TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Home Theater systems compatible with S3

4K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  zand94 
#1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good but not ultra-expensive home theater system/kit that works well with the S3. It should preferably have a HDMI connection with passthru to the TV.

Or does anyone know of ones that do not work with the S3 so I can avoid them?

#4 ·
Well I'm curious about ones that work well with the S3 or more importantly ones to avoid. I've read a few threads where people had issues with the S3 and certain digital audio receivers. Theoretically the S3 should work with any receiver that supports digital audio out or HDMI, but in real life things never work that well.

And I would consider $50K obscenely expensive. I'm actually not looking to spend more than a few hundred dollars (preferably less).

#5 ·
I just did a lot of research on these receivers.

For a few hundred dollars you just might be able to get HDMI pass-through (but not 1080p passthrough at this price). These certainly won't switch analog signals onto the HDMI. The next step up (between $500 and $800) you start to get HDMI switching of all of the analog inputs out onto the HDMI connection. On the higher end ($800 and up) you start to see up-conversion that will do some image algorithms to enhance lower res (ie 480i, 480p, etc) up to 1080i as well as pass-through of 1080p.

I'm trying to use switching of all analog and digital and route out my HDMI port to the TV. I had a lot of trouble debugging problems but eventually solved them (I had a cable run that was too long).

I was in the $1k range so my solution might not be what you are looking for.

#6 ·
No HDMI, but I'm very happy with the $420 Onkyo HT-S790 and it has good reviews at Crutchfield and Amazon. I found it at $400, but never in stock at that price. Three optical & 1 coaxial digital audio in, several component video in. No DVD player and no video switching (component in <=> component out; s-video in <=> s-video out).

Video switching may be a feature to look for -- if you want, for example, to connect an S2 with S-video and an S3 with component to the receiver, but still run only one video cable up to the TV. I don't run video through the receiver at all, only audio, so it doesn't affect me.

Thanks to TiVoJerry and Crispy Critter for the link to the procedure to get the S3's remote to control the Onkyo's power button.

#7 ·
We use switching in our house because we have XBox, DVD, TiVo, VCR etc. and I like to use the surround sound receiver. Remembering which input selection combinations to use for which device doesn't go over well with the wife. With the switching amp, they turn the dial on the amp to the device they want and its that simple. It's not for everyone at this price point though.

#8 ·
i'd recommend a yamaha rx-v2600 receiver; it is around $800.

fry's has run specials on the polk r50 free-standing speakers for $120/pair about once per month for the last three months (add about $40 for shipping) -- those are speakers that normally retail for $640 per pair.

#9 ·
morac said:
And I would consider $50K obscenely expensive. I'm actually not looking to spend more than a few hundred dollars (preferably less).
I like it!

$50K and up - Obscenely expensive
$25K to $50K - Ultra expensive
$10K to $25K - Very expensive
$5K t0 $10K - Expensive

Ok, more than a few hundred buck and for what it's worth, I've got the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXS and I'm very happy with the sound quality and switching capability. Also, I use the 84 to scale all input to 720P and let the Series three passthrough native resolution. That seems to work best for me.

I was dissapointed that the zoom and stretch modes were limited and not support with HDMI inputs.

As for receivers working with Tivo, I've seen more people talk about issues with specific TVs not working with a Receiver / switch inbetween it and the source than problems with a specific source being the problem.

For the price you are looking at, you may want to consider a separate HDMI switch.

Al

#10 ·
I am using a Denon 2307ci and have no problems with S3 or HD DVD or my Panny DVD/HD/VHS recorder all on HDMI inputs. (Monoprice switch too) The Denon AVR857 is the same model basically.

morac, for a few hundred dollars you aren't going to get much. And HDMI will most likely not be on the receiver or work well if it is.

#11 ·
The least expensive AV receiver I've come accross with full HDMI support is the Sony STR-DG1000. It lists for $800 and has 2 HDMI inputs, one output. The Denon receivers are more expensive, but they're nicer. The higher end ones have 3 HDMI inputs. The less expensive ones with HDMI are just switchers and can't grab audio off the HDMI port. Kind of defeats the purpose of an AV receiver.

#12 ·
acvthree said:
Ok, more than a few hundred buck and for what it's worth, I've got the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXS and I'm very happy with the sound quality and switching capability. Also, I use the 84 to scale all input to 720P and let the Series three passthrough native resolution. That seems to work best for me.
I went with the same unit. I like that it has 4 HDMI inputs. I'm happy with it.

Jim H.

