1080i through RGB Component Cables?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by magnum68, Jul 27, 2007.

1. magnum68

magnum68 New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pembroke...
    Hi, I am almost ready to buy a Series 3. My tv is HD compatible but does not have a HDMI nor DVI connector. It has the RGB Component that supportsis 1080i. My question is, will the RGB component output from the Series 3 unit deliver 1080i or will it only deliver 1080i through the HMDI connection? Which my tv does support.

Thanks,
    magnum68

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

May 10, 1999
    Are you sure it's RGB? Tivo S3 (as well as 99.9% of HDTVs), supports YPbPr component (sometimes mislabeled on TV as YCbCr), although the jacks themselves are color coded red/green/blue. Tivo S3 will output 1080i just fine over this.

Only the very first model year or two of Mitsubishi sets, & possibly some RCA + Zenith, maybe a few others + front projectors, used RGB, usually RGBHV with separate sync signals. If your set is one of these ultra early models that only does RGB you'd need some sort of transcoder.

Check the lettering next to the jacks, or your manual. Post model # if you can't figure it out.

3. magnum68

magnum68 New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pembroke...
    I'm out of town but I'll be back home tomorrow. I'll check it out and post it. I got this from the web. It's from my TV.

Mitsubishi Platinum Series Model WS-55809

HDTV Upgradeable
    Diamond Vision Optical System:
    MicroFine Phosphor CRTs
    Front Reflective Surface Mirror
    DiamondBrite Screen
    ColorTuned Diamond Shield
    Highe-Speed Velocity Scan Modulation
    DPM3 (Third generation DiamondDigital Pixel Multiplier)
    Motion-Adaptive 3D Y /C Comb Filter
    2-Tuner Multi-IPI/POP and Split Screen
    2 Component Video Inputs with 480i/480p Capability
    Color Temperature Control (Low = 6500 K)
    4 S-Video Inputs (3 Rear, 1 Front)

4. dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes, it will. I've had this setup since I got my S3.

5. mriechers

mriechers New Member

May 26, 2005
    but that says your TV only does 480p, not 1080i... that would be cause for concern for me.

6. magnum68

magnum68 New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pembroke...
    I know for sure it does because in one of the rear set component inputs, it has written on top: DTV1080i, 480P. The other components say 480P. And infront of the TV it says HD1080i. I did find a few errors in the Tv's description from where I copied and pasted the info. Even with the remote control I'm able to change the settings from 480P to 1080i. I'm just dying to use it in HD.

magnum68

7. hutchca

hutchca New Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Yeah. Component video connections are color coded Red, Green and Blue but they are more properly referered to as Component inputs.
    As Stephen pointed out above, RGB is a dead format except for analog VGA connectors.

TiVo will output all available modes to the Component output. 480i, 480p, 720p or 1080i
    I use component output and 1080i Hybrid mode since my TV doesn't have HDMI and won't do 720p either.

My TV locks to "full" strech mode on a 1080i signal and you can't change it, so I use the hybrid mode to make it switch to 480p on SD signals. That way my TV will switch back "natural wide" and/or allow me to control the stretch mode for 4:3 signals.

8. magnum68

magnum68 New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pembroke...
    Thanks guys for you responses. That's why I love this community, it's full of knowledgeable Tivo users. I'll be ordering my Series 3 very soon. I'm now debating on the series 3 or the new Tivo HD.

magnum68

9. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

May 10, 1999
    No problem with that model Mitsubishi. The DTV input is switchable in the setup menu between YPrPb & RGB, just make sure you match up the right set of jacks when connecting.

Can't use the component 480i/p inputs for the HD though.

10. TokyoShoe

TokyoShoe Frustrated TiVoHD'er

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I don't know if it helps, but I'll toss it in anyway:

I've got component video and component audio cable setup on my TiVo HD.. to my Toshiba 32" HD LCD TV. Works like a charm, and gives me 1080i in supernice quality.

11. magnum68

magnum68 New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pembroke...
    I just bought a brand new Series 3 with lifetime for $1060.00 on ebay. I feel that I got a great deal. It comes with the original 250GB hard drive. It should arrive tomorrow becuase the seller lives only 60 miles away from me. For the momemnt I have no plans on upgrading the hard drive. But I definately will in the future. I'm going to connect it to the TV that has my Humax DRT400. I like that one becuase it has a DVD/Burner. In fact, I have Two Toshiba RS-TX20, One Humax DRT800 & One Humax DRT400. They all have the lifetime with upgraded hard drives except for one of the Toshibas. It's on the monthly discount which I'll be selling in late September when the one year contract is up. I can't wait for my series 3 to arrive. I'll keep you guys posted.

magnum68