TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Added Linksys/Cisco range extender to my network, now 4 tivos acting like 2 networks

674 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  tvlandfanJG 
#1 ·
I have four Series 2 Tivos on my network. I have a Linksys/Cisco router. Everything was fine until I added a Linksys/Cisco wireless range extender to help two of my Tivos which had signal strengths hovering between 25-40%. The range extender did its job, increasing the signal strength on the two affected Tivos to 80-100%. However, the two Tivos which are being aided by the range extender keep losing contact with the other two Tivos.

If I restart all 4 Tivos, they all see each other for about 10 minutes. Then, the two Tivos aided by the range extender see each other and the other two Tivos see each other. They’re almost acting like it’s two separate networks. Ironically, At first, I could access all four Tivos using KMTTG and pyTivo. Now I can only see the two Tivos not affected by the range extender.

I thought it was a pyTivo issue but the problem continues even when I disabled pyTivo.

All 4 S2s have wireless G adapters.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

#2 ·
I have four Series 2 Tivos on my network. I have a Linksys/Cisco router. Everything was fine until I added a Linksys/Cisco wireless range extender to help two of my Tivos which had signal strengths hovering between 25-40%. The range extender did its job, increasing the signal strength on the two affected Tivos to 80-100%. However, the two Tivos which are being aided by the range extender keep losing contact with the other two Tivos.

If I restart all 4 Tivos, they all see each other for about 10 minutes. Then, the two Tivos aided by the range extender see each other and the other two Tivos see each other. They’re almost acting like it’s two separate networks. Ironically, At first, I could access all four Tivos using KMTTG and pyTivo. Now I can only see the two Tivos not affected by the range extender.

I thought it was a pyTivo issue but the problem continues even when I disabled pyTivo.

All 4 S2s have wireless G adapters.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Have you given everything on the network that doesn't travel outside the house a fixed IP address?

Is everything in agreement about exactly what encryption is being used?

(since different manufacturers tend to use different names for the same particular version and level of encryption, you might want to have the Wikipedia page open when you check)

#3 ·
Have you given everything on the network that doesn't travel outside the house a fixed IP address?

Is everything in agreement about exactly what encryption is being used?

(since different manufacturers tend to use different names for the same particular version and level of encryption, you might want to have the Wikipedia page open when you check)
Regarding encryption, I don't think that's an issue. If I disconnect the range extender, the tivos 'see' each other. When the RE is connected, the Tivos' signal strength doubles.

Pardon my ignorance, I'm not exactly sure how to mix static IP addresses with DHCP assigned addresses. Is it as simple as assigning a static address to each Tivo in Settings|Change Network Settings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.