1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Making It’ with Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DeDondeEs, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Aug 8, 2018 #1 of 10
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    So far this show seems pretty good. The format of the show is all but identical to that of the Great British Baking Show, but the contestants make crafts instead of food. I like that more positive and realistic format instead of it being some over the top Mark Burnett / Gordon Ramsey type competition show.

Given that Offerman is an accomplished woodworker, I was hoping it would be more woodworking intensive. But I could see a woodworking show like that not pulling in enough ratings so they need to add in more crafts to pull in more diverse contestants and viewers.

BrettStah likes this.
  2. Aug 8, 2018 #2 of 10
    spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I didn't make it past 20 minutes.

3. Aug 8, 2018 #3 of 10
    SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    My new favorite show. These two are a hoot together, and I love all things crafting!

I liked Amy’s comment that she’d learned something, and wondered if non-crafters would watch at all. The rainbow tent is something anyone could do and kids would love it!

Seeing spartanstew’s post makes me think maybe no... and that’s too bad.

4. Aug 8, 2018 #4 of 10
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I watched the first episode.. I ALMOST killed it partway through.. but FFed through almost the whole second episode.. just wanted to see some of their banter, and not the actual competitions.

I wish it were "makers", and not the goofy stuff they're building.. If it were electronics or even furniture, I might watch it entirely. It's all "foofy" stuff they're building.

Wilhite and DeDondeEs like this.
  5. Aug 9, 2018 #5 of 10
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    It is entertaining enough for me to stick with it.

I am amazed at the creativity of people. I could never make some of these things.

I could, however, make that Green Monster terrarium. That thing was a mess.

Martha and BrettStah like this.
  6. Aug 9, 2018 #6 of 10
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I couldn't wait for this... And I was unimpressed. We've only seen the first episode and will keep watching but hope it gets better.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  7. Aug 9, 2018 #7 of 10
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I enjoy watching it in smaller doses. I watch the first challenge but then do something else and will come back to the other challenge another day.

8. Aug 9, 2018 #8 of 10
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    It’s OK for what it is. Mostly pleasant people, some humor, no obnoxious stuff like in some reality shows. We have it in our category of shows that we watch if we want something light to watch.

tivotvaddict and Wilhite like this.
  9. Aug 9, 2018 #9 of 10
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Well said. There's something very calming about it that is great when that's what you're looking for. I do wish they spent more time showing the actual products as I miss a lot of the detail in the work. In general it feels like a more successful show than the late, departed Ellen's furniture design show.

10. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I like Amy and Nick but it just feels WAY too scripted, which I'm sure it is but I don't want it to feel like that.