‘7th Heaven’ canceled due to cost to network

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dswallow, Jan 17, 2006.

1. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Executive explains that the network was losing $16 million a year
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 8:41 p.m. ET Jan. 16, 2006

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10881944/from/RS.5/

PASADENA, Calif. - The Camden family is disappearing from television in May strictly for financial reasons: the WB’s top executive said Sunday that the network is losing $16 million this year on “7th Heaven.”

The family drama, the most popular program in the network’s history, will end its run after 10 years. The decision seems irreversible despite an Internet campaign to save it, even though “7th Heaven” is still the WB’s second highest-rated show after “Gilmore Girls.”

Production costs tend to jump for television series as they get older, largely because the salaries of actors and others involved grow with success. “7th Heaven,” about a family of seven and all their friends, has a large cast.

Reruns of “7th Heaven” were fading in the ratings, too, and that made it tougher for the network to recoup its investment, said Garth Ancier, the WB’s top executive.

“As much as we all love the show, we do have to run a business,” Ancier said.

Other older WB series, “Smallville” and “Gilmore Girls,” don’t have the same problem, he said.

Talks about a spinoff to “7th Heaven” have proven inconclusive so far.

The WB has struggled recently as it tries to shed its image as a teen-oriented network and seek out a broader audience. It learned the dangers of going too far when the new series “Just Legal,” starring Don Johnson, attracted viewers with the average age of 50 and was swiftly canceled.

As a result, the WB is developing a new comedy about teenagers in a New England boarding school.

The network is also developing series for Ellen DeGeneres, playing the voice of a family dog; music star Brandy; and Nick Lachey, the about-to-be former Mr. Jessica Simpson, as the lead in a romantic comedy.

2. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    I really wanted to see Maggie die at the end of this show.. I think it would bring me satisfaction for some reason.

Maggie is the mom's name right?

Anyhow that show has gone on too long.

3. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Annie.

4. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    LOL Annie...

I was actually a fan of this cheesy show for many years... It was bad television that I loved to hate.

Thanks for the correction.

5. 5thcrewman

5thcrewman Active Member

Sep 22, 2003
    NW
    The twins should go on a murderous rampage!

6. GusMan

GusMan Member

Nov 16, 2004
    This show used to be one of our favorites. However, over the past few seasons, it has turned into yet another soap-opera type of show. At the same time, there just seems to be too many characters and plot lines to follow.

I hate to see it go, but I think it is a season or two too late.

7. mitkraft

mitkraft Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Texas
    Canceled for financial reasons? Is that like "its not you...its me?"

How about canceled because it sucks! I don't know if they changed writing staff or what, but for the last few seasons this show has been spiraling into the abyss. The characters have become shells of their former selves, character actions/reactions have little to no motivation and some of the characters (like Annie) have become just plain crazy. I find myself waayy too often (I have to watch this because my wife just won't let go) going "What?!? Why the hell would he/she do that? It just doesn't make any sense for them to be that way!"

Matter of fact, this is one of the last shows we get around to. There are about 15 episodes or so on my wife's Tivo that we haven't watched (that's new episodes, not repeats).

I'm not sad to see it go, I was sad to see it decline the way it did. It used to be enjoyable.

Oh, and I haven't even mentioned the all-to-obvious shove-it-down-your-throat moral of the week format they've gone to where suddenly everyone in Glendale has to deal with racism/a teen pregnancy/drug problem/abusive father in the same week.

8. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    It's always been a soap...but at night. And had a theme every show (save the whales etc)

9. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    It used to be creatively done. Now it's just recitation of speeches on the same subject.

10. Royster

Royster Beardy

May 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    My wife and I used to have a "name the theme" contest to see how quicklyinto the show we could describe the theme 'o the week.

But the characters in this show have *always* been disfunctional. They are constantly letting third hands get in the middle of the two people who have the issue. It's an orgy of triangulation, secrets and miscommunication.

11. bryan314

bryan314 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    And just in case you couldn't ;) spot it right away, or missed the beginning they made sure to beat it over your head repeatedly, over and over, and over, throughout the episode.

12. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    I think I've seen maybe one or two episodes...it never interested me (though I'd probably like it somewhat). But being too expensive doesn't seem to make too much sense.

Ok, the cast is large. But how can that be too much of a problem? Wouldn't actors be paid partially on screen time? I would assume that, with a large cast, each actor wouldn't have a whole lot of screen time (averaged over a season...an episode focusing on one character would have more than others for that particular episode, of course).

Doesn't part of the cast rotate out? I thought they took kids in, and others left, or am I wrong with that?

And there aren't things blowing up (ie Smallville), so I can't see that being an expense.

For other costs, again, how can they compare to, say, Stargate SG-1, which is in its 8th (or is it 9th?) season, and things blow up! Yeah, lots of that is computer generated, but that's gotta cost some post production time. I'll also assume Stargate has lower ratings, due to its niche audience, which would imply lower advertising rates.

-Mike

13. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    I could never watch it--the idea of Commander Decker and the whale lady getting it on freaked me out.

14. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    How much money can this show cost? You are not paying the actors anything (hopefully) because none of them can actually act. You are not paying the writers anything (hopefully) because this show has sucked for years. Where is the money going? Along with the syndication cash.

15. Vito the TiVo

Vito the TiVo Rockin' the Suburbs

Oct 27, 2003
    Valencia,...
    I believe they've had to pay the actors and the showrunners more and more as the show runs on. Now they have simply reached the point where the cost for the talent to want to do it greater than the cost for the network to want it anymore. Even more so now with the WB dying.

16. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Another show with Brandy?

17. Steavis

Steavis Active Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Camarillo, CA
    LOL. I knew about both of those prior roles but for some reason I never made the connection. :D

18. Z-Todd

Z-Todd hard-core '24' fan

Jun 11, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    If Everwood doesn't get renewed, just watch the CW try and convince Hampton to squeeze out another year of 7th H.