TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Now I am very angry -politics ruined my thread

7K views 81 replies 33 participants last post by  sieglinde 
#1 ·
I was trying to discuss a reality show with a potential Presidential contender as its main focus and my title screamed NO POLITICS. It went OK when folks were saying they wouldn't vote for Palin, that is fair. I won't be voting for her. Big deal, I won't be voting for a lot of people in the 2012 election.

But why do people who knowing the rules of this forum wreck the thread? On the whole the show was being discussed not policies of people who were not on the show or even mentioned on the show. Palin and her family and the one or two other people on the show were classy enough to mention no politician or political party by name. The few political things they said were concepts and references to slogans.

Here is an odd review of the show that I found humerous and ironic because of its source.

#52 ·
I appreciate the difficult work the moderators are doing. Unfortunately, by shutting down an entire thread, the rule breakers get rewarded. Ideally, if it can be nipped in the bud early enough, the offending posts can be deleted and the offenders warned without closing the thread.

Politics is everywhere. If we wanted to, we could find a reason to launch into a political discussion about almost any show. However, that's not why most of us are here.

#53 ·
sieglinde said:
A question - I thought Palin said that the first place they visited, the fishing hole with the bears was not a nature preserve or a partk. This to me meant, they were going into an uncontrolled wild place and could be in actual danger. It also meant that if it was bear hunting season, they could have brought rifles instead of fishing poles. Did I hear wrong? The second place was national park.
Even if it were a preserve or park, they could be in actual danger. Last summer a cyclist was mauled by a bear while riding through an anchorage city park.

As for hunting, the rules in alaska are pretty strict regarding where one can legally hunt (or fish for that matter), and it is unlikely that bear hunting is allowed in that area.

#55 ·
I made some points in the other thread, and I was trying to come to OP's defense, but the main response to my posts were "you CAN'T leave politics out of it...it's SARAH PALIN!!!" (summary)

Well, you can.

Or at a minimum, we can all restrict our comments to very specifically what was in the show content. No posting tabloid links to rumors about children, or other things that were not strictly in the show. It's just polite to respect the OP's wishes unless they ask you something way unreasonable.

When I tried to point out in another thread that the tabloid links mentioned above were getting reposted in every Palin thread, regardless of topic/show/thread title, etc. etc., I was told that my post was wasted space.

But I have to go with the other opinion that some people just can't help it.

Even by trying to defend the OP, I know I was probably just adding fuel to the fire, and I apologize to her for that. But at some point the thread just got taken over by comments that had little or nothing to do with the show.

#56 ·
I made some points in the other thread, and I was trying to come to OP's defense, but the main response to my posts were "you CAN'T leave politics out of it...it's SARAH PALIN!!!" (summary)

Well, you can.

Or at a minimum, we can all restrict our comments to very specifically what was in the show content. No posting tabloid links to rumors about children, or other things that were not strictly in the show. It's just polite to respect the OP's wishes unless they ask you something way unreasonable.
Yeah. If a show can leave politics out of it, then so can we. Just because someone is a political figure doesn't mean one has to discuss politics when talking about something that person is doing. And if politics is all one knows about the political figure, then perhaps not posting anything is the best solution so that others who do have something non-political to discuss can do so in peace.

#57 ·
Yeah. If a show can leave politics out of it, then so can we. Just because someone is a political figure doesn't mean one has to discuss politics when talking about something that person is doing. And if politics is all one knows about the political figure, then perhaps not posting anything is the best solution so that others who do have something non-political to discuss can do so in peace.
I did watch the show. And I just wanted to point out that, BitbyBlit, you are wrong when you insinuate that the show leaves politics out of it. Mrs. Palin injects politics in the show. Her wanting to tell liberals how she had her baby shower at the shooting range because they get wee-weed up.

I do think that people should be able to discuss the show without attacks. However, to say that the show leaves politics out of it is dishonest.

#62 ·
The ratings for a show about Alaska would be a fraction of what the ratings are if politics wasn't a factor.

A thread on a show about Alaska would scroll off the first few pages of the forum if politics isn't a factor.

