TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

The Rookie - Season 3 *Spoilers*

12K views 112 replies 41 participants last post by  mattack 
#1 ·
It's back! I've missed this show.

Last season had its ups and downs for me, but I really enjoyed this episode. Maybe the lack of shows during COVID has helped me enjoy this more.

This one picked up right where last season left off. Nolan tearing out the walls to find the evidence hidden by Armstrong, and the police outside wanting to come in.

Loved that he asked for a warrant, and then called Wes for counsel.

I also loved how Armstrong was setup at the junkyard with the empty gun. Got what was coming to him.

And now Lopez is pregnant, and has been promoted to detective.

And I guess keeping Nolan as a street cop will keep the series going without fear of him being promoted in the near future.

#37 ·
I wonder if they rewrote the season after last spring. The cliffhanger story line got resolved mighty quick in the first episode and then they went with the racist bad apple arc. I can't believe it was coincidence.

Which to me means it's not what the writers were intending the show to be, but felt an obligation. Problem is this type of story line just isn't their wheelhouse.

#38 ·
I wonder if they rewrote the season after last spring. The cliffhanger story line got resolved mighty quick in the first episode and then they went with the racist bad apple arc. I can't believe it was coincidence.

Which to me means it's not what the writers were intending the show to be, but felt an obligation. Problem is this type of story line just isn't their wheelhouse.
Same thing happened after first season.

#54 ·
I'm thinking some of this was filmed last year, and then they added the realty TV confessional interviews later. Or at least, I hope it was Corona that made them do this, because otherwise there's no excuse, lol. I did not like that format at all, and the crime-solving was more than a little obvious too. But what the hay the pickings are slim this season, so we just settled back and enjoyed what we could.

#55 ·
I didn't have a major problem with the format they used for the episode. Yes it's definitely a trope or something that all shows of this genre seem to do at some point, but for this show specifically they hadn't done it yet and they went for the change of pace. It's good to have those every now and then, even for shows that are built on using a tried and true formula and even if the results weren't great or at best uneven.

#68 ·
Since losing my TiVo, I haven't been able to watch this show, but I finally got around to binging my way through this season.

Regarding, the most recent episode: yes, it was really, really bad. For me, the biggest issue is that they attempted to depict it as a true crime documentary, but never fully committed to the conceit. There was too much of the unique "The Rookie" style that bled into the episode. Someone upthread mentioned "X Cops," the episode of "The X Files" that was presented as an episode of "Cops," and what worked there is they fully committed to the conceit - it was an episode of Cops that just happened to bump into these FBI agents named Mulder and Scully.

With this episode, there were so many moments that would have simply been edited out of an actual true crime documentary/podcast/whatever. Because that felt false, everything else felt "wrong" as a result.

That leads to the supposed clip from the sitcom. I challenge anyone to come up with what joke that could possibly be the punchline for, one that could believably be considered funny. IMO, can't be done. Again, it's one of those things that just take you right out of the story.

#73 ·
We recognized her immediately, all growed up, awww.

(Did not recognize her as Howard the Duck's date in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, lol.)

#76 ·
I recognized Claudia Christian immediately... but then I've been watching Babylon 5 while doing workouts recently :)
I thought that was her! I've been watching B5 for the first time the past few weeks.
Oh God, I just realized I confused her character with the recurring character she plays on 9-1-1! I was actually confused about why the fire captain was being questioned. :p

#88 ·
Sure, they would cancel this good show but keep something stupid like The masked singer! [emoji35]
Has nothing to do with, if show is good or not. Two key factors on renewal is the cost to produce it and ratings. Simple as that. Higher ups don't care if the show is great or not they care about the ratings and production cost. That's why all these versions of Bachelor, any reality, dancing and singing shows last forever its cheap.

#90 ·
The reality TV stays, even though it is typically lower rated, because it is cheap to produce. I wonder if part of the reason network TV ratings are so awful because these shows have lower ratings which makes it harder to attract viewers to their new shows. And those lower rated shows add to the problem since they don't have the ability to draw many people to the other shows and it keeps feeding on itself. I think this may be a case where they save so much money they end up going out of business. It does happen to a lot of companies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.