TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Upgraded drive in my D*Tivo - won't record now.

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  seismo 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I had the continual reboot problem with my Hughes DirecTV/Tivo unit.
I went out, bought a new drive, followed the directions at here and used mfs tools to copy the data over to the new drive and everything seemed to work great, but now I can't record. Whenever I hit the record button a message pops up and says "An internal error occurred while adding this program (or season pass) to the to do list."
Blah, blah, blah, message #86.

I have a feeling it's because I didn't copy over existing recordings and I'm wondering if there's even a filesystem for Tivo to record it's shows...I'm guessing that's the problem but would be interested in any input you guys may have.

#3 ·
I don't know what hard drive you were putting in, and I'm not saying you did anything wrong. However, there are different mfstools versions. If you buy too large a hard drive, you are supposed to run a version of mfstools that supports large volume drives. The instructions you referred to said you were limited to using 137gb on a drive.

I'm assuming the drive is booting up with no other problems other than you said. You said you thought it was because you did not copy your recordings. That does not matter. You do not need to do that.

I can tell you though, every little thing in the instructions is critical. You make one simple typo, and things will not work right. I can't vouch for your instructions, I have never used the ones on that page, but I would recommend you try again, and double check everything you type in. Take your time, because one wrong letter, or one left out letter is all it takes to mess things up. If you have same problem second time, you may have a bad hard drive, or if not that, you probably have bad instructions.

#6 ·
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'll retry the process again. I think I still have the old 80gb hard drive around. I had replaced it with a 250gb (only because it was on sale at Fry's for fifty bucks and it's getting harder to find HD's smaller than that.

#7 ·
Okay, I re-followed the process at http://www.tyger.org/MFS/2.0/howto.html.
Everything works great now. On my first attempt I think I must've called myself finished after testing it at step 9.
I started from the beginning, went to the end, and after many, many hours (probably about 15 hours) the restore from my 80gb Tivo drive to a shiny new 250gb drive is complete. I now have the capability of recording over 200 hours.

Not bad for fifty bucks and a little time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.