TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

pyTivo install was a breeze but I can't wrap my tiny brain around pywin32

4K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  tvlandfanJG 
#1 ·
While visiting family I’m trying to enhance their Tivo experience a bit. I’ve successfully installed pyTivo on their desktop but I would like it to run as a service. The pyTivo install was easy enough (it’s the second time I’ve done it) but I feel like an idiot when it comes to pywin32.

I installed pyTivo about a month ago. I’m leaving soon so I thought I’d take another shot at installing pywin32. My brain is locked as to where to begin. Do I extract pywin32 into its own directory, the python27 directory or the pyTivo directory? I assume I have to run setup.py from a cmd window but I further admit my cluelessness regarding the pywin32 read me file instructions.

“setup.py' is a standard distutils build script. You probably want to:
% setup.py install” (Huh?)

Can someone give me a push to get me started?

Thanks,

Jim

#2 ·
I don't remember ever having to use pywin32, all I did was install python26 and pytivo.conf edits. I think also, python27 is not as compatible with pytivo.

#5 ·
Wouldn't it be simpler simply to add an invocation of pyTivo.py to the startup folder and forget about the whole "service" thing.
My pytivo is running as service and stays active the next time the PC is powered up.

#6 ·
My pytivo is running as service and stays active the next time the PC is powered up.
From cmd I went to my pyTivo directory and I ran

pyTivoService.py -startup auto install

I got this response...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\pytivo\pyTivoService.py", line 5, in <module>
import win32event
ImportError: No module named wine32event

#12 ·
Yes. I'm just thinking that a number of people use this computer. Running pyTivo as a service eliminates the possibility that they accidentally close the program rather than leave it minimized on the taskbar.
Ok. I understand. Not sure I agree with it, but it's not my call and you know the specific situation far better than I do.

#15 ·

I got this response...

import win32event
What file did you download from he Python for Windows extensions Sourceforge site. I'm asking as you originally asked where you should should extract pywin32 to. The installer (executable) should automatically find your Python install folder from the registry and prompt you to install to that location by default which you should accept.

Scott

#16 ·
What file did you download from he Python for Windows extensions Sourceforge site. I'm asking as you originally asked where you should should extract pywin32 to. The installer (executable) should automatically find your Python install folder from the registry and prompt you to install to that location by default which you should accept.

Scott
python-2.7.3.msi (python.org description 'Python 2.7.3 Windows Installer')

For pywin32 I used Build 217, pywin32-217.zip.

It appeared that consensus was to go with 32 bit. I'm running Windows 7. Do I need to re-install using the 64 bit options?

Thanks.

#17 ·

I got this response...

import win32event
Which is what happens if you don't have pywin32 installed. (Just made that mistake the other day after rebuilding my PC)

Found the correct version of pywin32, did a right-click; 'runas administrator' on the installer exectuable and accepted the defaults.

Then I was able to correctly install pytivo as a service from the command line.

#18 ·
python-2.7.3.msi (python.org description 'Python 2.7.3 Windows Installer')

For pywin32 I used Build 217, pywin32-217.zip.

It appeared that consensus was to go with 32 bit. I'm running Windows 7. Do I need to re-install using the 64 bit options?

Thanks.
You didn't download the pywin32 executable installer. Per the pyTivo Windows install instructions:

* Select the version that matches your installed Python version. Ex: If you installed Python 2.7 32bit then download pywin32.win32-py2.7.exe

Go back to here - http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/pywin32/Build%20217/

And download - pywin32-217.win32-py2.7.exe.

Run that and accept the defaults and then you should be able to run the pyTivo service install command line.

Scott

#19 ·
You didn't download the pywin32 executable installer. Per the pyTivo Windows install instructions:

* Select the version that matches your installed Python version. Ex: If you installed Python 2.7 32bit then download pywin32.win32-py2.7.exe

Go back to here - http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/files/pywin32/Build%20217/

And download - pywin32-217.win32-py2.7.exe.

Run that and accept the defaults and then you should be able to run the pyTivo service install command line.

Scott
Thanks Scott. I got the service running Unfortunately, when I run pytivo as a service the contents of my three folders (video shares) disappear. I can see the three folders on all 4 tivos but the folders appear empty. When I remove the pytivo service and run it at the command line the content of my folders is visible.

I found one thread concerning this problem but the suggested solution regarding permissions didn't work for me.

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/trouble-running-as-a-service-windows-7-t1820-15.html

Has anyone solved the empty folder problem?

#20 ·
Thanks Scott. I got the service running Unfortunately, when I run pytivo as a service the contents of my three folders (video shares) disappear. I can see the three folders on all 4 tivos but the folders appear empty. When I remove the pytivo service and run it at the command line the content of my folders is visible.

I found one thread concerning this problem but the suggested solution regarding permissions didn't work for me.

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/trouble-running-as-a-service-windows-7-t1820-15.html

Has anyone solved the empty folder problem?
I tried entering my router's ip address in the 'beacon:' Global Server Settings and then I tried entering one of my tivo's ip address in the 'beacon:' box. Neither switch solved the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.