TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 3 *SPOILERS*

15K views 86 replies 30 participants last post by  wprager 
#1 ·
Just binged all the way through Season 3 of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel." Eight episodes this season.

They went over the top a few times. No, more than a few times. But I still enjoyed it all.

No spoilers in this OP, but but I added the warning so that follow-up posts have the option.

BTW, there's a brief scene where New York's 1010 WINS radio station can be heard playing music. That may come as a surprise to most people because it has been an all-news station for more than half a century. But it was a Top 40 music station until 1965, and the show's third season is set in 1960. So there's that.

#7 ·
I watched the season this weekend. There were parts I loved (Midge, Susie, the usual cast of characters) and parts I hated (way too much music and dancing throughout). I feel like content and time wise that there were only 5-6 episodes of story with the other 2-3 episodes being music and dancing filler. What there was of story though, I really enjoyed, just wish there had been more story and less filler. YMMV.

Rose's visit to her family was entertaining. Providence wasn't the Providence I was expecting her to visit! The family jokes about Abe and the stairs got old fast, which I'm sure is how Rose felt so we got to share her pain.

Joel's secretary made a great bouncer.

#17 ·
I don't think Midge realized what she was doing to Shy Baldwin in her performance at the Apollo.
I have to wonder if Shy fired her or if it was all Reggie.
One of the things that makes Midge so funny is she has no filter when she's performing. As soon as she went down that path I figured there would be repercussions. I think if it was Reggie doing the firing that Reggie would have said so. And if Shy hadn't wanted her fired then she wouldn't have been fired. So I think it was Shy.
My guess is that Shy got upset and "fired" her, in the same way that he fires the band every other night. Reggie was the one who made it stick.

#9 ·
One of the things that makes Midge so funny is she has no filter when she's performing. As soon as she went down that path I figured there would be repercussions. I think if it was Reggie doing the firing that Reggie would have said so. And if Shy hadn't wanted her fired then she wouldn't have been fired. So I think it was Shy.

#13 ·
I just finished the binge tonight. I enjoyed a lot of it but I could done without the Sophie Lennon story. The singing and dancing did not bother me as the production quality is so good on this show.

#14 ·
I guess my main complaint is looking back over the seasons, I feel like we got less of her actually doing the stand up and more of the singing and dancing. I definitely could have done without the Sophie storyline only because it was such a build up with Susie trying to juggle managing both of them, that it seemed to take up space that could have been filled with other characters. I would have also liked more with Benjamin and Midge. I liked their dynamic even if not as a couple.

Don't get me wrong, these are minor complaints. Even the singing/dancing didn't bother me THAT much. I still love the show and wish there was more than 8 episodes, especially since we'll have another year to wait for a new season.

#18 ·
On balance I liked this season a lot more than Season 2. Two was weird with the trip to France and the Catskills went on too long.

What I loved:
  • It's a visual joy to look at; so beautifully styled and artfully filmed (e.g. the overhead shots)
  • Part of that style is the incredible fashions
  • Whoever cast Shy Baldwin did an amazing job; it's like they found a time machine. What a voice
  • I like how they developed the Joel character; it was great that Midge gave him a shoutout at his club. I like his relationship with May and I like her character.
  • Even the gambling, which initially irked me, had the payoff of Susie telling Joel "because you love her" and a quick resolution with burning the house down.
  • I like the history, as stylized as it may be. I was born in 1958, so it was fun to see some of the issues (e.g. Shy pointing out that they can't stay at the same hotel as Midge)
I could happily live without the in-laws situation (and they were in financial trouble, pulling money out of hiding places, but it turns out they live in a mansion in Queens) and I always hated the Sophie Lenin character. The penultimate episode with the radio voice-overs was pretty bad, and it was a very weird lack of transition. The Abe story arc is also bizarre.

I hope it comes back for another season. I could see Midge hitting reset with NY performances at Joel's club.

#22 ·
I love this show.

I loved all the song and dance stuff. They got really elaborate this season and I kept thinking what a great job they did with all the details. The success of the show clearly led to more production money!

Obviously, I love the fashion - so spectacular and on-point.

And Lenny Bruce - holy-moly hotness alert. Sexiest character by a MILE. Yowzer!!!

#23 ·
I've only watched the first episode so far, but I'll probably binge on it over the holidays along with a few other shows. I took a chance and watched it with my wife who tends to get easily offended by anything anti-religious or liberal. I could see she was actually enjoying the show and then they had the sequence with Lenny Bruce. You can imagine how well that went over. She won't be watching it with me again. Personally, I love this show. I love the quick, snappy dialogue between characters. It's kind of like an Aaron Sorkin type of show in that regard.

#34 ·
Finished it last night, and loved it. The writers had fun with the characters. The historical references were a ball. We saw more hilarious standup and more lavish stage productions due to more popularity and more budget. I just wish there were more episodes in the season.

