10-250 video setting

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by rick31621, Jan 16, 2006.

1. rick31621

rick31621 New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    So Calif

Advertisements

I'll be using the 10-250 strictly to view HD thru my HD TV.
    For now I'm keeping the R10 connected to view SD.
    My question is should the 10-250 be set for 720 or 1080.
    I can't figure out the difference or preference.

Thanks

2. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    It depends chiefly on the native rez of your display, and on whether the rescaling in the PVR is better than the rescaling in the display. If you have a set with a native rez of 1080, set the PVR to 1080. Otherwise, you are losing resolution (on some 1080 source content, at least). If you have a set with a native rez of 720, setting the Tivo to 720 will prevent rescaling in both the PVR and the display. If you have a set with a native rez of 768, 1080 will give you an almost-invisible smidgen more of resolution (on some 1080 source content, at least), but that will typically be at the cost of interlace artifacts (on both 720 and 1080 content...all of it), manifesting as jaggies on diagonal lines.

The best advice, once you know the above going in, is to try different output rez settings, and pick what works best for you and your display. Just don't make the mistake of thinking you have to match the output rez to the transmitted rez. You don't, and doing so buys you nothing.

3. durl

durl 67° 40% chance/rain

Dec 1, 2005
    Blaine, MO
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but a bigger factor is what resolutions your TV will accept. Check your manual to see what it does with a 720p signal. My TV (like a lot of others) doesn't accept a 720p format so it down-converts it to 480p.

Personally, I'd go with 1080i.

4. TyroneShoes

Sep 6, 2004
    It sounded like the OP was getting a new HDTV, but maybe not. Virtually all HD sets made within the last year or two accept all output rez settings of the HR10.

5. rick31621

rick31621 New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    So Calif

Advertisements

How do I figure out the native res.
    It's a HD Sony KV-32HS420?

The only mention is that the HDMI can handle all 4 (1080i/720p/both 480s)

So which, 720 or 1080 is prefered?

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    That is a direct view 4:3 TV that supports 16:9 and has the usual HD inputs, component and HDMI. Most direct view TVs (CRT based) are native up to 1080i display. So in your case use whatever looks the best for you. The TV probably also has a setting. So it all depends on what does the better conversion, when conversion is needed, the HR10 or the TV.

You do know that HD content on that TV will be letterboxed?

7. TyroneShoes

Sep 6, 2004
    Now THAT is a bit older, but it sounds like it doesn't matter. My guess would be that this is a 720 set, just from the vintage. Certainly not 1080, maybe 768. Check the manual.

8. rick31621

rick31621 New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    So Calif
    Manufactured Jan 2005.

9. lromoda

lromoda New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    As i read through these forums it doesn't take long to formulate a theory as to why we haven't adopted HDTV as a whole. It's just too damn confusing for the masses. I can't count the number of times I've walked into places where someone has spent a nice chunk of change on an HDTV, but has idea what they are really seeing.

Examples

1. People who have no hd tuner whatsoever but think they do.
    2. People who had their HD cable box hooked up by an experienced cable installer yet the monitor setting are set to 4:3 480i.
    3. People who actually have all the right equipment properly installed, are watching an HD channel, but the content is upconverted SD.
    4. multitude of incorrect zoom settings with SD content such as DVD's resulting in squashed heads or extremely slim figures.

It's enough to make me pull my hair out. Let's not even get into digital audio setup ....

I know, probably wrong place for my rant and it's not directed at you. It just seems that if it has more than an on-off button and a single channel changer.... most people will have it set up incorrectly for the life of their equipment.... Sad really.