TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Tivo Suggestions - HD Channels Only?

10K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ciper 
#1 ·
Hello,
I like having the TiVo Suggestions enabled, however on my TiVo HD I have noticed that it seems to default to the non-HD channel meaning it records on channel 18 instead of 18-1. Is there any way to make it record on the 'better' channel?

Thanks

#4 ·
No. TiVo decided it was better to record Suggestions from the SD channels. There's no way to change that, aside from removing SD versions of channels from the lineup.

Keep in mind that the base TivoHD model only has 20-25 HD hours capacity, so not many suggestions would fit on the DVR if HD was used as the default.

#6 ·
I know this is counter to the conventional wisdom, but my new TiVo HD has been recording suggestions from HD channels as often as not. I have both the HD and SD versions checked (for now). At the moment, out of 10 suggestions in my NPL, 6 are from HD versions of stations that I also receive in SD, 2 are from SD-only channels and 2 are from SD channels that I also receive in HD. It's not as simple as "lower channel number" or "record suggestions from SD."

#8 ·
What's wrong with just removing all the SD channels from your channel list?
Because there are still VASTLY more SD shows then HD. Why waste the space recording a 1080i video at 8GB an hour when I can record the exact same show in SD and its less than 1/8th the size?

That's what I did. In a couple of weeks, the government is going to do that for you anyway.
1. What if they are getting a DIGITAL SD along with the HD channel? Nothing will change in a few weeks.

2. There is a good chance most of us use Cable (or cable + OTA). They will not be effected by the digital transition.

#10 ·
Because some networks (e.g. TNT, TBS, The Food Network), stretch any SD content they show on their HD feed.
You know what's fu(ked? Food HD doesn't merely stretch the video (which could be fixed on the display) they actually enable that "fisheye" variable zoom stretching!

It's extremely annoying when someone reaches for a spoon and they turn into freaking Stretch Armstrong!

#11 ·
You know what's fu(ked? Food HD doesn't merely stretch the video (which could be fixed on the display) they actually enable that "fisheye" variable zoom stretching!

It's extremely annoying when someone reaches for a spoon and they turn into freaking Stretch Armstrong!
I'll have to look for that sounds great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.