TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Question about HD FSN

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  shap 
#1 ·
I am trying to determine if I can receive HD FSN (Bay Area) on my HD TIVO DVR...I called DTV Customer Support, and the rep said "you will get it on channel 96 or 97" but I don't see this as on option.

Do I need the new DTV receiver (H20) or can I get it with my existing equipment? I don't think the rep really knows.

#3 ·
Yep, RSNs in HD are in MPEG4. Most have been around since end of last summer.

You need an H20 or HR20 to get them along with the 5 LNB dish. The HD DirecTivo (HR10) cannot see channels on the new sats nor can it decode MPEG4. You can however still use the HD Tivo if you get an MPEG4 receiver, it just can't be used on the new HD channels.

#5 ·
ezwinner701 said:
even if you get a local game on chan 95,96,97. it still will be blocked out. Like the game a few weeks ago at home vs the denver nuggets. This rule SUCKS!
What does this mean? If I add the Sports Pack, I get Tigers games on Fox Sports Detroit even though my "home" RSN is Fox Sports Ohio. This is how I got Tigers games the past two years, when I moved to Toledo OH. When I add the Sports Pack this season, would I get Fox Sports Detroit HD on 96/97?

I'll get the HR20-700, if that's what it takes, but I don't want to get it and still not get the games for some reason.

I called DirecTV and the CSR said the same thing as they told the OP (that HR10-250 would work). Now from this thread I know I'll need the HR20-700, but is there a chance I'll still be shutout for some reason?

#6 ·
that's what happened to me. I had the MLB extra innings last year and NEVER saw a LOCAL HD game on the RSN channels.

bralph said:
What does this mean? If I add the Sports Pack, I get Tigers games on Fox Sports Detroit even though my "home" RSN is Fox Sports Ohio. This is how I got Tigers games the past two years, when I moved to Toledo OH. When I add the Sports Pack this season, would I get Fox Sports Detroit HD on 96/97?

I'll get the HR20-700, if that's what it takes, but I don't want to get it and still not get the games for some reason.

I called DirecTV and the CSR said the same thing as they told the OP (that HR10-250 would work). Now from this thread I know I'll need the HR20-700, but is there a chance I'll still be shutout for some reason?

#7 ·
You can only see your 'local' team -- whatever team(s) you get on your local Fox Sports Net -- on that channel, when it is regional (meaning anything other than Fox, ESPN, TBS or WGN). That is a Major League Baseball rule, not DirecTV. ... And the sports pack will not help you see ANY games which aren't aired locally. You must subscribe to MLB Extra Innings.

#8 ·
Cmmsh said:
You can only see your 'local' team -- whatever team(s) you get on your local Fox Sports Net -- on that channel, when it is regional (meaning anything other than Fox, ESPN, TBS or WGN). That is a Major League Baseball rule, not DirecTV. ... And the sports pack will not help you see ANY games which aren't aired locally. You must subscribe to MLB Extra Innings.
The Sports Pack does give me Tigers games on FSN Detroit. I've done it two years in a row. I'm sure it's related to Toledo's proximity to Detroit, but without Sports Pack I only get FSN Ohio (no MLB) and FSN Cincinnati (Reds). Add Sports Pack, and I continue to get Reds and also get Tigers. Like I said, I know this is true because I've done it the past two years.

My question is will I also get FSN Detroit HD on 96/97 once I add Sports Pack? Would I get Cincy on one (96) and Detroit on another (97)? If I were to only get one, my guess it would be Cincy since it's technically my "home" RSN.

Since I'd need to get the new dish and DVR, I'd rather know up front that it will/won't get me FSN Detroit HD, because if not I won't bother. Problem is the CSRs are idiots and give information I know is wrong.

#9 ·
Anyone know the answer to this related question?

Assuming you have a HR-20 (or whatever the HD DVR is that DTV now sells), and you get the SportsPack - do you get ALL of the RSNs in HD? And, then say you buy the baseball package, would you get most all of the MLB games in HD?

Basically, can you get the out of market RSNs in HD?

#11 ·
mdh333 said:
Anyone know the answer to this related question?

Assuming you have a HR-20 (or whatever the HD DVR is that DTV now sells), and you get the SportsPack - do you get ALL of the RSNs in HD? And, then say you buy the baseball package, would you get most all of the MLB games in HD?

Basically, can you get the out of market RSNs in HD?
You would have to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings and Superfan to get out of market games in HD. Even then they are only broadcasting 10 games a week but they should be Mpeg-2 at least this season.

#14 ·
Well, thought I would provide a quick update...

I called and asked for retention and was directed to someone who was very knowledgable. I do have to migrate to the Direct TV HD DVR but will move my TIVO DVR into another room.

In terms of cost, I was able to get the new receiver for $99 less a $10/month credit for 6 months (effectlvely making the migration cost almost free)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.