TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

House OAD 10/19/09

3K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  gastrof 
#1 ·
Damn you MLB!!!!!

#3 ·
I think the only interesting things from last night were:
House turned into Heroes - somebody came to life in the middle of their own autopsy;
apparently Chase is a Catholic;
and, Wilson talks to Amber at night when he's in bed (speaking of whom, based on the Latin on Amber's MD diploma, she got her MD from Washington University, but it's not clear if it was the University of Washington or Washington University in St. Louis).
Oh, and note that House will not be on (or if it is on, it will be a repeat) for the next two weeks; Nigel Lythgoe talked Fox into airing a So You Think You Can Dance? "Top 20 Preview" (after too many people complained that the audition shows didn't show all of them dancing) next Monday, and then there's a World Series game (or, if the series is over by then, a repeat of "Painless") on 11/2.

Then again, keep an eye on the listings; I wouldn't be surprised if Fox decides to re-air Monday's two shows because a number of people missed part or all of them. This is nothing compared to what happened a few years ago; Fox had a new episodes - and a Christmas episode at that - of King of the Hill scheduled for 7:30 on a Sunday, but that day's NFL coverage ran until about 7:50, so Fox, in its infinite wisdom, aired the opening credits of KOTH, then a commercial, then the last five minutes of the episode (the entire episode aired in the west, since the football coverage ended long before KOTH's normal airing time), and only after they received a considerable number of complaints did they reair the episode eight days later.

-- Don

#11 ·
I padded Lie to Me by an hour when it was obvious that the game was running late.

I liked the episode. It seems like back to original House, without 13 and the gang. Chase's guilt made it obvious he was Catholic. Nothing trumps guilt like a Catholic upbringing.

I loved the open with the parkour *(sp?) running and the cop attempting a long jump and missing it. I have always thought how awesome it would be if in one of hose cop shows, the bada guy jumps and then the cop comes right behind and misses it.

#15 ·
When I saw the :down: I assumed that meant this was a bad episode. Jeez, it only means some of you on the East coast got screwed by Fox. I think that is an inappropriate use of the :down: in front of the episode-specific thread.

I just watched the whole episode and thought it was entertaining. Sort of a Halloween episode - House hears voices, the dead rise, etc.

#16 ·
Fox needs to find a better way to cover sports and their original programming. On Sunday the football game ran late and they joined Brothers in progress 22 minutes in to a 30 minute show. Didn't they used to have a post game show? Brothers will not last long if this happens regularly.

#19 ·
I just happened to check out ESPN.com and saw the game was still going on a few minutes before house. I was able to pad my recording enough. I am glad I did because it was another solid episode. This season of house is so much better than the last few. I just hope that 13 and taub don't come back. I do wish we would get to see more of house and Wilson since they live together. House/Wilson and House/Cuddy interactions are usually my favorite parts of the show.

#20 ·
I won't disagree because I don't watch Brothers. I'm just sayin'.

Fox isn't the only one that does this. CBS does this every Sunday with Three Rivers, sadly.
As far as I can tell they don't join TR in progess. I don't watch so I don't know for sure but can anyone else confirm that CBS is airing the full episodes?

#21 ·
I guess those in the west coast got it good - I caught it at its regular time.

Though, (non-spoilered since well, it's in the previews), when House goes and asks for a differential on resurrection, I was half expecting someone to say "Cylon!"

(There have been other BSG references...)

#22 ·
As far as I can tell they don't join TR in progess. I don't watch so I don't know for sure but can anyone else confirm that CBS is airing the full episodes?
In my experience, CBS has always aired full episodes after a long running game.

#26 ·
They seem to air either all or nothing. If the game runs enough over, ~50 minutes, it seems they'll drop the last show of the evening (Cold Case).

But I can only think of a handful of times that's happened.
It used to happen a lot when CBS aired a lot of golf - sudden-death playoffs tended to push the lineup back (because there's a long delay while the players walk back to the first hole that has TV cameras present - since the event wasn't over, the PGA's "no golf carts during play" rule was still in effect). At one time, the rule was, if it was 30 minutes or more delay, an hour-long show would be pre-empted. (This caused problems out west, as what usually happened was, the 8:00 Sunday show was pre-empted, and the 9:00 show was moved back to start at 8.)

Actually, one time, when it got to 7 Eastern, CBS decided to cut away from the golf tournament in the east - and got so many complaint letters (shades of the Heidi Bowl) that they made it public that they would never do it again for any live sport.

Fox needs to find a better way to cover sports and their original programming. On Sunday the football game ran late and they joined Brothers in progress 22 minutes in to a 30 minute show. Didn't they used to have a post game show? Brothers will not last long if this happens regularly.
Actually, in this case, very few cities in the east had a 4:05 football game on Fox (which is why there was no post-game show, as it wasn't a "national" broadcast). When this happens, some cities will air news features to fill the remaining time and then air the pre-empted episode at a different time and/or day.

Also, that Brothers episode was a repeat; new episodes air on Friday nights.

WARNING: Rambling about TV schedules ahead - those of you not interested in non-House details can skip to the next post
This has been a problem at Fox for years with its 7-8 Sunday timeslot. Up until somewhere around 2000 (I think), all "late" games started at 4:00 Eastern, which meant that most of them ended between 7:00 and 7:15. However, on Fox's NFL doubleheader days, most of the 1:00 games would still be in progress when the 4:00 games started, so Fox (and CBS) asked the NFL to move the 4:00 start times to 4:15 when the game was on the network that could air two games that day. This caused the late games to end usually between 7:15 and 7:30, so Fox would pad its postgame show if necessary until 7:30. When it got to the point where so many games ran past 7:30 (ever hear the story of the King of the Hill Thanksgiving episode that was shelved for an entire year because an NFL game ran until 8:00 and Fox (a) didn't want to delay The Simpsons or The X-Files past their regular start times and (b) didn't want to air a Thanksgiving episode three days after Thaksgiving?), Fox decided not to schedule any programs at 7:30 on doubleheader Sundays and just expand its postgame show until 8:00. (Out west, when the games end by 5:00 Pacific, Fox airs repeats in the 7-8 hour.)

However, this applies only when it is a Fox doubleheader day. When it is a CBS doubleheader day, like last Sunday, each Fox station airs just one game, and most eastern stations will air a 1:00 game, so there will be no conflict with that night's schedule. Fox sends out one feed of its primetime programming to the Eastern and Central time zones, so the stations with the 4:00 (actually, 4:05) games have to work it out for themselves. While some will air news featiures or other local programming until 7:30, and then air the 7:00 show at another time, most just join Fox's programming in progress - "after all, they're only repeats" (and this is one of the reasons Fox doesn't air new episodes before 8:00 on Sundays during football season).

-- Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.