TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

No HD UI with Premiere ?

31K views 139 replies 44 participants last post by  Syzygy 
#1 ·
I bought 2 Premiers from Best Buy today and both units received the update to 14.1-01-3-746 but both are missing the HD UI and there isn't an option anywhere to turn it on. Is anyone else running into this issue ? Thanks.

#33 ·
gothaggis, is the UI any faster than what they showed in the Gizmodo/Engadget reveiws?
no - it's the same as in the reviews. it really doesn't make any sense why it is slow.....coming from a programming background (and have had experience with flash) - it looks like they refresh the menu text on every new menu load...just doesn't make very much sense to me.

of course, in my personal opinion, they should have used c++ instead of flash, much less overhead.

#36 ·
Problem found, resolution going in place. The conservative side of me says you should check back later tonight, but the optimistic side of me says you might be fine in about an hour.

It was a small number of units that hadn't been put into the appropriate grouping on the service to receive the new HDUI. Once this is corrected you should see choosing HDUI as an option after making a service connection (it may take two connections, depending on what else the box is doing). You'll know you're good to go if you see a 'Choose TiVo Menus' item under the Displays screen within Settings.

Thanks to everyone for forwarding your information so quickly!

Pony

#37 ·
Problem found, resolution going in place. The conservative side of me says you should check back later tonight, but the optimistic side of me says you might be fine in about an hour.

It was a small number of units that hadn't been put into the appropriate grouping on the service to receive the new HD UI. Once this is corrected you should see HDUI as an option after making a service connection (it may take two connections, depending on what else the box is doing). You'll know you're good to go if you see a 'Choose TiVo Menus' item under the Displays screen within Settings.

Thanks to everyone for forwarding your information so quickly!

Pony
Already fixed! Thank you!

#45 ·
no - it's the same as in the reviews. it really doesn't make any sense why it is slow.....coming from a programming background (and have had experience with flash) - it looks like they refresh the menu text on every new menu load...just doesn't make very much sense to me.

of course, in my personal opinion, they should have used c++ instead of flash, much less overhead.
It is kinda funny since lately all the tech news for the last month has been about working around flash, and improving things with HTML5 since the iPad won't support it. When TiVo announced the whole UI was flash based I thought I was back in 1996.

#46 ·
It is kinda funny since lately all the tech news for the last month has been about working around flash, and improving things with HTML5 since the iPad won't support it. When TiVo announced the whole UI was flash based I thought I was back in 1996.
I think the consensus is Flash has become too widespread as a proprietary multimedia delivery method inside web browsers, and since the code is black-box maintained by Adobe the community can't improve on it, or bug fix it when issues arrive. Apple states the Flash engine for Mac is buggy and the primary cause for browser crashes -- and that Adobe is slow to correct the problem... which is the main reason for the Jobs push-away from Flash to the new HTML5 option.

Flash on the TiVo box is running native, not as a embedded browser module, and is inherently more stable. In TiVo's case, where they are building essentially a multimedia viewer, it makes sense over supporting a codebase of propriety C objects (which they admit was difficult to support over time).

We'll see how they do with incremental updates in the months to come. Updates to the previous TiVo models were rare. It would be great if this new TiVo was faster with updates, especially in finishing out the UI, adding performance improvements, and enabling that second core.

#47 ·
It would be great if this new TiVo was faster with updates, especially in finishing out the UI, adding performance improvements, and enabling that second core.
Am I the only one that thinks it is unlikely they will ever enable the second core? Granted, I am not privy to any technical knowledge relating to the matter, but my gut just tells me that it will never happen.

#48 ·
Am I the only one that thinks it is unlikely they will ever enable the second core? Granted, I am not privy to any technical knowledge relating to the matter, but my gut just tells me that it will never happen.
Has it been confirmed by TiVo that the second core is not being used? I would think it unlikely that they'd knowingly not write the software to take advantage of it. If so, why choose that processor? To start from scratch (re)writing software to take advantage of it at some later time? :confused:

#49 ·
Am I the only one that thinks it is unlikely they will ever enable the second core?
Unfortunately, that article discussing the use of the CPU cores sounds way off base. It is almost impossible to think that both cores aren't being used at the operating system level. I think the article may be referring to the use of the UI layer to take advantage of both cores more effectively. Right now they are most likely relying on the OS to make all those decisions.

#50 ·
I am confident that both cores will be used eventually (I think rainwater has it right; it sounds like the UI isn't multithreaded, probably the OS can make use of both cores, but that's just a guess).

I remember back when the S3 came out, and there were lots of people who were sure we would never see TiVoToGo and MRV working, the eSATA port enabled ... and while it took a while, now we all take those things for granted. I'm sure most everyone has forgotten all of the moaning and wailing back from when the S3 first came out!

#51 ·
I'll bet both cores are being used by the kernel (OS), and that it is simply that threading in the UI application is not yet enabled. I wonder if this contributes to the very good transfer speeds since one core is generally idle and able to handle transfers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.