1 vs 100 - how many eps did they make?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by mattack, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Jul 1, 2011 #1 of 11
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I can't find the post where I asked about it (I went back a few months in my posting history), but I *thought* I only found out about the game show network version fairly recently.

It seems like I've gone through all of them already. (At first, there was confusion with the weekend & weekday runs 'overlapping' soon after I started watching, but I realized they were separately scheduled runs.)

Did they only make one season with maybe 40 episodes or so? There seems to not be very many, plus as far as I can remember, the copyright date was always 2010 on ones I checked.

2. Jul 1, 2011 #2 of 11
    DVC California

DVC California Member

Jun 4, 2004
    That's what IMDB has listed:

Carrie Ann Inaba ...
    Herself - Host (40 episodes, 2010-2011)

1 vs. 100 (TV Series 2010– )

3. Jul 5, 2011 #3 of 11
    martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I didn't even know they "revived" it with a different host. I just saw the Bob Saget version.

4. Jul 5, 2011 #4 of 11
    That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    There were a few changes:
    • The GSN episodes are only 30 minutes
    • The grand prize is only $50,000 (except for a week of episodes where it was $100,000)
    • The mob wasn't actually there, but appeared on a giant video screen (and all mob reactions were pre-recorded)
    • Because the mob could not interact, there were only two helps - Poll and Trust - and if you used Poll, you did not get someone telling you why he/she gave that answer

5. Jul 5, 2011 #5 of 11
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Interesting. I really liked the original version on NBC (still have my SP in the hopes that one day it will return). I'll have to see if we get GSN and try to record some of the reruns.

6. Jul 5, 2011 #6 of 11
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, usually I check imdb, but I didn't even think of checking it in this case. I did check epguides.com, but it only has the original version.. (and apparently there were several unaired eps of that one).

Heh, I even bumped up my guess as to # of eps.. at first I was going to say like 20 or 30.. but then realized it was probably more weeks than I thought.

Guess I can cancel the SP now.

7. Jul 5, 2011 #7 of 11
    mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    + nobody actually ever got the maximum prize, IIRC.

8. Jul 6, 2011 #8 of 11
    Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    I liked the NBC version, they tweaked it after a couple episodes and I really enjoyed it. Xbox Live even had a version that was fun.

Part of the fun was the 100 peeps in the Mob, can't really do it without that group there.

9. Jul 6, 2011 #9 of 11
    That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    On the NBC version, one person did - it was a man against a mob of 100 women. (Insert joke/comment here.) I don't remember anyone getting the grand prize on the GSN version.

10. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Weird, I would think this show would be dirt cheap to produce (though I admit I don't quite know how they record *100* reaction shots.. Even though they're all canned.. and probably running on a loop, that would seem to take forever)..

But for the basic game, get a whole bunch of 'the mob'. (Though they seemed to change out the mob a few times -- unless the same people were 'the biker' one day and Santa Claus the next.)

Then ask them ALL 500 questions or whatever. Then you just do each contestant the 'next batch' of questions, and you already know how the mob did. It's pretty clever, actually.

11. That Don Guy

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    This is GSN. "Dirt Cheap" isn't cheap enough. I think the problem was, even with the severely reduced amounts (compared to the NBC version), they gave away too much money by GSN standards. (Remember that if they get to, say, the $10,000 level, they have to give at least $10,000 away - either to the contestant or to the mob.)

One of GSN's brighter ideas was a show called Friend or Foe, where it was quite likely for nobody to win anything - contestants played as pairs of partners, and once it was determined how much they could win, each one had to decide secretly whether to be a "friend" (and offer to share the prize with the partner) or "foe" (and keep the whole thing while the partner gets nothing). If both players said "foe", neither got anything - and basic game theory suggests that this is the most likely result (if player B says "Foe", player A gets nothing regardless of what player A does; if player B says "Friend", player A gets half of the money by saying "Friend" and all of it by saying "Foe", so there are situations where "Foe" is better than "Friend" but none where "Friend" is better than "Foe", which means Player A should always select "Foe" - as should Player B).