1 of 2 hard drives failed.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by wbitz, Aug 27, 2007.

1. wbitz

wbitz New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    I have a box with an added 250 gig drive from weekness. Last week the primary drive failed(making all kinds of noise). My Question is can I just hook up the other drive as the primary and have it work. Or will I have to reimage it with instacake. The only problem with that is that I only have a laptop. Any help would be great.

2. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    You have to reimage the drive. WeaKnees has a service when you buy a drive from them. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. I sent both drives to WeaKnees, they identified which drive was bad and gave me an option of replacing the bad drive or using the good drive and creating a single drive system.

I think the service cost was about $75.

I can't tell from your post where you live, but if you are in my area, I would be glad to help you reimage the remaining drive. I have done it several times and I have a PC set up to do it quickly.

3. wbitz

wbitz New Member

Jul 4, 2003
    I'm in Orlando Florida, thanks for the offer for help though.
    I guess I'll check with weekness.

4. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Lately I have seen adds for WD 500 Gig drives for about $130. If you need more than 30 hours of HD record time, that might be a good option. Also, Weaknees has a 500 Gig Seagate DB35 replacement drive for $249 which should be pre-loaded and ready to install.

5. IOTP

IOTP New Member

Aug 7, 2001
    Desert...
    Download the ISO image from ptvupgrade.com. $20 for the download, burn to CD and hook up a 500GB drive.

If you are PC savvy, the instructions are pretty straight foward.

I have done this and a single 500GB drive seems to run rather well. I did not use the DB35 drives, just the standard Seagate PATA IDE off the shelf. I think outpost or newegg.com has these for about $99 delivered these days. Also, the 500GB drives come in 3 or 5 year warranties.

If you know your second 250GB is good, you can use that, but as indicated, yes you will have to reimage it.

I have the 3.1.5f cd, and upon the first call into the Tivo service, it pushes 6.3x then reboots again. The downfall, is only (1) 250 GB drives yields limited HD recording space.