1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

‘Making It’ with Nick Offerman and Amy Poehler

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DeDondeEs, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Aug 8, 2018 #1 of 15
    DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    So far this show seems pretty good. The format of the show is all but identical to that of the Great British Baking Show, but the contestants make crafts instead of food. I like that more positive and realistic format instead of it being some over the top Mark Burnett / Gordon Ramsey type competition show.

Given that Offerman is an accomplished woodworker, I was hoping it would be more woodworking intensive. But I could see a woodworking show like that not pulling in enough ratings so they need to add in more crafts to pull in more diverse contestants and viewers.

BrettStah likes this.
  2. Aug 8, 2018 #2 of 15
    spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    I didn't make it past 20 minutes.

3. Aug 8, 2018 #3 of 15
    SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    My new favorite show. These two are a hoot together, and I love all things crafting!

I liked Amy’s comment that she’d learned something, and wondered if non-crafters would watch at all. The rainbow tent is something anyone could do and kids would love it!

Seeing spartanstew’s post makes me think maybe no... and that’s too bad.

4. Aug 8, 2018 #4 of 15
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I watched the first episode.. I ALMOST killed it partway through.. but FFed through almost the whole second episode.. just wanted to see some of their banter, and not the actual competitions.

I wish it were "makers", and not the goofy stuff they're building.. If it were electronics or even furniture, I might watch it entirely. It's all "foofy" stuff they're building.

Wilhite and DeDondeEs like this.
  5. Aug 9, 2018 #5 of 15
    Donbadabon

Donbadabon Geocacher TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    It is entertaining enough for me to stick with it.

I am amazed at the creativity of people. I could never make some of these things.

I could, however, make that Green Monster terrarium. That thing was a mess.

Martha and BrettStah like this.
  6. Aug 9, 2018 #6 of 15
    sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I couldn't wait for this... And I was unimpressed. We've only seen the first episode and will keep watching but hope it gets better.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  7. Aug 9, 2018 #7 of 15
    tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    I enjoy watching it in smaller doses. I watch the first challenge but then do something else and will come back to the other challenge another day.

8. Aug 9, 2018 #8 of 15
    BrettStah

BrettStah Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 12, 2000
    San Antonio
    It’s OK for what it is. Mostly pleasant people, some humor, no obnoxious stuff like in some reality shows. We have it in our category of shows that we watch if we want something light to watch.

tivotvaddict and Wilhite like this.
  9. Aug 9, 2018 #9 of 15
    tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Well said. There's something very calming about it that is great when that's what you're looking for. I do wish they spent more time showing the actual products as I miss a lot of the detail in the work. In general it feels like a more successful show than the late, departed Ellen's furniture design show.

10. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I like Amy and Nick but it just feels WAY too scripted, which I'm sure it is but I don't want it to feel like that.

11. tivotvaddict

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    The season has finished. I watched it all the way through and ended up enjoying it. A lovely little quiet show with heart that wasn't too sugary or sappy. It felt quite grounded and without the fake drama of some of the other reality shows.

Some of the creations were pretty cool too! The paint bucket stools are something I'm going to try for my next outdoor party.

cmgal and BrettStah like this.
  12. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I liked it too but Amy and Nick were sometimes trying too hard to be punny. The last 2 episodes the judges seem to really nit pick the style of things.
    [OFFTOPIC]The first time I watched MasterChef was MasterChef Australia and the contestants, hosts, and judges were so nice. There were always tears from all when someone was sent home as everyone saw how badly that person wanted it. So I watched a US version and it was so not the same show. The judges were rude and mean, the vibe the show likes to give is that if possible, on chef would murder the other for a smidgen of an advantage. One judge walked over and tasted a plated dish (they had to make 10 plates), then proceeded to just smash all the plated dishes saying they were complete garbage after just 1 bite. I dont know why US audiences need so much fake drama, it's why some people don't get The Great British Bakoff.[/OFFTOPIC]

Mikeguy and tivotvaddict like this.
  13. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I hope that the couple who got married in the finale got to keep all the gifts-that chicken coop was pretty darn cool!

14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Judge Joe Bastianich on MasterChef U.S. apparently seems to think that he gets bonus points for making nasty and snide comments to the intended chefs, and acting that way. If that is how he is in life, I can't imagine being married to him. And his mother, cook Lidia Bastianich, is anything but in her own shows.

I guess this is why I like, as do you, "The Great British Bake Off"--it's a showcase of cream floating to the top. Years ago, British TV also aired an opera, yes, opera, reality contest TV show, searching for the best opera singers in the UK. Even if you weren't an opera sort of person, you couldn't but feel affected by the show, as the talent rose and shined.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Hah, I kept recording it but only because I was FFing through the main guts of the show to get TO the punny bits.