TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Problems recording movies to DVD from R10 Unit

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Marrelli 
#1 ·
A couple months ago I asked a question here about the best way to record to DVDs from the R10 units. I was told just to hook any external DVD burner up the the receiver (via S-Video or a/v cables), play the movie & record it.

So I purchased a Sony VRD-MC3. Seems to have no problems recording sporting events, but when trying to record movies I get a copyright protection error - not able to record message. But yet the receiver/dvr allows you to record the movies to VCR tapes - don't get it.

Anyone seen this & is there a way around it? Or do I need to purchase another external DVD burner? Specifically which one should I purchase that doesn't have this issue?

Any advise helps...

Thanks,
Jim

#2 ·
Some programming is encoded to only allow one digital recording. Your DVR recording, of course, is the first one. A DVD would be a second and is not allowed.

I haven't run into this problem yet, but I don't subscribe to premium channels and don't buy that many pay-per-views. I imagine that that is the programming being encoded.

A VHS recording, of course, is not digital, and, so, would not be blocked.

This is all a fairly recent development.

From what I understand, this applies to any DVD burner, so I don't think trying a different one would do any good.

#4 ·
dtremain said:
Some programming is encoded to only allow one digital recording. Your DVR recording, of course, is the first one. A DVD would be a second and is not allowed.

I haven't run into this problem yet, but I don't subscribe to premium channels and don't buy that many pay-per-views. I imagine that that is the programming being encoded.

From what I understand, this applies to any DVD burner, so I don't think trying a different one would do any good.
The main thing here is finding a dvd recorder which will not have the copyright problem. I know there are a number of ones out there that are no problem. Panasonics in my opinion are one if not the best dvd recorders out there. Sony's have had this issue pretty much from the beginning. And is it really a surprise? Not being that I have seen plenty of movies that start out with the Sony logos.

#5 ·
dtremain said:

I do have premium channels. For my DVD Recorder, it says that the "Record Once" copyright will not allow the recording to be recorded on a DVD-R disc nor DVD-RW disc. But will allow it to be recorded onto a DVD-RAM disc. And my new DVD recorder allows those programs to be recorded to a DVD-RW disc but not still not DVD-R disc. And when I try it to a DVD-R, it fails but works on the other. So, the DVR recording wouldn't be considered the first. Check your manual to see which disc types allow the recording the "Record Once" copyright protection.

I get the protection message on HBO/MAX, Starz/Encore channels but not Showtime/The Movie Channel.

#7 ·
I have the same problem as the original poster (OP) except that I have 2 DVDRs - one Philips and one Panasonic (Panny DMR-EH55S). Both have hard drives on them.

I have DTV and copy movies or sports games onto the DVDR's HDs, then burn them so I can have a permanent copy and create some room on my DTVs.

My Panny DVDR can record anything without any problem. No copy protection checking.

My Philips will not let me copy *certain* movies. I say *certain* because I noticed that the movies I recorded on my Tivo recently, like withing the last year, are copy protected (eg "Pathfinder", "Little Miss Sunshine").

I've also had some movies I recorded 2 years ago and these can be recorded onto a DVD disk without any problems by the Philips DVDR. When did DirecTV or Tivo start enforcing digital copy protection? Anyone know?

#8 ·
I have the same problem as the original poster (OP) except that I have 2 DVDRs - one Philips and one Panasonic (Panny DMR-EH55S). Both have hard drives on them.

I have DTV and copy movies or sports games onto the DVDR's HDs, then burn them so I can have a permanent copy and create some room on my DTVs.

My Panny DVDR can record anything without any problem. No copy protection checking.

My Philips will not let me copy *certain* movies. I say *certain* because I noticed that the movies I recorded on my Tivo recently, like withing the last year, are copy protected (eg "Pathfinder", "Little Miss Sunshine").

I've also had some movies I recorded 2 years ago and these can be recorded onto a DVD disk without any problems by the Philips DVDR. When did DirecTV or Tivo start enforcing digital copy protection? Anyone know?
Some DVD Recorders are too restrictive and trigger "no copy" when they shouldn't. Check out the "DVD Recorder Forum" at http://www.avsforum.com for more information. At this point I'm not aware of anything that Tivo or DirecTV are doing to prohibit burning DVDs from recorded shows.

#9 ·
Some DVD Recorders are too restrictive and trigger "no copy" when they shouldn't. Check out the "DVD Recorder Forum" at http://www.avsforum.com for more information. At this point I'm not aware of anything that Tivo or DirecTV are doing to prohibit burning DVDs from recorded shows.
I suspect it started after the 6.4 firmware upgrade. I was able to burn the movie "Next" onto a DVD. This is a recent movie (aired a few months ago). I recorded Next onto my Philips DVDR and had no problems.

Then I tried with other movies after the 6.4 upgrade. No luck.

At least my Panny DVDR doesn't enforce copy protection....

I will follow up on the 6.4 upgrade on the other thread....

#10 ·
HBO, Cinemax, Starz & Encore have been puting the Copy-Once protection on their shows for years. For my DVD recorder, I burn those on DVD-RW DVD which allow the Copy Once protection. Showtime and TMC so far has not put copy protection on their shows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.