TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

The Walking Dead - 11/17/19 - S10E7 "Open Your Eyes"

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Tony_T 
#1 ·
I was a little confused at this one.

They suggested it is the water supply that is making everyone sick. When Siddiq realized this, why did he just tell Rosita to go back to her room? Why wouldn't he say "Don't drink the water!".

It seemed the water was tainted by the Whisperers, but was Dante doing something to the water system? Like bypassing water filters or something?

And why did Dante have to kill Siddiq? I don't understand how anything could be traced back to him.

#2 ·
It seemed the water was tainted by the Whisperers, but was Dante doing something to the water system? Like bypassing water filters or something?
Based on the signage, it appears that they had potable water for drinking, and non-potable water that they used for other things. Dante apparently sabotaged the valve at some point so they had all been inadvertently drinking the bad water.

#6 ·
What's confusing me is that a couple episodes ago, Aaron witnessed Gamma contaminating the stream with walker guts. Yet, now it is Dante sabotaging the water supply locally, not Gamma sabotaging the source. Or is it supposed to be a two-stage sabotage, somehow?

And why the hell didn't Aaron alert anybody? So confusing.

#3 · (Edited)
I just read an article in Entertainment Weekly (online, not the magazine) where the showrunner explains the twist in this episode. Siddiq sees in his visions that Dante is actually an agent of the Whisperers. This is why Siddiq tries to kill him. I did not get this while watching the episode. Maybe will have to check it out again.

OK, I watched the ending again. Dante makes a clicking noise with his tongue. This causes Siddiq to remember that the whisperer holding him down made the same noise. He realizes Dante is really a whisperer. To help emphasize that, he briefly sees Dante in his whisperer mask in the window reflection. Odd that I never made that connection the first time.

#4 ·
So what I makes no sense, at all, is that Dante randomly just starts making that clicking noise out of nowhere, after spending months undercover and not raising a single suspicion. I thought the whole thing was so weird. But what else is weird is that I assumed Dante was part of the community in the background since at least before the Whispers showed up - it kind of makes absolutely no sense that the Whisper war started and then all of a sudden this rando shows up at Alexandria and is immediately trusted with probably the most important job of all. The show has gone out of it's way to play up how big a role paranoia plays in this story line, which makes the whole thing more baffling. I kind of feel like this is another "twist for the sake of a twist" as opposed to a fully thought out, clever development.

I actually appreciated how much time they spent on displaying Siddiq's PTSD - I'm a "wannabe" writer and one of the things i always wish shows did more is show the rammifications of big events over time... Often it's discussed for the next couple of episodes, and then there's never a mentioned of it's impact again. What he witnessed was awful, and changed everything about who he was - they didn't skimp out there. But the whole spy thing...ugh.

I'm likely out after the mid-season finale. I've never watched a show for 10 years and stopped before it was over but at the end of the day, I don't connect to a single character or story thread at this point. And I think I'd stick with it but frankly Alpha is by far the absolute worse cast/acted/written villian in the show's history. I can't feel any of the stakes that I'm supposed to feel because she's just awful. Everyone says she's menacing, but she comes off as a joke... and for that reason, I'm out (hahaha been watching shark tank lately). Negan and The Governor were better crafted and WAY better acted. Alpha and Beta are just not scary. It's sad too because I like the idea of the storyline. Oh well.

I guess I'll tune back in when I hear the big Carol/Alpha showdown finally happened. The only thing I'm looking forward to before I bail is the inevitable moment Carol beats her to death with her bare hands.

#9 ·
I thought it was strange that Lydia had no idea Dante was a Whisper. I guess it is possible. Just seems like she would have been a Whisper at the same time as him.

Thought it was sloppy that Siddiq didn't let someone know that Dante was a Whisper. He has been sick for weeks and weak. He had the opportunity to at least let Rosita know.

#14 ·
Did anyone else have this episode (S10E07) get recorded as Episode 8 on their tivos? It's listed as "S10 E8 Open Your Eyes". My TiVo also didn't record the finale, "The World Before", because it wasn't tagged "New" by the guide.
If I go to "All Episodes", it lists S10 E8 "Open Your Eyes" (New), S10 E7 "Open Your Eyes", S10E8 "The World Before". Is it worth contacting TiVo support, or is that a useless conversation?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.