0:00 Gray Screen HD Recordings

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rick.m650, Feb 27, 2008.

1. rick.m650

rick.m650 New Member

Dec 13, 2006

Advertisements

Every once in a while I schedule a recording on Fox Sports Bay Area HD (ch 720 on Comcast), however, when trying to view the recording mid-stream, it only shows a blank gray screen and 0:00 elapsed time. As soon as I stop the recording, I get the HD picture back OK but will have now missed the first half of the game I was attempting to record. This is only an intermittent problem but may have occurred on other HD channels too, like ESPNHD.

Since I can see the channel fine once I stopped recording, I don't think it would be a cable card issue. Any ideas?

I have a Series3 running 9.2a. Thanks.

2. wikka

wikka New Member

Oct 7, 2006
    i had this same issue for a few days last week.. it seems to have stopped recently

3. jlee301

jlee301 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    This has happened to me the last two Warriors games on FSBA-HD against Atlanta and Seattle.

4. Addy

Addy New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Sausalito, CA
    Same here...was actually looking if somebody was having the same problem before I posted about it. I guess it's a good thing it's not just happening to one of us. :confused:

There's a Cal game on Thurs...I'll try and record that and then the W's on Friday

Update: called TiVo and Comcast

Tech support at TiVo they had me check signal strength and the cablecard menu, everything was fine.

Comcast really couldn’t tell much but the tech did mention there was an issue uploading the “on demand” replays of the last two games (hmmmmm). He thought it was probably an issue with the broadcaster (FSBA?)

He created a ticket which generated a service call that I’ll cancel. He also said they won’t investigate the problem from their end with one complaint, so he suggested I encourage people having the same issue to call in and report it…my call went thru pretty fast in a non-peak time.

5. BrianAZ

BrianAZ Back on the wagon

Aug 13, 2007
    Chandler, Az

Advertisements

The only time I experience this is when my MCard goes bad and is pending a restart to resolve. Any recording it attempts during that period will show 00:00 and in the recording history it tells me it couldn't record because it wasn't authorized. I reboot and everything's fine again.

One potential difference of course is that this happens on nearly all channels for me when it happens.

6. jlee301

jlee301 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Well, this hasn't happened on any of my other recordings so far. Right now it has happened twice when I attempted to record Golden State Warriors games on channel 720(FSBAHDS).

I'll manually reboot my machine later today and hopefully all will be well.

My initial guess was when my Series3 box attempted to record off this channel, it was actually off-air, maybe the flip was switched for the game at 7:31 rather than 7:30 and it was fine after that. But so far from what I've seen, channel 720 doesn't go off-air, and typically just show a "HD Sports" screensaver until there's something to show.

Maybe on the next game, I will schedule it to record 2-3 mins after the start time and hope this will work.

7. jlee301

jlee301 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    This issue is definately that FSBAHDS (720) did not flip the switch when the recording started. I'm not sure how "off" the time sync is but that's definately the issue.

I just switch to the channel (5:00 PM PST) and there is no screen saver, just no signal.