Separate names with a comma.
I've had this problem for the last 2 years or so. Since the hard drive was less than a year old when it started happening, I didn't think the hard...
Going on 6 weeks since the new update and no tba's.... :eek:
I've had to reboot every other day for the last ten days because of the TBA's in the guide. Cable and OTA setup.
There was an anomaly in the space/time continuum...
I was able to connect with the Tivo but I got a pause every 10 seconds during playback which was not acceptable. I then went to my phone running...
Just tried this, didn't see any errors. (2-tuner premiere)
Or you could use the chat function of the VZW-inhome agent. Paste the relevant id info into the question and in 30 seconds you will be done. :up:
I rebooted the Tivo (again) plus all my routers and the program works again.
I started getting the following message and none of the functions work anymore:
RemoteInit - (IP=172.17.177.208, port=1413): Connection timed...
I get the m60 error like every 2 days. Reboot and the guide re-populates. :confused:
I have a Premiere and I also get the m60 message. When I reboot the channels come back though. It happens every 2 days like clockwork. :confused:
During the day today i got an email from Tivo detailing the coming changes. I had kmttg open so i initiated a 'Network Connect' and then forgot...
I have FIOS and I scanned about 20 channels. The highest signal is 94, the lowest is 93. Premiere 2 tuner model.
I get Canadian stations on OTA where I live, so having both is a plus.
I drive four TV's off of 1 TIVO with a 4 port HDMI splitter. Works great.
Open up the Tivo Desktop program and click on the 'Transfer Status' button in the upper right. You should be able to clear any stuck transfers there.
Just got an Android Tablet update that actually works :eek: