TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Need an image? Don't PM me. :)

663K views 4K replies 1K participants last post by  Larsenv 
#1 ·
If you need to reimage a TiVo for hard drive repair or storage upgrade:

Turn-key solutions are available from a sponsor of this forum, DVRUpgrade

If you want to go the do-it-yourself route, here is your best bet: drop by #tivo on EFnet. Check the topic for instructions, or just ask for what you are looking for. Be patient. If someone has it, they'll respond, eventually.

Please also use this thread to post requests for any images I can't point you to.

The old thread can be read here.

#527 ·
I was kind of curious about this myself. I have a TCD240 that appears to have the same software version as my TCD649. You are saying that I can't use the 40GB TCD240 image to make a drive for my 80GB TCD649 unit (not that I need or want to). I can only assume that the difference is in how the partitions are set up and not in the actual operating system. Inquiring minds want to know. As a side note, did you ever get DD-WRT firmware running in your old WRT54G router?
If you go into system information on each TiVo, provided it's connected to the mothership recently enough to have what I suspect is the final version of the S2 software installed, you'll see that the left hand numbers are the same, but the final 3 are model specific (although apparently the TCD240xxx uses the same version as the TCD140xxx).

I suspect the different versions of the various releases of S2 software are mostly identical except for what has to be tailored for the different motherboards. For example, a TCD540040 and a TCD540080 use exactly the same motherboard, the only difference being the hard drive size when it leaves the factory, but it's a motherboard different from the 140/240 models and both of those are different from the 649s.

I'm not sure what you mean by "...the difference is in how the partitions are set up ..."

As far as I know all of the Series 2s use the same partition layout where one of the MFS media partitions is physically right after the Apple Partition Map (which is partition 1) even though it retains the Series 1 numbering convention, where partitions 2, 3, and 4 are one root, boot, kernel set, and 5, 6, and 7 are the alternate set, 8 is swap and 9 is var, and 10-11 are the first MFS pair. It's just that on an S1, partition 2 physically comes right after partition 1 at the front of the drive and on an S2 or newer it's physically farther in with an MFS partition bwtween it and partition 1. That change is why you run "restore" with the -p option on S2 and newer models and do not use that option with a Series 1 drive.

As for the router question, what little I have in the way of an organized schedule got rearranged for me by Irene (no real damage, just lots of aggravation), so I haven't gotten to it yet.

#530 ·
Need an image? DVRUPGRADE has them. Used to be $20 but now they practically have a monopoly, they increased the price by 100%. And they are trying to solidify that monopoly by whatever means available. Eliminate the competition and then charge whatever you can. Images should be free from Tivo or DTV. Where are they going to be used except on their equipment that are otherwise useless when you lose a hard drive?

#534 ·
Sort of. I downloaded them, put them on my HP Media smart server, got home the next day and the server had died. Luckily I think I still have them on my laptop.
If you downloaded them you may have extended their lifespan on the SendSpace server, so perhaps you can try those links again if necessary.

#542 ·
I am attempting to upgrade my Phillips PTV-300.. I installed two new Seagate 120Gig IDE Drives, and it starts fine, but then just "hangs-up/Locks-up". The video freezes and the Remote Control fails to do anything. This unit originally had a 60Gig upgrade from TiVo, but I just can't seem to get it to transfer correctly to the two new HD's. I used WinMFS and the older MFS version 3?.

Does anyone have an idea? I have an old InstantCake {2002} for my Sony SVR-2000 - will that work. Do I need/can some one send me an image just for the PTV-300? Or is shelling out another $40 for another InstantCake my only option?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide

#543 ·
I am attempting to upgrade my Phillips PTV-300.. I installed two new Seagate 120Gig IDE Drives, and it starts fine, but then just "hangs-up/Locks-up". The video freezes and the Remote Control fails to do anything. This unit originally had a 60Gig upgrade from TiVo, but I just can't seem to get it to transfer correctly to the two new HD's. I used WinMFS and the older MFS version 3?.

Does anyone have an idea? I have an old InstantCake {2002} for my Sony SVR-2000 - will that work. Do I need/can some one send me an image just for the PTV-300? Or is shelling out another $40 for another InstantCake my only option?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide
Give up and use those two drives in a computer instead.

Series 1s are picky about which drives they'll work with.

Apparently they don't like Western Digital Caviar Blues, even SATA ones with the Marvell chipset SATA/IDE adapters that are otherwise the only ones that work in a Series 1.

And apparently they don't like matched pairs of Seagates, either.

I tried the same thing with 2 of the same model 160GB Seagate drives (IDE/PATA). And yes, I ran copykern so that I could use drives larger than 137GB.

Wouldn't work.

I could use either one of the Seagates by itself, it worked fine.

I could use either one of the Seagates as either the master or slave and a different brand drive as the other drive and it worked fine.

Together, there was something about them together that the ultra-picky Series 1s just don't like.

You can get a 1TB drive for $50 now, and the necessary SATA/IDE adapter for under $30, maybe well under if you look hard enough.

Go read the adapter thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=416883

Go here

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/downloads/BOOTCD/ptvlba48-4.04.iso.zip

to get the image for a cd you can burn and use to run copykern.

If that link doesn't work anymore, go here

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores/1/lba48_4.04_license.cfm

Don't use it for backing up and restoring images, just for copykern.

First you restore the image to the new drive with some other software, then you boot with that cd, then you mount that cd

mount -t iso9660 /dev/"whatever hdx or sdx you booted the PTV cd in" /cdrom

(I guess that's so the OS that loaded off of the cd can find something on the cd, like maybe copykern itself, or some part of it.)

Then you type copykern and follow the instructions.

Then you boot with the MFS Live v1.4 cd and run mfsadd to use the full drive.

For backing up and restoring, go to mfslive.org and download the image for the MFS Live v1.4 cd, and use it instead of any older MFS handling software.

WinMFS only works with backup images made with WinMFS, and nothing else works with those images, but MFS Live will work with backup images made by earlier versions and by MFS Tools.

When you use the

restore

command on the MFS Live cd, just use the -s option to set the swap partition size, and instead of

-xzpi

just use -i

Do not use -p on a Series 1. It puts a Series 2 and later partition layout on the hard drive that confuses an S1.

-x will be handled later by mfsadd

If I recall correctly from experiments I tried a while back, using the Sony image in the Philips (or maybe it was the other way around) would work to begin with, but it only responded to the remote it expected, so either I had to use the Sony remote with the Philips TiVo or the Philips remote with the Sony TiVo.

Others here and elsewhere have said that using the "other" brand's S1 image will eventually cause it to bork itself when it gets info or updates from the mothership and becomes hopelessly confused and schizo.

#551 ·
Anyone? My old drive is completely dead - I can't get anything off it... I have a new drive, just need an image. Really missing my TiVo. Image would be GREATLY appreciated.
Just to be clear, I'm looking for an image I can restore using WinMFS. Other people have managed to get hold of this image on this board in the last few weeks, so it's out there somewhere...

Thanks in advance.