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    You can save ~$4.00 by watching some ads... ;)

11. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    We have Hulu Plus (Wife uses it a lot), but I watched this by magical means.

12. BRiT wtfdotcom

BRiT wtfdotcom Active Member

Dec 16, 2015
    First episode seemed solid, watched it or free as they were advertising it as freebie for xbox one. However, Hulu is making a mistake in not having all the episodes available to binge on at once. I know friends who said they wont bother with this until all episodes are available. The trouble is, will it still have their attention in 2 months?

13. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I was disappointed to discover it wasn't being released all at once, but at the same time I think I can understand why. Getting viewers to come back for something is probably beneficial to them. They just don't really have a lot of original offerings yet and need to build up the potential audience more.

14. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Yankee Fan

Jul 8, 2002
    Fresno, CA
    Hulu's first original season of The Mindy Project was released the same way, one ep at a time.

15. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I personally think one episode at a time would be best for companies like Hulu and Netflix. People that want to watch this show really bad might subscribe for 2 months so that they are always caught up on the show. As already stated, some bingers will just wait until the whole thing is up and then watch it.

It actually might not be as important for Netflix, since they are constantly releasing new shows. So, people won't cancel Netflix because every month there is some new show they want to watch. Hulu on the other hand doesn't seem to release all that much exclusive stuff that gets a lot of attention.

I guess I don't care either way. Paying an extract $12 to watch this show over 2 months isn't going to kill me. Plus, I've been subscribing to Hulu for the last couple months anyway watching Seinfeld.

16. SoupMan

SoupMan Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2001
    MD
    I noticed a Hulu spend $10/get $10 credit offer on my Amex that might be of use to those that only want to use the service for a couple month run of a show. YMMV with these offers as to whether they show up for you or not. They seem to vary by what type of Amex you have.

17. squigy0

squigy0 Internet DJ & Dummy

Mar 20, 2003
    Owings...
    Is not going immediately to Russia to find Lee to kill him or killing him when he first arrives in America, then coming back through the rabbit hole to see if that fixed anything a weak plot point, or just not something that the lead characters have in their nature to think about/do?

Because if it didn't work, you just go back & everything resets, then you follow a different set of leads. Seems like a much more efficient use of time.

18. Hoffer

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I guess the thought is that if they kill Lee in the past, then whoever set him up to do it would find someone else. You are right though. Why not just try to kill him right away and see what happens. Then again, it all relies on him getting back to the rabbit hole. If he kills Lee in Russia, he might get arrested and put in prison for 50 years and never make it back to the rabbit hole. It would be pretty risky to murder, or attempt murder, over and over again wanting to see the results. Eventually things will go bad, and you might get killed yourself or arrested.

19. squigy0

squigy0 Internet DJ & Dummy

Mar 20, 2003
    Owings...
    I was thinking this as I posed the question. So now the question becomes is it in our main characters' nature to think "I f*ck with the past and the past f*cks back, I'm already putting myself in great risk poking around as it is, so I want to be absolutely sure because the consequence is for sure to be massive."

20. jr461

jr461 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Northern NJ
    I thought at first when he saw the effects of the fire that he might go back to the present and then back again to 1960 to reset everything since all his notes had been destroyed but later got the impression he intended to check out the massacre story described by his janitor student on the way to Maine and then just go home (to the present) and forget the whole thing.