#14 ·
If I was starting from scratch I might pick the Onkyo HT-S907. It seems like a good starter system with pretty much everything you need. One drawback it outputs up to 1080i which is fine for the S3 but if you plan on going the PS3 route, you may want to invest in a stand alone receiver that does the job.

#15 ·
bilbo said:
i'd recommend a yamaha rx-v2600 receiver; it is around $800.
That's the one I'd upgrade to if I wanted to the HDMI switching. I've got an older Yamaha currently, and it works great (but no HDMI).

#16 ·
I'd encourage you to consider the Onkyo TX-SR804 as it has 2 HDMI inputs, 1080P, THX certified, 2 Zone capability, digital upconversion, etc.... It can be had for around $670 (including shipping) online and it has really worked out well for me. Good luck with your search!

#17 ·
TiivoDog said:
I'd encourage you to consider the Onkyo TX-SR804 as it has 2 HDMI inputs, 1080P, THX certified, 2 Zone capability, digital upconversion, etc.... It can be had for around $670 (including shipping) online and it has really worked out well for me. Good luck with your search!
I'd like to find something with On Screen Display as well.

#19 ·
The Onkyo SR804 does have an On Screen Display for Mapping digital inputs, auto speaker configuration with provided test microphone, manual adjustment to speaker settings, etc..... If you are interested, I would suggest visiting the Onkyo site for more details and to download the manual for review

#21 ·
I am looking to buy a sound system to go with a Tivo-3 and Sony XBR TV in a room which is about 17 by 12. It seems to me that attaching the sound system to the optical audio output of the TV will be the simplest solution, and would not require the less technically inclined members of my family to even use the sound system. I am thinking about the Onkyo 790 or 990 HTIB. Does anyone see a reason to go with a different configuration or individual components?

#22 ·
jimkorein said:
It seems to me that attaching the sound system to the optical audio output of the TV will be the simplest solution
The Sony will only output sound on the optical output if the internal TV tuner is used. If you pass HDMI into the TV, the sound won't be output. I've personally run into this, but didn't realize that was the problem until I saw a posting here.

#23 ·
Yea, that's the thing about a good AV receiver, you know for sure it will give you single point control with advanced audio. That's the main reason I want one. Right now, I'm using my TV to switch inputs, but the TV only outputs sound over 2 channel stereo and that's what my audio receiver is hooked up to. Fortunately, my TV can still do that when running off the HDMI input.

#24 ·
Wow, thanks for the tip on the Sony digital out. It still seems like going with a full blown HD video switching receiver is kind of a large hammer if all I want is to add the option of hi quality sound to my existing configuration. Craig, do you run surround sound of your receiver hooked to your TV analog outputs? Are you happy with the result?

#25 ·
I'm just running two floor speakers. I don't feel adding more speakers is worth the trouble without any 5.1 inputs. I have wire routing and placement issues. I'll need to wall mount the rear speakers and run wires down through the floorboards. I'm going to wait on that until I can get a good AV receiver that can reproduce advanced sound sources.

I need to avoid the necessity of controlling audio and video separately. With an "audio only" receiver, you can pick up 5.1 sound off the Tivo via optical and then send video to the TV over component or HDMI, but then you have to switch the audio input as well as the TV input. I could handle that, but my wife would be calling me all the time because she forgets and can't get the TV to work. I've been through that before.

I haven't looked into any "home theater in a box" systems. I don't know that any of them fully support HDMI and if I'm going to spend any money at all upgrading my AV sound system, I want that. Besides, I already have pretty high quality speakers and a nice upconverting DVD player. I only need a receiver. Home theater in a box systems usually include that stuff and for the price of a good one, you could buy a high quality HDMI AV receiver and a decent set of speakers.

#26 ·
I have a Sony Elite Reciever THX certified (cant remeber the model number, but it does digital switching, optical and digital coax inputs, etc). Only thing it does not have is the HDMI since it was built before the rise of HDMI. I have 7.1 surround, not that much has 7.1, but i have it.

I have all the video from DVD, X-box, nintendo, VCR, TiVo series 3, tivo series 2, run to the TV, and all the audio run thru the receiver. This set up works fine. The only exception is that on local programs on Fox, the audio and video are slightly out of synch on the digital side (analog is ok). This may clear up if i sprung for areciever that accepted HDMI. I think a lot of the synch problems are related to audio and video not running thru the same component.

Whatever A/V device you end up with, make sure it automatically switches analog to digital. It saves a lot of headaches.

IMO, spend the money on the highest end reciever you can afford. Buy better speakers later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.