TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Brighthouse Central Florida - Tuning Adapter Coming Soon!

88K views 456 replies 81 participants last post by  joelkfla 
#1 ·
Hi guys. This is related to thread http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=383361, but I thought it deserved a new thread.

Those of you in the Orlando area likely remember the problems we went through to get our HD channels added back to cable cards.

With the certification of the tuning adapter, and the impending SDV implementation, I pinged the same resource I was working with previously, and asked when we will know more about the adapter, and beta testing, etc...

Here's the response I received this morning:

Mr. Okeemike,
We will support the new adapter and expect to receive one for lab testing within the next three weeks. I don’t have a date for when they will be available in our market for customers, but I will be back in touch as soon as we receive further updates. I have also let our team know that you would be willing to be a beta tester, though plans for customer testing will not be made until the lab testing is successfully completed.

Regards,
BHN
Looks like we ought to know more in perhaps a month or so...once they receive the device in house.

#227 ·
Press the power button on the front of the TA?
The same thing net114 is describing happened to me on Sunday, except I lost all channels. Nothing was coming through the TA. Pushing the power button on the front (green led goes out) seems to put it in bypass mode. I could then get non-SDV channels. I power cycled the TA and got everything back for a short time but then lost it again. I ended up leaving it planning to call BH Monday morning. When I checked again Monday morning everything was back working fine :confused:

#228 ·
Power button doesn't do anything. There's no LED light on for me to see if its "on" or "off", but the channels are working right now, so I'm going to cancel the service call for now. I don't want to wait for them to re-install and download firmware and blah blah....so I'll wait and see how it does today.

#229 ·
I am trying to find out the pricing for the Tuning Adapter (TA) and cable cards and wanted to check here to see what Brighthouse in CFL does for you or to you. I made one veiled attempt to get pricing from a CS with brighthouse and she just totally confused me and she didnt know difference between the TA and the cable cards.

Please bear with me and advise at your earliest convenience if you know:

1. With the TA do I need also the cable cards? Sounds like I do but want to confirm before I call back Brighthouse
2. How much would I pay for truck roll (I guess they make you pay for that) and the purchase price for the TA and the cable cards?
3. What is the monthly charge for TA and cable cards?
4. Would I have to pay an additional charge for digital service for the TA/cablecards in addition to the digital service I already pay? Or do you just pay for the cable cards?
5. What can I expect to get in terms of channels that I do or do not get with my Scientific Atantic HD8300 (oh crap (OCAP) its rebooting again).
6. Is there ON Demand capability with the TA and TivoHD?

I wouldnt have to do any of this if Tivo would implement QAM mapping like they do in HDHomeRun tuner. With that you can point a cable channel to a QAM channel. Pretty slick...but this is another topic in another

Thanks for your help!

#230 ·
I am trying to find out the pricing for the Tuning Adapter (TA) and cable cards and wanted to check here to see what Brighthouse in CFL does for you or to you. I made one veiled attempt to get pricing from a CS with brighthouse and she just totally confused me and she didnt know difference between the TA and the cable cards.

Please bear with me and advise at your earliest convenience if you know:

1. With the TA do I need also the cable cards? Sounds like I do but want to confirm before I call back Brighthouse
2. How much would I pay for truck roll (I guess they make you pay for that) and the purchase price for the TA and the cable cards?
3. What is the monthly charge for TA and cable cards?
4. Would I have to pay an additional charge for digital service for the TA/cablecards in addition to the digital service I already pay? Or do you just pay for the cable cards?
5. What can I expect to get in terms of channels that I do or do not get with my Scientific Atantic HD8300 (oh crap (OCAP) its rebooting again).
6. Is there ON Demand capability with the TA and TivoHD?

I wouldnt have to do any of this if Tivo would implement QAM mapping like they do in HDHomeRun tuner. With that you can point a cable channel to a QAM channel. Pretty slick...but this is another topic in another

Thanks for your help!
1. Short answer: Yes, both TA and CableCard(s) are needed. The TA will only request an SDV channel. CableCard(s) are still required to decrypt the signal.

2. I've never been charged for a truck roll. The CableCards and TA are property of BrightHouse. You rent them.

3. Monthly pricing can be found here: http://cfl.mybrighthouse.com/products_and_pricing/prices/default.aspx. What remains to be seen is what will be charged for the (still unlisted) TA. At this time, it's free for a year, with customer service stating after which, the price goes to $3.80/month. From me a few posts back:
I find this contrary to what Tivo says here: http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport...ibilityhelp/Switched_Video_Cable_Details.html, specifically "Call your cable provider to get a FREE Tuning Adapter."
Technically, I did get a free tuning adapter, but as soon as I start paying a monthly fee, it doesn't seem to be free anymore.

4. The service rate stays the same; the only additional costs are for the hardware rental.

5. You will not be able to use any of the OnDemand/PPV channels; all other channels should be equal once the TA is installed.

6. You will not be able to use any of the OnDemand/PPV channels; all other channels should be equal once the TA is installed.

#231 ·
BH is scheduled to come out on Thursday to replace the TA. I'll have them look at the signal strength while they are out. I'll keep you posted.

By the way, it's still blinking.
I tried posting an answer last week but the internet connection went down during the post and it never made it.

BH did show up on Thursday but the tech that arrived did not have a new TA as promised and was not one of the three TA knowledgable techs. His words, not mine. Anyway, he was able to get the TA working after a power down of the TA and a hit from the office. He checked the signal level and said it was at -4 which was way above the -10 that means trouble. I'm still getting around a 76 on this TiVo and 95 on the other. I may mess around with the cable when I get some time.