Minor nit to pick, given how hard they worked to generate a realistic — if artfully fantastic — portrayal of the era: all the Chinese heard in Chinatown would have been Cantonese and Seiyap. Hearing Mandarin drove me nuts. Even today you're more likely to hear Mandarin in Flushing than in Chinatown.

Nice to have the Lenny Bruce character pop up again, for more historical perspective. Being based on a real person, of course he and Midge couldn't get involved. His last words to her, "before I die?", were particularly poignant given that Lenny Bruce died of a morphine overdose in 1966 at age 40.

Spoiler for Shy fans: I noticed in the credits that his singing is dubbed by Broadway vocalist Darius de Haas. And yes, I do believe Shy would have fired Midge. Like Lenny Bruce, when she's on a roll onstage she's not entirely in control, and she crossed the line into his secret life more than once that night. This is supposed to be the early 1960s, when his career could have been completely derailed by coming out.

Not knowing the series had been renewed, I had decided I could live with the open-ended ending being the last we ever saw of Midge and co. It was well done. The Casablanca-style airport scene was a bit over the top, but that was fun too, and what about this series hasn't been fun and over the top? I am betting — and I don't have a gambling problem — that they can maintain the same level of excellence next season.

Reactions: mooseAndSquirrel
#37 ·
We just finished watching it last night. Loved this season. Our favorite episode was the one where Shy had to do his "Stool Set". It was emotional.

Nice to have the Lenny Bruce character pop up again, for more historical perspective. Being based on a real person, of course he and Midge couldn't get involved. His last words to her, "before I die?", were particularly poignant given that Lenny Bruce died of a morphine overdose in 1966 at age 40.
I was thinking the same thing. Sad that he only has 6 years left.

I never realized how tall Zachary Levi was, he looked so much smaller in Chuck.

I loved how Susie handled Sophie Lennon.

Sad to hear Brian Tarantina died recently if a drug overdose. R.I.P Jackie.
Brian Tarantina died from effects of multiple drugs, medical examiner says - CNN

#43 ·
I never realized how tall Zachary Levi was, he looked so much smaller in Chuck.
I know. It's like he never took off the padded suit he wore in Shazaam

I loved how Susie handled Sophie Lennon.
Susie is starting to remind me a little bit of Arnie on the Larry Sanders Show, but with a lot less confidence. She's one of the best characters on the show.

They lost the apartment because it belonged to the university, not because they were broke.
Don't think they wanted to admit they are in financial trouble just yet.
They were indeed broke because Abe left his job at the university and Rose cut herself off from her family. They had no source of income after that.

#38 ·
I just finished the binge tonight. I enjoyed a lot of it but I could done without the Sophie Lennon story. The singing and dancing did not bother me as the production quality is so good on this show.
I agree. I think the Sophie Lennon story was kind of a waste, and really pretty pointless. But we enjoyed it, but not as much as the other seasons. It just kind of meandered a bit. I liked Joel's story the best I think.

#39 ·
Which is typical of the Palladinos who produce and write the episodes.

All of their shows feature snappy dialogue mixed with pop-culture references.

Very Sorkinesque in pacing and style.
Said the same thing to my wife, very much like Sorkin in style, with a lot of quick snappy dialogue and circular conversations, often repeated later in the episode or series.

#40 ·
I'm not. And tye dye and bell bottoms was the late 60s. This was 1960.

I was a middle class kid in NYC, and women all wore dresses and hats and heels when they went out. Perhaps not as glamorous or expensive, but that was the style of the day.
We talked about the fashions. The women's obsessions with hats. The fact that a man wore a suit when he went out, and often a hat. If I recall men's hats went out of fashion with Kennedy. Not sure when women's hats went out of fashion. I couldn't imagine a woman dragging along a taxi's worth of hat boxes like Midge did at the end. That's crazy.

The one thing that kind of annoyed me is that after her parents lost their apartment, they went to the inlaws with their housekeeper/maid (not sure what you want to call her) in tow. I'd have thought she would have been the first to go? How could they afford her? And then they take off on spontaneous trips on a train to who knows where, and to Miami. But whatever, I just go with it, it's only TV.

#42 ·
I guess my main complaint is looking back over the seasons, I feel like we got less of her actually doing the stand up and more of the singing and dancing. I definitely could have done without the Sophie storyline only because it was such a build up with Susie trying to juggle managing both of them, that it seemed to take up space that could have been filled with other characters. I would have also liked more with Benjamin and Midge. I liked their dynamic even if not as a couple.

Don't get me wrong, these are minor complaints. Even the singing/dancing didn't bother me THAT much. I still love the show and wish there was more than 8 episodes, especially since we'll have another year to wait for a new season.
Most of her stand up is not very funny anyway.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.