‘Mindhunter’ Season 2 (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by markymark_ctown, Aug 27, 2019.

1. markymark_ctown

markymark_ctown Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    Just wrapped up...another strong season.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    It was decent, although it seemed to just kinda peter out towards the end. The case fizzled to a conclusion, Tench's family fizzled to a conclusion (the kid's case didn't even conclude at all), Wendy's romance fizzled to a conclusion...I suppose the point is how depressing all this is, but I think the point could have been made better.

Kinda makes me wonder if Season 2 and 3 were designed together, because this feels more like the grim, depressing part in the middle, not the conclusion.

3. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Seems like the non-conclusion is the entire point. Unlike a series like, say Criminal Minds, this seems to be following a little more faithfully to real world events. The Atlanta kid murders were never resolved, and these families live with this uncertainty to this day, so I think we're supposed to feel a bit of their unease.

I'm with you on the kid's case and the Wendy romance.

TiVo'Brien and jryken99 like this.
  4. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, it's one thing to not wrap up the case. But to not wrap up a SINGLE THING seems...odd.

5. markymark_ctown

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    I’d say the Atlanta Child murders wrapped up. I know only 2 cases were tried, but the others lacked the physical evidence (i.e. the fibers) that linked Wayne Williams. I recall the police acknowledged that in the show.

We’re there others guilty of the untried cases? Perhaps. But the fact that the killing stopped once WW was caught greatly reduces that possibility.

Also, Wendy’s romance ended very emphatically, no?

The only loose end is Bills marriage, which is now a missing wife and Kid :)

6. markymark_ctown

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    Anyone notice Wayne Williams first appearance...E6... as a crime scene photographer.

[​IMG]

TiVo'Brien likes this.
  7. Sep 3, 2019 #7 of 18
    logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Just finished the season and while I enjoyed it, I didn't like it as much as the first season. The fact that they are using real life murders ties their hands somewhat.

It's been a couple of years since I saw season one, but was Ford always this annoying? His inability to read a room seem odd. I wonder how much of him was based on John Douglas?

8. Sep 3, 2019 #8 of 18
    eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    I do wonder how much of this show is factual, and how much docu-drama.

9. Sep 3, 2019 #9 of 18
    jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    I was annoyed with the whole story line of Tench's kid. Added almost nothing (other then when they were interviewing Manson I guess). I liked the interaction between Tench and Ford in the first season. Also really not believable that the new boss would not know that Tench's son was involved (if only a witness) to a murder of a young kid. I know there was no Internet or social media but there were newspapers. It was so long between seasons I kind of forgot he had a son. Wife was beyond annoying. Didn't want to believe her kid needed help. He needed help even before what happened.

I just couldn't believe how he got off every Friday and most of Monday with his new boss. How he botched the Manson interview due to his distractions at home. His boss never reviewed the tape and questioned these supposed new techniques?

Hopefully if there is a season 3 Ford and Tench are back together more.

That said we enjoyed this season and hope there is another.

10. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Good catch! if this wasn't streaming where it's so bloody difficult to skip around, I'd go back to find the scene. Nice insertion, as from what we know this seems pretty typical behavior.

11. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Remember the times. Back then, any mental issues were something to hide, not something to treat. They were viewed as defects, not diseases.

12. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Excellent point. And, the fault of the parents in some way. It was so chilling when Sandy Tench mentioned that she was glad that the child wasn't really hers (biologically).

13. logic88

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    I spent some time reading up on Wayne Williams on Wikipedia.

Wayne Williams - Wikipedia

The fact that murders appear to have stopped after his arrest is pretty compelling (though this could also be that the killer changed his MO).

The DNA testing didn't exonerate him either so that's another point in his disfavor.

tivotvaddict likes this.
  14. markymark_ctown

Oct 11, 2004
    C-Town
    I didnt catch it...I totally missed it too :)

I saw it on Reddit and thought it was a cool ‘Easter Egg’

15. logic88

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    I saw your post before watching episode 6 so I knew to expect it. :)

Around 31:15. Right after they suspend the search and the press arrives.

markymark_ctown likes this.
  16. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    i'd say that the "docu-" part is factual while the "-drama" part is fictional. In other words, it's "facto-fictual". ;)

17. SoupMan

SoupMan Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2001
    MD
    I recently read the book on which the show is based. From what I remember, the facts of the crimes are quite accurate*. The actual back and forth of the interviews was likely drama-ed up and the personal life stuff of all the characters is probably fiction since there were more agents/interviewers involved in this unit than is portrayed in the show. Though the author, on whom Ford is likely modeled after, did have some kind of physical/mental break down a few years into the project like on the show.

Before reading the book and some stuff about the case, I’d assumed the effort to try to lure the Atlanta killer out by hiring him as event security and the cross building stuff was made up for tv, but that was real

18. milo99

milo99 Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Falls...
    i just watched the 2 seasons ... i had no idea the whole profiling and concept of serial killers has only been around since 1980ish.

agreed on the seems like a middle of season end to season 2.

also, i liked how you could see on Tench's face that he has the sneaking suspicion that his kid is exhibiting behaviors of a (to be) serial killer. at least that's how i interpreted it. Must be freaky for him.

tivotvaddict likes this.