I think you're very naive if you think you can have a discussion that wouldn't be going on without political considerations but exclude politics.

#64 ·
LOL! I suspect we could complain that she is bring politics into the show and that is a legit complaint. What got the thread pulled, IMHO, is the back and forth bashing of Palin, then Obama, who has not even been mentioned on the program unless he has been in the second episode.

#66 ·
LOL! I suspect we could complain that she is bring politics into the show and that is a legit complaint. What got the thread pulled, IMHO, is the back and forth bashing of Palin, then Obama, who has not even been mentioned on the program unless he has been in the second episode.
I think he was born in Alaska, but they didn't start issuing birth certificates until 1975. So that explains a lot.

#67 ·
Not only have I never seen it, but I'm not even sure what it means? "wee weed up?" What is that? Is it supposed to be a nicer way of saying "pissed off?" But if so, why the "up?"
When President Obama used the expression the White House Press Secretary explained it thus
The Swamp
Posted August 21, 2009 11:55 AM
by Mark Silva

So what did the president mean when he said this week that everyone's getting all "wee-weed up'' in Washington?

"It's a phrase I use,'' White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said today, hesitating at his press briefing to offer a physical demonstration of the phraseology.

"Let's do this in a way that's family friendly,'' Gibbs said. "I think 'wee-weed up' is when people get all nervous for no particular reason....

"August of 2008, everybody was nervous about whether the entire presidential campaign was slipping out from the hands of the president,'' Gibbs said, turning the page to this August, in which all the president's critics are declaring his health-care initiatives in peril. "This is sort of an August pundit pattern of people getting overly nervous about something that has a long way to go...

"Bedwetting would probably be the more consumer-friendly term for it,'' the press secretary said >
http://www.swamppolitics.com/news/politics/blog/2009/08/weeweed_up_white_house_explain.html

#68 ·
When President Obama used the expression the White House Press Secretary explained it thus
Also, Sarah Palin used it to explain how she likes to tell "liberals" that her baby shower was at the shooting range and that usually gets them (the liberals) all wee-weed up. Episode 2.

#69 ·
Palin haters/bashers are a compulsive lot who can't stand to see anything written or discussed about her without getting in their hits.

People who compulsively bash politicians are like Harley Davidson riders with loud pipes. They have gone on for so long thinking that it makes them sound cool, that they just don't notice everyone looking at them like they're an ass hat. All they need is one person telling them "Cool bike" or "You're so right about that person" and they suddenly feel validated and can go on for another 150 people giving them "the look" with total disregard.

Disclaimer: The words and thoughts expressed here were purely for reference. retrodog industries did not call anyone an actual ******, but merely pointed out certain individuals lack of capacity to notice others looking at them like they were. Resemblance to any characters, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

#71 ·
I did watch the show. And I just wanted to point out that, BitbyBlit, you are wrong when you insinuate that the show leaves politics out of it. Mrs. Palin injects politics in the show. Her wanting to tell liberals how she had her baby shower at the shooting range because they get wee-weed up.
Oh, well then I guess I gave the show too much credit.

But perhaps a more nuanced version of my original point would be that if the show can have interesting non-political content, then people should be able to have an interesting non-political discussion.

And if politics is the only thing that makes the show interesting, then perhaps a thread about the show should just be allowed to die.

In any case, however, people for whom the show is not interesting without politics shouldn't unilaterally decide that the thread needs politics, and ruin the discussion for everyone else.

#72 ·
I haven't seen the second episode yet but why would anyone in their right mind have a baby shower at a shooting range? The ones in my area are mostly outdoors and the indoor ones are in gun shops. Wouldn't you rather have a shower at somebody's house?

#74 ·
I haven't seen the second episode yet but why would anyone in their right mind have a baby shower at a shooting range? The ones in my area are mostly outdoors and the indoor ones are in gun shops. Wouldn't you rather have a shower at somebody's house?
I don't know...it seems like an odd place. She's a maverick though.

#75 ·
Can't answer that without getting political, as she did in her comment about it. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.