#232 ·
I tried posting an answer last week but the internet connection went down during the post and it never made it.

BH did show up on Thursday but the tech that arrived did not have a new TA as promised and was not one of the three TA knowledgable techs. His words, not mine. Anyway, he was able to get the TA working after a power down of the TA and a hit from the office. He checked the signal level and said it was at -4 which was way above the -10 that means trouble. I'm still getting around a 76 on this TiVo and 95 on the other. I may mess around with the cable when I get some time.
I would replace the RF cable between TA and the TiVo. The local BH office should be able to give you a short length of good cable.

#235 ·
I've been having reboot issues with my TA's since they were installed. When I called tech support they wanted me to reboot them, but seeing that rebooting is my issue, I talked them into sending someone out to take a look.

I started to keep track two weeks a go and have noticed the following:

1. They appear to reboot every five days.
2. They appear to reboot on the 8's .. My 'living room' TA rebooted on 3/14/2009 at 8:48 and then on 3/19/2009 at 9:48 The other TA rebooted on 3/17/2009 at 8:28 and then on 3/22/2009 at 12:58.

The 'living room' TA did reboot early this weekend on 7/21 at 7:26 PM. This was most likely a self-inflicted reboot as I had the Tivo disconnected to upgrade the internal harddrive.

Anyone else notice a pattern in their TA reboots?

#237 ·
I would replace the RF cable between TA and the TiVo. The local BH office should be able to give you a short length of good cable.
Why even have a cable (other than the USB) between the TA and Tivo at all? Just to have yet another junction between the source and destination? Because I needed a splitter anyway to provide signal to my BHN STB for onDemand programming, I used an outlet on the splitter to feed the TA and an outlet on the splitter to feed Tivo. No problems tuning SDV channels at all.

#238 ·
Why even have a cable (other than the USB) between the TA and Tivo at all? Just to have yet another junction between the source and destination? Because I needed a splitter anyway to provide signal to my BHN STB for onDemand programming, I used an outlet on the splitter to feed the TA and an outlet on the splitter to feed Tivo. No problems tuning SDV channels at all.
That works fine too... However, you lose 3.5db of signal thru the splitter while the TA has an internal amp which you arent taking advantage of. But if it isnt broke... no need to fix it. If your signal levels are low... then the passthru with the amp may be an advantage.

I have two cable feeds behind my setup. I also arent using the TA passthru and have the TA and the TiVo hooked to their own individual feeeds from the distribution amp.

#239 ·
I've been having reboot issues with my TA's since they were installed. When I called tech support they wanted me to reboot them, but seeing that rebooting is my issue, I talked them into sending someone out to take a look.

I started to keep track two weeks a go and have noticed the following:

1. They appear to reboot every five days.
2. They appear to reboot on the 8's .. My 'living room' TA rebooted on 3/14/2009 at 8:48 and then on 3/19/2009 at 9:48 The other TA rebooted on 3/17/2009 at 8:28 and then on 3/22/2009 at 12:58.

The 'living room' TA did reboot early this weekend on 7/21 at 7:26 PM. This was most likely a self-inflicted reboot as I had the Tivo disconnected to upgrade the internal harddrive.

Anyone else notice a pattern in their TA reboots?
The TA Rebooting issue is a well known bug in the .0701 firmware. .0801 fixes it. Mine rebooted every 2 days regular as clockwork (TWC though).

#241 ·
That works fine too... However, you lose 3.5db of signal thru the splitter while the TA has an internal amp which you arent taking advantage of. But if it isnt broke... no need to fix it. If your signal levels are low... then the passthru with the amp may be an advantage.

I have two cable feeds behind my setup. I also arent using the TA passthru and have the TA and the TiVo hooked to their own individual feeeds from the distribution amp.
I guess I should clarify: I have a multimedia drop amplifier from pct: http://www.pctinternational.com/_products/northamer/amplifiers/dropamps.html

#247 ·
Yes .. I have .701. I thought I saw someone's name at Brighthouse who 'controlled' the firmware. I'll have to poke around.

Thanks
Well . I had two techs here today. The first had never seen a TA. He checked my signal strength, which was okay, and called for someone more knowledgeable with the TA's to come over. A few hours later the 2nd tech arrived with two new TA's. Same firmware as the old ones. He called around asking about a firmware upgrade but no one at Brighthouse knew anything. So I guess I'll wait for these to start rebooting before I call to complain!

#250 ·
BH has to 'push' it to you... when they feel like it... :)
Looks like tomorrow is the day. Email I received last night:

On April 2, 2009, Bright House Networks will be performing a network software upgrade that may affect the TV connected to your TiVo DVR and Tuning Adapter. When you turn your TV on for the first time after the upgrade, you may see a screen that says, "Tuning Adapter Connected." This message simply indicates that a Tuning Adapter is connected to your DVR.

There is no need to test your Tuning Adapter. Just use your Remote to select "Continue" and your DVR will operate normally.

You may test the Tuning Adapter later by selecting "Tuning Adapter Menu" from the Settings Menu. Please be aware that any active recordings will be canceled during the test.

#251 ·
We'll see what this resolves. Since both of my TAs were installed, I've had nothing but problems. Missing channels, TA rebooting, ALL channels go missing....you name it.

As far as I'm concerned, this thing is a giant piece of garbage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.