101 ways to leave a gameshow!

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by omnibus, Jun 21, 2011.

1. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    I can't believe I watched this cheesy garbage. I think the last stunt determing the 50K winner was the least dangerous from a production standpoint.

2. andyw715

andyw715 Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Suprised to see the car actually had window glass. Usually those stunt cars don't, esp those destined to be flipped and set on fire.

3. stark

stark Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Eden...
    It seemed like there was 42 minutes of build up and two minutes of something actually happening.

4. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    +1

Watched it once, won't watch it again.

5. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Ya noticed you really didn't see that guy go over the side of the truck, I wonder if he really did hurl? He looked like he was going to just being on top of it.

I was actually feeling queezy just watching them on those planks. 50K is not enough for me just to stand on it. No way....
    But that being said, the ride on top of the plane looked awesome.

6. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Watched, but man what a stupid show. People watch game shows so they can play along at home by answering the questions. You have to keep the questions coming at a reasonable rate to keep people interested. This show had very few questions, and then spread them out across the whole show so there was no consistency. The stunts were cool, but they shouldn't be built up so much. There's simply not enough there to warrant the build up.

I think that was simply a production mistake. The helicopter was on the wrong side of the semi when the guy dropped, so they didn't have footage from the correct angle. I'll bet someone got chewed out for that.
    I'd actually like to go on this show just to lose and get to participate in some of those awesome stunts.

On the final task, did it look like the people were falling full speed, or were the wires connected to a descender that slowed them down just a bit? Landing in water from 100 feet up can really hurt if you don't enter the right way, but none of them seemed to be concerned about that.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    argh, I forgot to record this I'm pretty sure..

8. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO
    They had wires and their descent was controlled and slowed.

9. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Awesomely bad. A few funny moments, but this got old quick. My 12 year old liked it though...so I guess this has some appeal to...kids?

Reminded me a bit like the series from about 10 years ago...Dog Eat Dog, only without the bevvy of hot babes.

10. Tivo_60

Tivo_60 NY State of Mind

Jun 13, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    +1 and I have to add that the host (forgot his name) was just as bad as the show.

Bring back Fear Factor and Joe Rogan in HD and you've got a show !

11. Squeak

Squeak Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 12, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    They had wires slowing them down on that descent.

And they had wires pulling them up on the "escape seat" stunt as well. They were not going up using rockets.

12. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Yes, I was aware there were wires. I just wasn't positive whether they were using descenders to slow them down or if those were just there for safety reasons.

As for the "escape seat," I thought they did a very good job of filming that. The wires were obvious, but the crane boom they must have used was never shown, which was pretty impressive.

13. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wasn't that the show where they would fall into a big pool most of the time?

I thought there was a semi-famous woman host of that show.. but I can't confirm (imdb has very little about dog eat dog from 2001)

btw, the show's rerunning on Saturday.

14. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    Brooke Burns

15. Swirl_Junkie

Swirl_Junkie New Member

Mar 11, 2001
    Philly, PA
    They should rename this show " 101 percent chance this show is soon leaving".

16. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I actually thought it was pretty good, and a good summer game show format (as in, it wouldn't normally last more than 8 weeks or so).
    Of course everything's safe - it's interesting to watch the losers lose but at the end of the day it's just a more elaborate way of getting slimed.

17. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Thanks.. much better.. Apparently I found a *different* Dog eat dog from a year earlier when I was searching yesterday.

18. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I saw a small part of this show. I'd say they're a heartbeat away from killing or maiming somebody and a massive law suit.

Why do people do this stupid stuff?

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    No way. They want you to think that, but they've taken all kind of safety precautions.

Either that, or they're filming in Mexico like Fear Factor did so the liability wouldn't be so great.

20. DougF

DougF Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2003
    North Dakota
    That's what she said.