1 Tivo w/ 2 computers

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ChickenCheese, Jan 19, 2006.

1. ChickenCheese

ChickenCheese with BBQ sauce

Sep 8, 2003
    PA
    I installed the TiVo desktop to my laptop and it's working great. Last night I installed the TiVo desktop to my desktop because I wanted to transfer some shows to it. But for some reason, it doesn't see my TiVo. However, the laptop does and I can transfer onto it.
    So I was wondering if you can only use the TiVoToGo services on only one computer? I did double check the media key a bunch of times. I don't think that's the problem. Maybe I need to reinstall the TiVo desktop?

2. mrjam2jab

mrjam2jab Still Learning

Jul 23, 2004
    Levittown, PA
    I have Desktop installed on 1 laptop and 2 PCs...all work just fine...... ???

3. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    It should be working for multiple computers... Could you have firewall software getting in the way?

4. ChickenCheese

Sep 8, 2003
    PA
    I don't have any firewall software on that computer. This is driving my crazy :mad:
    It should be working, but it's not. Maybe I should try re-installing the program again.

5. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    Sunny SoCal
    umm.. basic silly questions here that might or might not be relivant/helpfull. Most everyone out there is probably more knowledgeable about this problem then me.

What is your home network set up?
    Does your Tivo see your desktop computer? What OS is it?
    Did you specify a location for the shows? I'm not sure if it's possable to NOT specify a location but it's worth double checking, file->preferences.
    Is the TiVo becon running?

In general I always try reinstalling the desktop & restarting both the computer & the TiVo.

6. bd4tru

bd4tru TiVo Rookie

May 22, 2005
    Omaha
    I have/had the same problem as you. Frustrated, I just gave up and I access it solely from the desktop. I would ask, though, have you tried to manually download the shows to your desktop? Somewhere around here someone instructed how to access the TiVo by https:/IP address/Media access key, etc. I don't remember the exact method, but I'm sure subsequent posters will help you out.... If you can manually access the TiVo from both computers than I would submit that it's a software issue.

7. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    You're on target... httpS://IPofTiVo. To log in use "tivo" as your username and your media access key (MAK) as the password.

I wonder if the TiVo services are running on computer in question?

8. ChickenCheese

Sep 8, 2003
    PA
    I'm not the most computer literate, but I'll give the manual download a try.
    I assume you can get the IP of the TiVo through the menus on the TiVo itself?