1. Web Browsing via TiVo 2. Facebook via TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by singit, Nov 30, 2015.

1. singit

singit New Member

Jul 29, 2006
    NW Suburbs...

Advertisements

I realize this may be stretching the boundaries... but "TiVo Discussion" surely seems it would be a very broad topic, so:

1. Does TiVo provide or support a way to browse the internet via your TV
    screen? If additional gear is required, what would that be?
    2. Does TiVo provide or support a way to post and view Facebook?

My TV is a bit vintage (2007) but fairly high end Sony Bravia (KDL-46V2500), so it's not to my knowledge sporting a web browser, but it works so well I'm gonna ride this pony on into its glorious sunset.

After having to abandon DirectTv/TiVo in 2006 (may my neighbor's incredibly tall trees be forever cursed), I'm excited to be back in the TiVo fold now!

Thank you VERY much for your help!

2. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    You can get a Raspberry Pi for $5 now that you can use for web surfing and facebook. Trying to do such a thing on a Tivo would be an absolute nightmare with no keyboard or mouse. If the R-Pi isn't your cup of tea, there are tons of tiny Android and PC boxes that would work just as well. Add a $20 Logitech k400, and you've got a full blown PC on your TV. If you're concerned about switching inputs, get a universal remote. The $14 OARUSB04G and the $16 Nevo C2 will do it all with a single button press, just like a $100 Harmony.

3. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    There is a Facebook app in the opera store, but it isn't going to give you live updates while you are watching tv.